Thread: Lettering Help
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2020, 12:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
She is completely new to me. We looked her up on my daughter's IG and hopefully she'll start following her to learn lettering!

This was recommended last year to her but it became too confusing for her matching up the lines to make legible words.

She'll keep at it though. She's determined, it's how she got in to drawing. She wanted to do it and she's making it happen. The same will be for the lettering--it just might take her a bit longer because writing is her nemesis!
The trick with calligraphy pens is to keep the tip of the pen at a set angle - usually 45 degrees from horizontal with the left side lower than the right. As you stroke the letters, the angle of the pen tip makes the fat and thin parts for you. My dad was a graphic artist and used to hand letter everything - I loved watching him.

What makes calligraphy so pretty in part is the consistency in size and shape of the letters, as well as the flourishes people add. A graphic artist learns the consistency by practicing with guidelines, and a lot of the time uses them even when they are 'professional' to achieve that. My dad's desk was a big huge light table so that he could have several layers of paper stacked on top of each other and see through them to help him letter consistently without having to draw and erase pencil lines all of the time. I loved his squishy rubber eraser that would pull up the pencil marks neatly without tearing delicate papers, it was fun to play with