Thread: Dropped my EHD!
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 04:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Dropped my EHD!

I've got to tell "someone who understands." None of our little faces available look like the sad, crying way that I feel. (This is the "crying" face: )

I've been having issues with my EHD. Like it has to be unplugged and plugged back in where the plug enters the EHD. Add to it that my old laptop (the only laptop I have) only has one working USB port these days. Because of that, I only had my wireless mouse plugged in for several months or half a year. I wasn't scrapping during that time so I didn't mind not having access to my scrap supplies. And...I've used Carbonite for years (ten or so) to back up my computer and EHD. But, I noticed recently that the dot (showing what's backed up or not) has not been green on things that it should be. I've been "meaning" to contact Carbonite about that but hadn't gotten around to it. I recently bought a USB hub port thing that lets me plug in four things using the one port on the computer. Well, that lets me have my mouse AND the EHD plugged in at the same time. But, that's a lot of cords and things to carry around every time I want to move to a different room: the computer power cord, the USB hub power cord, the USB hub, the EHD, the cord connecting the EHD to the hub, the cord connecting the hub to the computer, the mouse. It's a disaster waiting to happen!

And it did! Last night.
I dropped the EHD. The back popped off. When I plugged it in, I was sooooo relieved to be able to see the folders, files and pictures of my chlldren as babies and toddlers!

But...this morning I got the message.
The device has failed.
Got that message all day.
I've had to put the situation on the back burner.
Homeschool to do, piano lessons to go to, etc.

I've finally had a chance to see what I could do. My fear was/is that Carbonite does not have my EHD files because it wasn't plugged in for so long as it used to be. (But lately it has been.) Or because my green dots haven't all been green. I dug around on the Carbonite site, settings, what-have-you and found where I could tell it to restore the files from that drive. Then I dug around and found the EHD that was given to me as a gift 5 or more years ago that I've never even opened. Plugged that shiny thing in and told Carbonite to restore those files!

Cross your fingers with me that it truly is doing that as I type. It shows that it is. I don't want to click on anything else dealing with my files, with the EHD or with Carbonite until it says it is done. So, I can't peek right now to see.

I will surely be contacting Carbonite (probably tomorrow since it is getting later in the day now) about making all of my green dots show up correctly. And I will be velcro-ing the EHD and probably the USB hub to my computer top/lid so that it isn't getting moved all around anymore.

I just looked longingly over at the brand new desktop computer we bought a month or so ago. I have not tried installing PS on it yet. I use CS5 and had it before they started doing monthly/yearly subscription versions. (Some of you know I've said somewhere around here that I took a break from scrapping for around 7 years. Long story.) I have a hard time picturing scrapping only in that one spot and I don't know if I can put the PS CS5 that I use on both computers.

Anyway, sorry for the LONG story. Just had to get it off my chest.

I feel a little ridiculous praying for help with something that I tell myself isn't that important in the big picture of life. But, I'll admit, I did say a number of prayers.

Thanks for listening.
I'll go stalk the thread that I saw recently about backing things up!

p.s. It says the folders have been restored and now it's working on the files. Says 30 hours to go.

Last edited by SweetChar; 03-12-2020 at 05:11 PM.