Old 05-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Currently Reading Week of 5/8

What's the last book you finished?
What are you reading right now?
What's on your TBR?

What's the last book you finished?

The Boneshaker by Kate Milford - Middle grade fantasy and I really enjoyed it.

The Returned by Jason Mott - this has been on my TBR since I watched the French TV series inspired by the book a couple of years ago..since then there have been 2 American series "inspired" by it but after reading the book the tv versions are VERY different. It was a good read though I gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

The Lightening Thief (read with my kids and they loved it)

Fallen Beauty by Erika Roebuck I had some issues with this...unlikeable characters but the writing style was good..I gave it 3 out of 5 stars.

The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion I'd been meaning to read this for a while b/c the main character has Aspergers. It was just okay though...there were a few laugh out loud moments and the love story was okay but I found the main character a little too much like Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory and I think he's a caricature of most Aspies. 3 out of 5 stars.

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte I've read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre countless times but for some reason had never picked this one up. Honestly it just wasn't as good as her sisters' novels for me. Good but not great.

Grange House by Sarah Blake Beautiful writing which creates an excellent Victorian Era atmosphere..the characters were interesting, to plot needed some work. 3 out of 5 stars.

Hush by Donna Jo Napoli YA historical fiction set during the time of the Vikings about an Irish Princess who is taken prisoner and sold as a slave. I thought it was very good.

I finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell on Audible. FYI this is being made into a miniseries on BBC..which hopefully will come to BBC America too. It was good...I don't think it was for everyone but I enjoyed it. It's like an alternate history/magical realism kind of story set in 19th century England where Magic was real and an integral part of British history.

What are you reading right now?

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

On Audible - Moby Dick by Hermen Melville

The Thickety by J.A. White

and with the kids - The Witches by Roald Dahl

What's on your TBR?

On Audible - The Martian by Andy Weir

and I think I'm going to finally pick up the All Soul's Trilogy starting with
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness