View Single Post
Old 05-28-2022, 02:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

These stories are scary! I have a couple.

We used to go camping at a lake with my family and a couple other families when I was little. I was around 5. All the kids would roam around in a big pack without much (if any) adult supervision (keep in mind that this was 50 years ago). One day, they had closed the swimming area of the lake because someone had seen a snake so I was standing on the dock extending from a snack-bar over the lake. All the lifeguards were off trying to find the snake to see if it was venomous, I guess. A mentally disabled boy came up behind me and pushed me in -- I suppose thinking it was a joke. But, I couldn't swim yet and I distinctly remember drowning until a nice teenage girl jumped in and saved my life.

The second time was a couple years ago. We were hiking out in the wilderness -- really far from anywhere in Southern Utah. We were hiking a remote slot canyon and I was almost bit by a rattlesnake that rose up to strike right in front of me (I was in the lead). My daughter screamed or I wouldn't even have seen it. Normally a rattlesnake bite isn't fatal but we were HOURS from anywhere to get help and had no cell service so I sometimes think about how very badly that could have gone wrong if she hadn't seen it.