Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to haydensmommy217
Default Need some advice on bed wetting

I need some advice or some tips on getting my 5 year old to not wet the bed. He is potty trained has been for over a year and a half, he picked that up within a month of trying but the bed wetting at night hasn't. I make sure he drinks nothing after 5 or 6 and goes to bed hopefully by 9 and he wakes up in the morning completely soaked. He does have his good days where he stays dry like out of a week period he stays dry 3-4 times.

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.
I have guested for Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Traci Reed, and Krystal Hartley.

♥♥Facebook♥♥Pinterest♥♥Gallery♥♥
Old 06-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

My 7 year old still bed wets some nights and I actually talked to the Dr. about it yesterday (it's completely normal till after 8) He said that limiting fluids does not help, nor does you getting him up at night because he's not learning to do it himself. He says to gently encourage them each night that you KNOW they can do it..don't chastise when they don't. Have him get up even after he's wet to try and go as well. Finally, if you just can't take it, they have bedwetting alarms that will get him up when he gets wet and they have pills to make him stop on special occasions (sleepovers and such)

HTH!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son is a really deep sleeper and we had this issue with him as well. The alarm thing really worked for him.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had the same issue with my step daughters.....but it lasted into their pre-teens! Craziness. Nothing would work.....drink cut off, waking them in the middle of the night to go, ect.

I took them to the family dr and he was going to prescribe a nasal spray that has steroids in it. For some reason, I wasn't comfortable with that and it didn't have a huge success rate. So.....

I then was talking to my chiropractor about it and he begged me to bring the girls in. So I did......I SWEAR TO YOU....after TWO adjustments they NEVER had this issue again. They were out of alinement and one of their vertebrae was putting pressure on a gallbladder pressure point. I wouldn't of believed it if I didn't see the results myself. They are now 19 and 17 and have not had an accident since they were 12 and 10. I would highly recommend a chiropractor. You son is not too young for their service. My son has been going since he was 1!

If all the regular stuff isn't working then you can do the chiropractor route. I would rather that than going a more extreme route with medicines.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our DS is 5 and fully potty trained as well, but I find that if we don't take him to pee when we go to bed, chances are he'll have an accident through the night. So we always try to remember to get him up around 11pm to pee and that usually works out.

Night time bed wetting is something that can't be controlled, so we don't make a big deal about it.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

oh I know its completely normal, my doctor did mention a pill that he can prescribe my son but i don't know if i want to do that with the side effects and what if he does so well on the meds then once i take them he goes back to wetting the bed, i am sure i am over thinking it, i guess i just worry to much when it comes to the bed wetting, it just his dad who i am not with has different opinion on our sons bed wetting (very long story).

Traci: I will defiantly try those bed wetting alarms.

Tara: I never knew he could see a chiropractor at this young if the bed wetting alarm doesn't help will defiantly call one.

Proudly Creating For:
Amanda Yi, Becca Bonneville, Digilicious Designs, Jady Day Studio, Lliella Designs, Meghan Mullens, and Miss Fish.

Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

where would be a good place to get the bed wetting alarms, can you get them at target or wal-mart ?

Proudly Creating For:

Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

My 5 year old still wets the bed (soaks it, actually) every single night. I can't remember him having a dry night ever.

He uses the goodnights "diapers", and he will still soak through them on occasion.

Doctor says it is completely normal. I have to admit that I HATE buying diapers for him...I feel like it is such a wast of money.

We did try several things. Monitoring his fluid intake throughout the day, and then cutting him off at night, waking him up several times to go, having him in thick underwear (so he would feel it) Nothing made a difference at all.

I hated taking him to the potty at night, cause he was like a walking zombie. (it was creepy how deep he was sleeping) I started thinking about it.....he just started sleeping through the night about 1 year ago. (had severe night terrors...waking up screaming bloody murder several times a night) I decided that I am happier now that I am sleeping through the night...and I am just going to let him keep sleeping and I will "bite the bullet" and keep on buying diapers...

He will sleep 12-13 hours at night now. I guess he just needs sleep. ('Cause he didn't get it the 1st 4 years of his life!!)
Old 06-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimeemomof2+ View Post
I have to admit that I HATE buying diapers for him...I feel like it is such a wast of money.
I totally know how you feel, they need to invent underwear that can be peed in at night but not soak the bed or clothes and be washed the next day if that makes any sense

Proudly Creating For:

Old 06-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have no advice, but I wish I did! My DD (11 in a couple months) still wets the bed. Not every night, but at least 1-3 times a week. There seems to be no pattern, no rhyme or reason. She could not drink anything from noon until 9 p.m. and wake up soaking wet. She could drink 16 ounces of water right before bed (such as softball game nights) and wake up bone dry. Bed alarms didn't work - woke me up but not her. Her doctor said it is normal and not at all unheard of for kids to go up to 12 years old before they stop. I also get her the Goodnights. Sometimes she'll go a week or 10 days and I'll think she's done, but then she'll have 4-5 nights straight of being wet. I might have to talk to her doctor about the chiropractor thing....
Old 06-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Luke was the same way at 4 & 5. We got him up to pee when we went to bed. We haven't had to do that for over a year now and he hasn't had any accidents.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

We're having the same problem with my son. A friend recommended this alarm: http://www.amazon.com/PottyMD-W103-W...sr=1-1-catcorr

We got it and it works great. Well it goes off anyway. It beeps and vibrates up by his face. My son is such a deep sleeper he still doesn't wake up, but everyone else does!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

how does the alarm know that they are peeing? probably a very easy answer, must be having a brain fart

Proudly Creating For:

Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My DH wet the bed until he was 16. My mother-in-law made special cloth diapers for him (you couldn't buy that sort of thing in the 70's). He even had a special way of hiding it in his sleeping bag at sleep overs.

