View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I make my own laundry detergent as well. I also make my own liquid fabric softener. It can be put on a cloth, allowed to dry and then used in the dryer as a dryer sheet. I use vinegar in a downy ball as well. I don't hang clothes to dry because we have no clothes line, but that is something we have in the plan. Of course, days like today it wouldn't work. It's iced over outside. I also make most of my own cleaning supplies. I buy bleach and clorox wipes. The wipes are pricey but I use them for everything all the time and it's one of my splurges.

I use coupons and combine with sales. I look for deals online. I buy 2nd hand. I upcycle whenever possible and make do with what we have.

I plan meals but also stock up when I find a good price on something we use a lot. This allows us to eat from the freezer/cabinets about one week a month saving me grocery money then. I cut corners on things when ever I can. I add extra pasta to some of our dishes to make them stretch farther. I buy a gallon of whole milk and divide it between two gallon jugs and then add water to it. It tastes just like the 2% that we used to buy. My kids pack meals for lunches, DH takes snacks to work, so none of us is eating out when we could be eating at home. I eat dinner leftovers for lunch the next day since I'm the only one home at lunch time. I have a soda habit so I take a 2 liter bottle to work with me and use it instead of buying drinks from the vending machine at $1 a bottle. One 2 liter lasts me over a week at work or I could go through a bottle from the vending machine every day.

We borrow books, movies and music from the library. I wait for Amazon credits for music too. There is always some promotion going on to get free mp3 credits. I mostly read free Kindle books too. We rarely go out to the movies. When we do rent movies we use RedBox and usually use a code for a free movie so we rarely pay for movie rentals. We don't buy movies and rarely buy books. When I do buy books it is discounted through Scholastic for the kids.

Unplug everything electronic that is not being used. Appliances take up a lot of energy even when they are not turned on. We put things on those surge protector strips that have the on/off toggle and just toggle it off at night or when not in use. We keep our heater set to 67 degrees during the times the family is home and awake. We set it to 65 when we are asleep or gone. I'd go lower but we have pets to think about and if we go too low our auxiliary heat kicks to natural gas and gas costs more than electric so we like our heat pump to be more efficient and use electric only as much as possible. When I bake I usually bake everything that needs to be done for a few days at once. If the oven is going to be on and pre-heated I may as well make use of that and get all the baking out of the way rather than heat up a cold oven a few different times. We got programmable thermostats for both upstairs and downstairs (upstairs is a separate heating unit). That makes a big difference in our bill.

We dropped our cell phone plans and went to a $25/mo plan where we get 300 minutes and unlimited text and data. We still have 2 cell phones in the family but we are saving over $70 a month by dropping our plan. When I want to use my tablet and I can't get free WiFi somewhere, I turn my cell phone into a hot spot and connect my tablet through that. Saves me having to have some kind of wireless plan for my tablet. We do the same for the kids' iPods. We use Vonage for our home phone. It isn't necessary but my daughter is 10 now and likes to chat with her friends so it saves her using up all of our minutes... especially since she isn't getting a cell phone for a while.

I do lots of other things to save money. Some things people might find a little extreme but I don't do anything that seems crazy to me.