Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Spin off of Cindy's Potty Training Woe

So, Keira I would consider potty trained, but at night I still have her sleep in a pull up and she still wakes up wet in the mornings.

She'll be 4 in May, should I just take the pull ups away or is this pretty normal for this age.

She does fine during the day.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think as long as she is wet in the mornings, she's not ready for night time panties yet. I wouldn't worry about it just yet. Maybe try getting her up to pee when you are going to bed and see if she's dry in the morning. Try that for a bit with the pull-ups on, then after a week or two, take them off.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Vanessa -
My MIL would say just take her out of the pullups, wake her up to pee at midniight-ish - as late as you can, and let it be. You may have to clean sheets for awhile, but soon they'll get it. Otherwise you are just training them to be bedwetters.

Our experience has been we tried this for 3 months with our youngest (will be 6 in May), and we changed sheets every single night, even WITH taking him at midnight and sometimes 4. He's just not able to hold it in his sleep. We went back to nighttime diapers (they're just cheaper and he doesn't care about not being in pullups).

So..I'll be one to say if she's still wetting at night, you've been doing all the things about restricting intake after 6pm, tons of potty breaks before bed, a late night one and she's still wetting at night, she might not be ready.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Once mine were trained during the day I didnt have them in pull-ups at night. I stopped buying them completely. I also made sure they went before they went to bed and didnt have anything to drink several hours before bedtime. That worked for us. Only had a handful of accidents for three kids altogether. Now my sisters daughter peed the bed for years and years. She was like 12 and still peeing the bed. She had been to several doctors to see if there was some issue and they all said there wasnt and as far as I know she eventually outgrew it. She is 18 now so I would assume that she has outgrown it LOL. If you are concerned you could talk to your childs doctor and see what they say but at 3 almost 4 some kids just dont have sufficient control over their bladders yet

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

My oldest was like that at almost 4 and I just got tired of spending the $$ on pull ups so I just put her in undies. I would say I chaged sheets ever night for months....but she eventually got it....it didn't bother me and it didn't bother her.....she eventually trained at night.

I'd say it's up to you...I know you work most nights so it would be Sean dealing with the wet bed and wet jammies...so make sure he doesn't mind. But if you are both on board...go for it...if you find that it's bothering her or you....you can re evealuate and perhaps go back to pull ups at night!!

But it's not uncommon for kids to still be wetting the bed at 4 years old!!!!

(((hugs))) to both of you!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Elizabeth, I think that would be my biggest worry is Sean is at home with both kids by himself and Cooper is sleeping in Keira's room. Maybe I'll try next month when I'm back on days or wait until after our move this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
My oldest was like that at almost 4 and I just got tired of spending the $$ on pull ups so I just put her in undies. I would say I chaged sheets ever night for months....but she eventually got it....it didn't bother me and it didn't bother her.....she eventually trained at night.

I'd say it's up to you...I know you work most nights so it would be Sean dealing with the wet bed and wet jammies...so make sure he doesn't mind. But if you are both on board...go for it...if you find that it's bothering her or you....you can re evealuate and perhaps go back to pull ups at night!!

But it's not uncommon for kids to still be wetting the bed at 4 years old!!!!

(((hugs))) to both of you!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks girls, I really appreciate the advice. Potty training has been a slow process with Keira and I think its because she was our first and I had no idea what to do. LOL!

Glad to know its normal though.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have asked this question several times this past year on my parenting forum and every mom tells me that they have kiddos that are ages 4-7 still wetting at night. They all tell me that it's normal and that it will just take some time. It sucks, but apparently it's not something we can train our kids to do until they are "ready"! Hang in there...I am in the same boat as I have twins that will be 5 in April and I would love to quit buying Goodnites, those suckers are expensive. But I'd rather pay for them instead of change the bed sheets on bunk beds every morning...gosh could you imagine!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My kids never wet the bed at nights. Here's what I did:

1. Do not put pull ups on them.
2. Have them go before they go to bed.
3. Nothing to drink after 6:00 (they went to bed at 8:30).
Old 03-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula View Post
My kids never wet the bed at nights. Here's what I did:

1. Do not put pull ups on them.
2. Have them go before they go to bed.
3. Nothing to drink after 6:00 (they went to bed at 8:30).
I've done all of this and still no night training success here. In fact I cut my kiddos off of liquids at 5pm and they go to bed at 7/7:30pm!
Old 03-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I've had/have 2 bedwetters and according to their doctor it is more common then people think and perfectly normal to wet the bed until they are 8. If she is waking up wet every day I would just let her be until she starts staying dry some nights.

My son is 7 and just stopped wearing pull-ups at night last summer. He decided on his own that he was done but still has accidents at least once (sometimes more) a week. He's been potty trained since he was 2 1/2.

My middle daughter is 6 and still wears pull-ups to bed. She is just such a sound sleeper that nothing wakes her up at night. She even has accidents when she naps sometimes because she gets so sound asleep. She wasn't potty trained until she was almost 4 and is now the only one in pull-ups in the house.

My oldest was staying dry at night since before she turned 2 (I just didn't realize it) but wore pull-ups until a week after she was potty trained, just after turning 3. Then I was sure she wouldn't wet the bed. My youngest was potty trained in November at 2 1/2 and could stay dry all night but couldn't make it up to the bathroom in time in the morning so wore pull-ups just in case. That was months ago. She will be 3 in a few weeks and hasn't worn pull-ups in over a month and had her first night time accident the other day.
Our doctor said they would grow out of it and to not worry about it (especially since none of the tricks worked with them and I think it's a bit cruel to deny them something to drink when I'm sitting there with a glass of water after dinner, etc) until they were 8 or 9. Then he would discuss looking into a medical reason for their bedwetting.
my blog ~ my Flickr
Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I heard it's pretty normal for them to not train be able to hold it all night. Fortunately all 3 of my kids had the night time down within 6 months of potty training.

If you do take off the pull-ups, make sure you get one of those plastic sheets to protect the mattress. I have them on all my kid's beds!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Camden potty trained shortly after age 2, but would sleep so heavily at night, that he would be wet every morning. We left him in pull-ups at night for another year or so and eventually he was dry in the morning; we took off the pull-ups and haven't had any trouble. I think sometimes they really are just heavy sleepers and don't wake up!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

There is nothing you can do to completely prevent nighttime accidents until your child is ready...meaning their body starts producing the hormone that reduces nighttime urine production. This is from my pediatrician. It really is dependent on each child. I say you're fine