View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 02:09 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

When my mom was diagnosed with cancer, my dad and I did pretty much everything when she wasn't in the hospital or transitional care but the last time they sent her home, we knew we couldn't do it on our own as she couldn't walk or anything. We had to get her a 24 hour caregiver which I understand isn't always an option. She ended up passing away just a week later but having the caregivers eased both her and us tremendously. My mom was quite agitated at the end due to the effects of the tumors in her brain but was often calmed when the caregivers would sing to her. Didn't matter what they sang. One sweet girl could only think of Christmas songs so that's what she sang to her (and it happened to be my mom's favorite holiday) - even though this was happening in July.

Perhaps consider having a professional caregiver for a few hours each day? If it's every day and through an agency, then you will likely only have two different people involved so they can learn routines and your mom well. It will give you much needed respite and your mom will likely grow used to them as well. You can't be an effective caregiver if you aren't taken care of yourself.

Hugs to you!