Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I got my permit at 15. Then I got another at 16, then again at 18, etc. LOL My grandma raised me and she just wasn't comfortable teaching me how to drive. In fact, both of her girls were late to get their licenses. My mom had to be 30 when she got hers and my aunt was probably 25. I had several friends who drove and had their own cars so I had transportation readily available. All I had to do was ask. I just didn't have a big reason to learn. My uncle took me out driving a few times and our neighbor took me a few times but they were both so different in their techniques that I was left confused. LOL I graduated at 18 and moved from Arizona to Kansas. Right off the bat all my cousins started shaking their heads in disbelief that I didn't have a license yet. See, around here its pretty rural and they live in the country so they started driving as soon as they were old enough for their feet to touch the pedals. My aunt decided I really needed to start driving so she put me behind the wheel and had me do all the driving while she ran errands. I didn't even have a permit at the time. *gasp* I quickly got one though and muddled my way through taking her places. Most places we went were pretty far out so no traffic or anything tricky. That only lasted a few months because we moved in to town. Then I stopped driving because my grandma wasn't comfortable with me driving her around. No big deal, I didn't care. I found rides pretty easily or walked/rode a bike. When I was 20, DH and I moved in together. He tried to teach me to drive the Sprint he had that had a manual transmission. Didn't work. I remember sitting through three red lights because I couldn't get the darn thing to move. LOL A month before we got married DH bought me an automatic. I started driving it and drove it a few months before I went to get my license. I was 24 when I finally got it. They looked at me like I had 3 heads when I tried to explain that I was applying for a new license. They kept asking what state I previously had one in, etc. I mean, seriously, its not THAT uncommon for someone that age to just be getting a license! At least not other places, maybe it is around here. LOL
Old 06-09-2012, 06:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Permit at 15 - license at 16! I have so many friends who won't let their kids learn to drive. It's crazy. I'm counting down the days...okay years...until Elyse can drive!! I'd give anything for her to be able to "run to the store" and grab me something! LOL!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I got my permit at 15 and got my license on my 16th birthday. My mom pulled me out of study hall to go get it!!! She couldn't wait for me to be able to drive myself to school or practice!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I got my permit at 16. For my 16th birthday, my Dad took me job hunting and for my permit. I got both that day. My Dad was very serious about us all having part time jobs when we turned 16. He took me to work until I got my license and my first car. He signed for the car, but I had to make the payments myself.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I got my permit the day I turned 16 and my license exactly 6 months later. I got them exactly on the days I was legal to in Massachusetts.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I took driver's ed in school. Our instructor was awful. We spent more time on the simulators than in actual cars. he never taught us to parallel park, and i still can't do it. never drove a stick either. Anyway, when we passed drivers ed we got a little piece of blue paper, and i took that to the dmv on my 16th birthday and got my license.

I think now you have to be 17 or something.. not sure.. the thought of my kids driving terrifies me.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was 19 when I got my license but I hate to drive!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Learners permit at 15 and my driver's license at 16, although it wasn't immediately after I turned 16, it was more like 9 months later.