View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 10:42 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

For me, deciding how much I wanted to share online came down to what my ultimate purpose was in sharing pages online (with respect to scrapbooking, at least; other social media has different criteria for me). I got into digital scrapbooking through another forum, and the first page I ever made and posted was for one of their challenges. At that point, I'd been on social media for several years, and my only family was (and still is) my family of origin. My sister is a grown adult; I don't mind sharing photos of her and my family, even though they're not big on social media. Because I started sharing pages to take part in challenges and get feedback on my pages, I didn't mind so much how much was on them. They were also pretty impersonal vacation pages, as far as personally identifying features went (I've since met one lady who was on the same site and I didn't even realize it was her until I saw her on instagram later). I didn't mind blurring out anything too personal because the goal of sharing was participating in challenges; if anything qualifying had to be blurred out, then it wouldn't be a good fit so I did something else.

Once I went beyond vacation scrapping, suddenly there were more personally identifying things. I don't mind posting any photos that wouldn't be visible on my facebook profile. The journaling I don't worry about so much; I don't do the intensive emotional outpouring in my own scrapbooking so I don't withhold posting on that. That said, with my current job, many of the integral story parts I scrapbook about are bound up in confidentiality (the downside of having coworkers as friends). I can't share certain things on social media, so it's not a big deal to me to do a quick read through of my journaling and blur out the stuff I can't share online (or anything that would reflect poorly on me if an employer found out, like about going out or bad language. I think most scrapping sites from on that anyway, so it's easy to gloss over). Since most of the pages I post here are for the bingo challenges, as long as the rest of the page fits the requirements, I don't worry about blurry spots. Anything too borderline I just don't post. Honestly, I'm also just lazy and plenty of pages I do that are just run of the mill, no challenge attached, I don't even bother to post online.

Another weird privacy quick, that isn't technically private as it's not too too hard to connect the dots; I just keep my personal social media away from my scrapbooking. I'm more concerned about my real life friends/coworkers finding my scrapping identity! I occasionally post to instagram and technically my friends can find my stuff if they're willing to put in the time, but I generally keep that part of my life separate. Because I am on social media, better photos of me are available to any creepers who want to use them for sketchy purposes, so I've stopped worrying about my scrapping ones.

I don't have kids yet, so I'm not yet in the position of having to make that call. I'd like to think I'd err on the side of caution and just try not to post anything to identifying or embarrassing; whether that means having a ton of blurred out words/photos or just deleting journaling, I don't know yet. If my goal in sharing these layouts was to give family/friends a way to look at my stuff, I'd probably just stick uncensored layouts in a private photobucket or facebook album (or whatever the current site is for private photo sharing), and put the ones I want to share with other scrappy people in a gallery with everything blurred out, as I like to hope that the composition/journaling of my pages generally gets across the story I want to tell. Now, if it comes out in the news that scrapbook sites are being mined for personal info/photos, then I'll probably change my mind; however (and I may be totally off-base), scrapping sites have always seemed pretty far off the radar because of the work it'd take to pull the (relatively) low res photos away from all the flowers and papers. And there's my unexpected novel on internet privacy - I didn't mean for it to get this long!