Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Canon G12 camera....who has it????

So Tara and I were talking on IM last week and she told me she has this camera and LOVES it. I currently have a DRebel Xsi and am contemplating selling it plus the extra lenses I have for it. Reason? I do not use the camera to its full potential. I have taken classes to learn to shoot in manual but its like math to me. I.JUST.DONT.GET.IT. So since Im never going to be more than a mom with a camera I was considering downsizing to something more compact that also has video capabilities. I know the G12 is not compact but its smaller than the DRebel.

I've toyed with the idea of selling my camera before but always talked myself out of it. So, will I regret this decision?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh and do you have any "extras" for it? Can you get an external flash for it?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You can get extras for it. I don't have any of them though. Honestly Amber.......I haven't had a need for any of the extras. I am impressed with the zoom and the built in flash. It rocks photos in auto even in low light situations. It does have manual controls so if you wanted to tweak it you could. I know we have already chatted about this.............but girl, it is amazing. If you are not attached to your big camera and want a smaller camera.......this is THE camera for you. Seriously. I think there are a few more girls here with the G series so hopefully they pipe in too.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

If you've tried to use it, and you just aren't loving your camera, I don't think you will regret choosing one that has such glowing reviews as the G12. It sounds like a great camera and might function better for you. It's still kind of a big camera, so if that's one of the reasons you weren't using the xsi you might want to keep looking. I *heart* my rebel xsi and have (finally) learned how to shoot in manual, so I can't really see myself parting with it for a while... although I have banged it up pretty bad and I want a camera that shoots video.

I say go for it, Amber! Especially if you can sell your camera & lenses to help pay for it.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Brook- I only use my Xsi right now because I dont like DH's Canon powershot he has. So while I do like my camera Im not in love with it, kwim? I guess if I was shooting manual and was getting AH-MAY-ZING pictures with it it would be different. But like I was telling my mom- I've accepted that Im just a mom with a camera but still want to be able to take good pictures without worrying about all of the other stuff. Plus, I havent been please with the way this camera takes pics on auto, so I try P mode and use the flash diffuser that everyone here raves about, and STILL get photos that are too orange or whatever. Frustrating.

Tara- how is the speed of the shutter with the G12? I dont I wont be able to snap, snap, snap like I do with my DSLR but i dont want it to be utterly slow either.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The G12 has been on my wish list for awhile. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the G series cameras!

If you are used to shooting with a DSLR, you may feel the shutter delay.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberK View Post
Tara- how is the speed of the shutter with the G12? I dont I wont be able to snap, snap, snap like I do with my DSLR but i dont want it to be utterly slow either.
It depends on what you have it set on (shutter speed) and the lighting. It does go a bit slower in low lighting situations but not enough to frustrate me. I can do continuous shooting and it goes pretty quickly. That is how I always shoot my kiddos.......continuous. It is a must because they are quick! LOL It is really good on the self timer too......it can do continuous shoots for that as well.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Looks like my mom is wanting to buy my camera for me and so far I've seen this camera on B&HPhoto for about $360 new. So I have the cost of the new camera covered with the sale of my old one! And I have a couple of extra lenses that she doesnt want that I need to sell too! WOOT! Im kinda excited about this but I do want to go to the store and play with it first.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracotta7 View Post
It depends on what you have it set on (shutter speed) and the lighting. It does go a bit slower in low lighting situations but not enough to frustrate me. I can do continuous shooting and it goes pretty quickly. That is how I always shoot my kiddos.......continuous. It is a must because they are quick! LOL It is really good on the self timer too......it can do continuous shoots for that as well.
THANK YOU! This is very helpful!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Looks like my mom is wanting to buy my camera for me and so far I've seen this camera on B&HPhoto for about $360 new. So I have the cost of the new camera covered with the sale of my old one! And I have a couple of extra lenses that she doesnt want that I need to sell too! WOOT! Im kinda excited about this but I do want to go to the store and play with it first.
Yay! I hope you get it soon!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

O.M.G - LOVE the G12! It's not as "smooth" as a rebel, but if you aren't hard core dslr, you will love the G12 - I have three cameras and this is the one I use most... I also have a canon powershot - hate it - kiddo now plays with it... and a rebel dslr.

