Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default A conversation with a 9 yo

Okay - so we all know as a parent that you never know what is going to come out of your child's mouth. Here's a conversation I had in the drop off line with my daughter Hannah (9).

Madonna's Like a Virgin playing in the background.

H - Mom, I thought this was a Weird Al song, but there is a girl sining.
M - Well, this is Madonna singing and she sang the song first and then Weird Al made the funny version.
H - What is his version?
M - LIke a Surgeon.
H - oh yeah.
Quite for a minute

H - Virgin means being from another country right?
M - Um, no. (panic sets in) It means that have not had sex.
H - Oh so I'm a virgin and you aren't. You know, because you're married.
M - Yes I'm married and I've had two kids. ( Please don't ask me anything else about sex...must change subject. Then a light goes off in my head...I see an opportunity here to remind her that sex is for adults, not kids.) So you know that each person controls their own body and their own beliefs right?
H - Yes
M -So each person can decide when it's right for them to have sex after they are an adult, but it's better to wait until you are married because having a baby without a husband can be really hard. What do you think?
H - I think you should wait until you are married. (thinks a minute) Yeah, well you should wait until you are at least 20 or in your last year of college and your classes are easy because babies are definitely hard work.

OMG - you have no idea when these conversations are going to happen but I have to say that as a mom this conversation was a WHOLE lot easier than the conversation about where babies come from. Especially since we have a friends who 17 yo daughter had a baby last year. Total eye opener that this kid is totally aware of what is going on around her.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Virgin means being from another country?

Why yes, sweetie... yes it does.

I think you handled that really well, Juli!!! It's definitely the type of question that can come up any time when you're not expecting it to! Thankfully my oldest isn't close to asking these type of questions yet. Your story will teach me to be prepared with an answer.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

this whole convo just scares me. emma's a pretty naive 6 and i plan on keeping it that way it's the 4 year old i'm scared of....

Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

LOL iDie. 20 and last year of college? she must be a wiz!
Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh my !! that's funny and also terrifies me too LOL! my 5 year old and i were talking the other day about something - maybe how old she had to be to get her ears pierced, and then drive a car ... i told her she had to be 16 to drive a car - and then she said "yes, and then i can get married too! yay!" ... ummmmmm ......

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 04-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL - oh my! Great job though Juli!

My boys don't ask me a lot of questions - they take them to their dad (yay!). But when the older boys go out I always say "no drinking, no drugs, no sex" and I get the "I knooooow Mom."

Scary times are afoot in my household!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm so glad we're not there yet. My girls are a very young 6, and they're very sheltered(for lack of a better word). I know they won't stay that way forever though!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We've had a few awkward conversations over the years. When my daughter was 3, we were on our way to preschool and we were chatting. She asked if I liked her outfit. I told her that I did. She said "good, I wore it because it makes me look hot and sexy!" I wanted to die right then. She had no idea what either word meant but had heard it on TV. I asked her what hot and sexy meant and she said "pretty and cute". I told her she had the right idea but that those were adult words and she shouldn't use them right now. I really had no idea what else to tell her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana View Post
oh my !! that's funny and also terrifies me too LOL! my 5 year old and i were talking the other day about something - maybe how old she had to be to get her ears pierced, and then drive a car ... i told her she had to be 16 to drive a car - and then she said "yes, and then i can get married too! yay!" ... ummmmmm ......
The mention of ears pierced and marriage reminds me of my daughter. She was 3 and in her first year of preschool. She came to us one day and said she was going to marry Joe (I think his name was, he was a twin and it was either him or his brother she wanted to marry). I told her that was fine but she had to wait until she was much older to get married. She said "Yes, mom, I know, I will get married when I am 5." It was hard not to laugh. She told her teacher at preschool the next day that she was going to marry this boy. The teacher talked about how we don't get married in preschool. Later, my daughter told my grandma that she was going to get married "as soon as I turn 5 and get my ears pierced." Grandma asked her if she thought there was anything else she should do before she got married and Caitrin answered "I should probably clean my room"
Old 04-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I think you did a great job.

My DD (just turned 11) came to me the other day and informed me that she wasn't having sex until she was 26 because she didn't want to have babies before then. And then later changed it to I don't think I'm ever going to have sex because "I want to adopt and not carry a baby in my uvula, or whatever it's called, for 9 months". Think she'd be mortified if I scrapbooked about this???

For the record as soon as she said uvula she realized she used the wrong anatomy term...she just couldn't think of the right one, which is why she continued with or whatever it's called..she cracks me up some days.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This thread is cracking me up (apart from the scary talks that are going to happen with my girls one day).

uvula....ROFL!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Oh, wow, so don't look forward to talks about this yet either, but funny to hear about it from others. I think you did good, Juli.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Lol Way to steer that one in the right direction, Juli. My oldest dd is 9 also and that sounds just like a convo that happens around our house...
Old 04-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Mine are 16 and 11. So many fun conversations.

Good job, mom!
Old 04-12-2012, 06:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My daughter has known the basics since she was 6 because I was pregnant and she asked how the baby got inside me. We have had several discussions about it since then. One I clearly remember when she came home and told me a girl in middle school she knew was pregnant. We talked then about my expectations and how she should wait and about birth control and STD's. It was super easy to talk to her about that kinda stuff much more awkward with either of my boys.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

How can this be so funny and so mortally terrifying at the same time?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Classic!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ROTFL
Old 04-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mye

LOL! You did a good job sweetie - it isn't very easy to explain, really. Mine are 6 and they are still naive. Well, except that one time they saw a kissing scene and now they are doing it! Imagine the shock in my face when i saw it happened. Kids!