View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 07:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I encourage everyone to get some of their stories down. Just look at how many people have already said that they wished they had stories from their grandma.

My grandma is in hospice. We had a gathering of my sisters, my mother and myself to sit and visit with grandma. We talked about different stories that grandma had told us over the years. Later my grandmother told my mother that this gathering and reminiscing about her life was the best morning ever.

I'm now realizing that I need to write down grandma's stories because I'm the one who remembers a lot of the details...and now I'm starting to forget. And grandma is no longer able to "fill in" details. I probably know stories about my grandma's life that my sisters didn't know and the great grandchildren definitely don't know.

You can choose which stories to tell and which stories to keep to yourself. You don't have to tell everything. Your family might like to know more about family traditions, a silly story from your childhood, what life was like when you were growing up, etc. If it is difficult to write a story about yourself, maybe start with a story about you and your grandma or a favorite aunt and what it was like to visit, something she taught you, what you remember from her kitchen, what she would wear or how she would let you do something at her house that you didn't do at your own house.

It would be a bit sad to leave our children/grandchildren/nieces/nephews all of these scrapbooks about their lives only to have them wish they knew more about us.

Last edited by scrap2day; 07-07-2018 at 07:28 AM.