My mother-in-law didn't make a big deal out of it, so I have not even tried to night train our son. My son sleeps SOOOO deeply (just like my DH) that I don't think he would even have a clue he was peeing. He sleeps in underjams at night (he's 4 1/2).
Old 06-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have a family history of late bedwetting (until age 12 or so), and my 7 year old has never had a dry night. When I cut off liquids he wakes up thirsty, so we limit but don't deny drinks in the evening. I don't make a big deal about night time dryness. He'll do it when his body is ready.

I don't know if the alarms have improved since I was a kid, but they were a huge fail in our family back then. One of the people who needed it slept through it and the other woke terrified every time it went off. It woke my parents up every time, of course. I've never tried it with my oldest because the last thing I want is something that might wake up my other kids in the middle of the night!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Both my 4 and 7 year old boys still wet the bed at night, pretty much every night. They both wear pull ups, so it hasn't really been an issue for us. Recently, though, my oldest has started requesting that I wake him up before I go to bed so he can go potty. Problem is, even when I can get him up (which is very difficult!), he is still wet in the morning. Not as wet, but still wet. I was already feeling like he may just not be ready yet, and it sounds like this is probably the case. I am very intrigued by the chiropractor thing,though... sounds like it's definitely worth giving it a try! It's amazing the things I learn in this forum! lol
Old 06-10-2011, 07:42 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

My girls wet the bed. We have history of bed wetting in our family too. I found the "potty pager" and it worked like a charm. Since then, my 8 year old daughter has started wetting the bed again - just within this past year. She'd been dry for a year and a half before that, so I don't know what is going on. I definitely want to try out the chiropractor though. She is frustrated of course, and so am I, so I'll definitely be taking her to the chiropractor as soon as we get back to the states again. Thanks for that info!
Old 06-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Same with my daughter, she'll be 11 in September. But I was a bedwetter also, into adulthood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
I have no advice, but I wish I did! My DD (11 in a couple months) still wets the bed. Not every night, but at least 1-3 times a week. There seems to be no pattern, no rhyme or reason. She could not drink anything from noon until 9 p.m. and wake up soaking wet. She could drink 16 ounces of water right before bed (such as softball game nights) and wake up bone dry. Bed alarms didn't work - woke me up but not her. Her doctor said it is normal and not at all unheard of for kids to go up to 12 years old before they stop. I also get her the Goodnights. Sometimes she'll go a week or 10 days and I'll think she's done, but then she'll have 4-5 nights straight of being wet. I might have to talk to her doctor about the chiropractor thing....
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My little Landen who will be 7 in October still wets the bed and we just decided as a family to not sweat it...My 17 year old wet the bed well into second grade...so I assume it is genetic somehow.
We put a diaper on him after he goes to the bathroom for the night and just deal...I think if I attempted to put a ton of pressure on him it would give him a complex and make it worse.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Exactly Shannon - will all the everyday stresses in my DD's life it's just not worth it to put more pressure on her. She is very matter of fact about it and just knows that she sleeps really deep and that she has a really small bladder too. It really doesn't bother her much and her closest friends who spend the night know it's not a big deal either.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

I wish I had the answers cuz my 8 year old is still wetting the bed we have tried everything. The pills didn't work, no drinks after dinner didnt work, waking him up doesnt work. Nothing he is always WET and has NEVER been dry at night. We have no issues in the day time. I am considering taking him to a urologist soon but they will probably just say its something he has to out grow.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have no additional advice - just big hugs!!! I remember being so frustrated waking up in the middle of the night having to change my daughter's sheets....sometimes twice a night!!! Good luck.....it will pass!!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

thanks for all the advice everyone you guys all rock

Proudly Creating For:

Old 06-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We bought our alarm on the internet -- I think it was called Mahlum or something like that. It senses a very small amount of moisture and has an alarm that goes off. It is supposed to train the brain to wake up when you have to pee -- so that you don't just ignore the signals when you are in a deep sleep. It worked pretty well although when my son went on medication that made him sleep really deeply, he started wetting again occasionally.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca1976 View Post
My girls wet the bed. We have history of bed wetting in our family too. I found the "potty pager" and it worked like a charm. Since then, my 8 year old daughter has started wetting the bed again - just within this past year. She'd been dry for a year and a half before that, so I don't know what is going on. I definitely want to try out the chiropractor though. She is frustrated of course, and so am I, so I'll definitely be taking her to the chiropractor as soon as we get back to the states again. Thanks for that info!
Maybe she has an undiagnosed UTI or other infection?