View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 12:32 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Something I do with my kids is after they read any assigned reading material: they have to narrate and tell me what they read. If they don't, they get electronics taken away. This helps with reading comprehension and helps them remember the story better. It's like when you have a dream...you remember it 10 times better if you tell someone or write it down.

You can have your daughter do this after each section that you read. This way you can see what she gets out of it and see what she understands. If reading bigger portions makes the comprehension harder, then have her read one paragraph and narrate, then one page, then more pages. Build up on it. Show her how to narrate if she doesn't understand.

Cliff Notes on the book will probably help you help her.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
My middle, who has a learning disability and a really bad reading level/comprehension is reading To Kill a Mockingbird. She's struggling to follow with the classwork because she's not grasping what she's reading. This weekend, my oldest and I going to start reading to her and helping her understand the book. It's going to be a challenge, getting her to understand what we are reading (we'll probably retell it to her), but my goal is to get her a passing grade so she gets the credit towards graduation