View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 04:22 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
"And having said that, I'd also like to point out that once a gift is given, the giver has no control over what happens to it. Don't feel guilty if you donate/throw out stuff your MIL gives your kids" - totally agree :-) Our DIL has told us she has given things away that we've given to the kiddos - it makes me feel good that someone else can enjoy the items.
I know a mom who says "no presents" at birthday parties and she really means it... she makes it clear (to guests and to her kids) before the party that if someone brings a present, it will be donated to a local children's organization. And then.....she actually does donate it! I think it's awesome, love the lesson she's teaching her kids, but I don't know if my constitution is strong enough, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post
My parents live in South Dakota, we are in PA. They see them once every 2-3 years and usually listens to me... not always. lol. But luckily they usually jut do gift cards now. My mother used to work at Walmart and used to give the kids lots of cheap junk....
My mom often buys my kids cheap junk, but always tells us to get rid of it as soon as the kids have had their initial fun with it. (Sometimes, it doesn't even make it home with us, they play with it at her house & we leave it there for her to toss). My MIL, on the other hand, buys cheap junk for my kids and then will ask about it every time we see her. "Don't you play with [insert description of cheap junk here] anymore?" Good grief...

Last edited by knittingbec; 05-29-2019 at 04:29 AM.