Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy
Default random toddler question

I hate to even post this but I'm not sure what else to do.

Madelyn is my 16 month old. She's always had (tmi) really acidic poop and we've always had a bad time with her having diaper rash. When I took her for her 15 mo. appointment she had a bit of a yeast infection, we've totally dealt with that before, they prescribed her Nystatin, like always and I assumed it would be ok. Well, almost 2 weeks later, it's still not any better, in fact, it's almost gotten worse. Have any of you had any experience like this? I haven't tried my old standby of Maalox and Aquaphor, think that's worth a try? She doesn't complain about it since it's technically not diaper rash, but I'm guessing it can't be good for her.

HELP!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My DD had yeast infections too, but not the acidic poop. I'm not a health nut or doctor or anything but both of those things sound like there might be an acidic imbalance in her body... My daughter does better (and I do too!) If we eat way more alkaline foods than acid foods. When I'm watching this, her yeast infections don't reoccur. Google acid alkaline food lists. Take a look, and see if you can add more alkaline foods to her diet? Yeast thrives in acidic environments.

My Etsy Shop
Proud to be creating for :
Old 08-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I know eating yogurt will help get rid of a yeast infection. It's worth a shot if she'll eat yogurt.

Penny
Old 08-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

Definitely, yogurt. This is the best thing for any type of urinary or yeast infections. Try it every other day to get her started. Do not use go-gurt and such things they do not have as good as an active bacteria. Make sure you get something that has the actual bacteria in it. Also, try Pedialyte. This is supposed to help balance things out.

Just my opinion but try the BRAT treatment diet. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast. These are all really calming things for your digestives.

Last but not least do not give her any type of tylenol ect. This will worsen things than you can even believe.

Most importantly, for the rash because of it. Use Cornstarch. I know this sounds weird. It truly is the best thing for such things. I have 6 kids and I have tried everything put on the market (they didn't work or made it worse!). This is a natural product and very inexpensive. I just put a bunch on the rash and cover it with the diaper. In two days it will naturally remove the moisture and help the baby.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:19 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

My DS had a diaper rash that didn't clear from normal yeast treatment. I took him back to the doctor and it was a bacterial rash that had developed. So I would get another opinion from a Dr. If it is yeast that isn't clearing up ask for some Sylvadine to help with the redness. That usually clears it right up.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

by all means, look into it some more. We can't just accept Nystatin or the other old stand-by's sometimes...Naomi had a rash that wouldn't go away for anything about 18 months ago. We had no choice but to see a dermatologist and nutritionist...we were desperate. We finally got approval for a newer drug that my insurance didn't want to cover...Vusion. It was a much better cream for her and solved the problem immediately. This was after trying yeast creams, bacterial creams, steroids, triple paste, boudreaux's, cornstarch, aveeno, air treatment, you name it. I know how terrible it can be!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DD had poop so runny and acidic that she would bleed. They never could find anything wrong with her, turned out it was allergies. Since we got her away from peanuts no more scary poops!
Old 08-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

thanks you guys! She's always had real acidic poop, no matter what we do with her diet. Drives me insane. I will definitely try the cornstarch and thank you for the tip about tylenol...I didn't know that!

I may be giving the doctor another call on Monday. I hate to see the rash just hanging around!

Old 08-22-2009, 02:25 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

one other thing that is kinda hard to do with someone that age is to let them go diaperless for a little while. Another thing you might consider is that she might be allergic to the diaper you are using. I know I could not use Huggies for any of my kids. The last thing I would wonder is if she has been on any antibiotics recently? When mine were little and they were on antibiotics the pediatrician would tell me to give them at least one yogurt a day.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesmom View Post
My DD had poop so runny and acidic that she would bleed. They never could find anything wrong with her, turned out it was allergies. Since we got her away from peanuts no more scary poops!
Talk to your dr about this too. Sometimes, the allergy shows up as an irritation in the intestines... resulting in rash and nature of the poop.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My dd used to get yeast infections and our pediatrician recommended baking soda in the bath for three nights consecutive. In addition, she told us to stop using the bath/baby soaps to wash (as she is even sensitive to all soaps) and wait to wash her hair until the very end of bath, every other day. The only soap on the market that she can use without a weird reaction or yeast infection is Cetaphil. It is kind of expensive, but that is all we use now and we haven't had any issues since.

Sweet Shoppe Gallery
Tiffany's Tidbits
Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I am not a doctor or nurse, but I do work at a hospital and I know that yogurt does help with yeast infetions and she may have just built up an iummunity to the Nystain so it is not strong enough for her body anymore so whe may need a different medication....not sure I am right, but this is my experience~
Old 08-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DS had a yeast infection that didn't get better, and when I took him back in he actually had a type of staph infection They gave me two different creams to mix and apply and it was gone soon after I started that treatment. Maybe you should just take her back in? Better safe than sorry
Old 08-29-2009, 07:38 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

well, I quit using the Nystatin, and I really think she was allergic to it. I used just some of the regular ol' butt cream I had (A&D), slathered it on her 3 times a day and then used cornstarch at night...and *knock on wood* she's ok now. darik is allergic to many different skin cremes and stuff so I should have totally thought about that.