View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm
Default Sugar Baby with Piracy Questions/Comments

Ok, so I've joined a few sites (am I allowed to mention which ones?) <shrugs shoulders> Guess it doesn't really matter. anyway.

EVERY place I look there are freebies offered. If it's a freebie, is it considered piracy?????? There are also sites that offer free downloads that do not recognize the designer. I cannot remember the actual site but have gone there a few times via a Google search of "free digital scrapbooking".

THAT being said.... I've also seen "kits" made by people who say "I made this new kit" and when doing a search on the internet, I'll find the exact same backgrounds (images) they say they made and yet, they are just there. Taken from the internet to use in a kit. IF you get images from the internet and use it in a kit-how is that any more yours than if I just use it from the internet but not the entire kit? (I ask bc I've been questioned about the use of this such bg without using the whole kit).

As an artist (writer), I completely understand the issue with piracy but if it's offered for free, it seems there is a bit of a gray area that should be addressed. I would not want someone to plagairize my material but at the same time, I also wouldn't put it out there as "free" either. I guess this is where I'm confused!

On another note... I OFTEN, do not use an entire kit (probably why my stuff doesn't have the same solid elemental feel as the ones I've seen here) but a mix of stuff from various sources. I've not been able (thus far) to keep track, but EVERY single piece is either from a free download or something I've put together myself (grabbed off Google images-no copyrights listed) or made by myself. In instances where I use other sources, I will happily give credit to "someone" but often (almost always?) I just blanket it with.... I do not know where I got this or that, but I did not make it. It was from a free download. I commend all of you who are able to keep track of the different pieces of kits you've used!!!! HOW DO YOU DO IT!!!??!!?!?!?

and finally..... what is the difference between "pirating" these works and those who use Microsoft Office, PSP, PSE and allow their friends/family to use the same cd?

I'm done... I'll be posting a "hello, I'm new here" thread in a few mins.