View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 01:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Tell me about it! My oldest is 11. He's at that in between age where he has outgrown toys, isn't interested in clothes, and already has all the electronics we want him to have. In the long term he appreciates gift cards (ie, 3 months down the road when there's something he wants to buy) but he isn't excited to open them. He's getting a video game, a few science kits that I hope will grab his attention (building a motor, gummy candy making), books, a Sports Illustrated for Kids subscription, and some cash and gift cards.
My DH said..."at that age 11 (or 12) I started programming. Time to turn them from a consumer of electronics to a creator of electronics."

Science kits sound like a great idea!

My son is only 8 and I can already see that what's coming is the change where boys have to make the switch from being entertained to learning a real life skill be it carpentry, car mechanics, cooking, house painting, gardening, or whatever. I think this is especially important that someone actually take the time to teach boys practical skills of how to make their way in the world. I'm sure there are exceptions, but most of the girls I know have this creative hutzpah already. But somehow the boys need a kick in the pants.