View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 07:47 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angbrey View Post
I'm a photographer and trust me....backup is critical. I've had 2 seagates crash on me and I currently have 2 seagates and 10 WD ext hd's. I buy two at a time so they both have the same files on them - they are always completely identical....when I update one, I update the other. I use stickers to identify them, plus I keep a screenshot of all the folders on them and print them out, and put them in a storage case along with the drive. My husband keeps the backup at his office for me, and when I need him to bring one home so I can update it, it's easily identifiable with an id tag that I made and laminated. I purchased protective cases for them on amazon.

BACKBLAZE....I can't recommend them highly enough!
Unlimited storage!! And for only $60/yr.
I currently have about 20 terabytes or so backed up.
It takes weeks or so when you first connect....don't be surprised that it may feel like taking forever to initially backup....because it does take forever.

***Here's the thing about most cloud storage. You must connect your drive(s) to the internet at least once in a 30 day period to have your drive flagged as an active drive. If you don't connect, that drive gets flagged as inactive and you are at risk of all that info being deleted from your backup. What I love about Backblaze is that now....you can connect at least once a year if you purchase that plan. They will still recommend you connect at least once a month or two...but at least it's an option for those who may need it. They yearly plan is still very reasonable at $84/yr. No matter what service you may use for cloud backup....and you have external hd's on that service, double check the specifications to make sure you don't lose anything if you haven't connected in awhile. It's been an unfortunate and sad reality when I've had a few different photo friends find out the hard way they lost backups because they didn't realize they had to connect to the internet periodically. I was prepared when I purchased backblaze. I've been using them for 4 years now and I have absolutely no complaints.

If you need a data recovery service let me know....I can send you a referral that has done excellent recovery for some photog friends that had computer crashes or viruses. ♥
Thank you so much for your testimonial! I’m strongly thinking about it and even might have my husband convinced even though I think I told him about something like that before and he shot the idea down. I do rely on him because I don’t earn any money for the family so I take his opinion into account. But losing it all is devastating so YES!

I also got 2 EHD this time around and am planning to do like you. Make a copy of the EHD everytime.

Nat!! Yay! This is good! That way you will never lose your beautiful designs!