View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 03:19 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

We just finished week two of distance learning here in Charlotte with my two high schoolers and it's been super smooth. I have a parent account on Canvas and can observe their assignments / lectures if I want. Our district sent home chromebooks for every student in the district so the kids all had the same materials / access. You can tell they've been working on this for months and it's looking good over here in NC!

We initially were given the option of opting in to remote learning vs. in person classes (we opted in because I just cant see sending the kids back to school as being safe), but within a week of giving parents the option, the district had said that ALL students would be remote for the first part of the year, so that was that. Since we opted in to remote learning, they don't have the option of switching back to in person classes until after the first semester ends, so we'll re-evaluate things in Dec/Jan and see what we're going to do for second semester. Its not an issue for my senior because she's graduating early and is done in Jan, but for my 10th grader... we shall see. A LOT will have to change for me to feel comfortable sending him back frankly.

All of that said, I feel incredibly grateful that I have older kids who are independent learners. I think I would lose my mind if I had 3 elementary school kids that I had to suddenly teach or keep focused on computers for classes all day or do ceramics with... good lord, you girls doing that are heroic!