Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Prayers for my baby

Hi all. Well to say last week was an emotional one doesn't even come close to capturing the actual feelings. On tuesday I had a regular OB checkup. No biggie. I went without my husband since he had to work. When the OB performed the ultrasound I saw my baby right away. Pleased to see the heartbeat flickering away. However the room closed in on me when my OB uttered the words, "I'm so sorry emily." The baby has a very large nuchal fold called a cystic hygroma which in and of itself is a great concern for chromosomal abnormalities. But the baby also has an omphalocele. Which is basically the intestines did not curve back inside the body cavity like they should at this age. Its likely the intestine will continue to develop on the outside. This is fixable, but combined with the cystic hygroma increased the odds that the baby has a chromosomal abnormality like trisomy 13 or 18. The very next morning we went in to have a cvs test done. It was not pleasant(as they went through the stomach and did not get enough of a sample, so they went a second time through the cervix) but worth enduring to get an answer. We got a call on Friday afternoon with the prelim results. All chromosomes are normal and we're having a boy. This is especially good news since they know without a doubt they were analyzing baby's dna and not mine. Prelim results at my hospital have a 90% concordance rate with the final results. So we wait for final results roughly by next Friday. If those come back normal my OB said she hopes that when we go the following week for the followup u/s that the baby is perfectly normal and the intestines have fixed themselves. I almost cried when she said it as I thought the intestine issue was absolutely set in stone as a problem. But I guess anything can happen. But even if the intestines do not sort themselves out it is still fixable. And we are at one of the best hospitals in Boston for this kind of situation. My OB is high risk already, so I won't change hands. And they have a whole host of pediatric surgeons that are well versed in operating on babies with ALL kinds of fetal anomalies. I feel awesome about the wonderful care we're recieving. Truly, God is working in this situation and I know that no matter what happens there is great good in all of this. I ask you to pray for our little boy. Pray that the final results correspond with the preliminary results. And pray that when we see him next on the u/s that he is completely perfect in every single way. Thank you so much.