Yes, try it out and see how you like it... it's not a lightweight like the powershot, but lighter than the rebel.

Oh, and this is the first time since going digi camera (what 10 years?) that it has been a year since getting the g12 and I'm not crying to hubby that I need a new camera... and he LOVES that!! haha I just love this camera so much!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Good to hear! Right now I only have a Canon Powershot, and I'd like to move up but a DSLR is too much camera for me. I've been thinking about getting a G12, or whatever the equivalent is in 6 months or so when I'm ready to buy.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Tara or Rebekah- do you ever have problems with pictures being grainy and not very crisp?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Tara or Rebekah- do you ever have problems with pictures being grainy and not very crisp?
Um, I haven't noticed an issue. There was once I took a pic in the movie theater when the lights were out that didn't turn out so hot but that was because I turned off my flash. Didn't want to irritate people around me. I am sure if I had my flash on that it would of turned out fine.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

so I went to Best Buy to look at the camera and the dude was telling me that it is a good camera but Canons tend to me grainy with the zoom. He was showing me the Sony Cybershot DSC-HX200v and the Nikon CoolpixP510. They are both bigger cameras than the G12 but he told me the pictures they take are much crisper. GAH. I hate chosing cameras. I've always been a Canon girl and what I like about the G12 is the size and the rotating LCD screen. The dials on the top looked funny to me but I could probably get used to it.

Also, the digital zoom on this camera was only 5x where as the Nikon was like 41x and the Sony was 37x. Im wondering how much of a difference this will be since I wont have interchangeable lenses to use with a smaller camera.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I haven't noticed any graininess, either. The photos that don't turn out for me is when I'm playing with the manual settings and don't know what I'm doing. haha

as for zooming... I just now zoom with my feet. I tried the nikon and I've never been that happy with their point and shoot models... as a disclaimer, I've only had it for a few days before I took it back for a canon.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

don't know if this helps...

Here is my old canon poweshoot point and shoot, zoomed out...

And here is the G12 - 14 hours after getting it - and haven't even had time to read the manual... on auto, no flash in a dark arena... zoomed out
Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had a Sony Cybershot before I got my DSLR. LOVED THAT THING!!! It took fantastic crisp photos and in fact, when I got my DSLR, I was so disappointed in the quality compared to the Sony. I'd probably still be using it but it finally broke. This was years ago - probably 10, so it was one of the first ones they had. But it had that extended lens and you could get other lenses for it. It took videos too. (grabbed this pic from google - look how old this camera looks! LOL)

If I didn't need my 300 zoom and fast shutter for sports, I'd be thinking about going back to a new Sony myself.

Have fun with whatever you choose Amber!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
so I went to Best Buy to look at the camera and the dude was telling me that it is a good camera but Canons tend to me grainy with the zoom. He was showing me the Sony Cybershot DSC-HX200v and the Nikon CoolpixP510. They are both bigger cameras than the G12 but he told me the pictures they take are much crisper. GAH. I hate chosing cameras. I've always been a Canon girl and what I like about the G12 is the size and the rotating LCD screen. The dials on the top looked funny to me but I could probably get used to it.

Also, the digital zoom on this camera was only 5x where as the Nikon was like 41x and the Sony was 37x. Im wondering how much of a difference this will be since I wont have interchangeable lenses to use with a smaller camera.
I haven't noticed a zoom issue. Seriously. At all. I would read reviews on Best buys site and look at test freaks too. Then make a decision. ((HUGS)) I always hate this part of buying stuff. You will find the perfect camera for you. I promise.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow- those pics are great Rebecca! I just read reviews of all 3 of the cameras at steves-digicam and think that I will get the G12. I was debating on the other two for the zoom capabilities but when I broke down was the optical zoom really meant- who needs a camera that will zoom up to 1000 mm away? Ridiculous. The G12 has a range of 28-140 which is more than what my Tamron was for my DRebel so I think I will be quite happy with the 5x zoom.

Last edited by AmberK; 07-17-2012 at 11:15 PM.