Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish
Default NSBR: Leapster vs. Leapster2

So does anyone have either of these for their child? I am thinking of getting one for L.J. for Christmas (we spend a lot of time driving from where we live and I think it would be good to entertain him). He'll be 3-1/2 by Christmas so I think he could figure it out easily enough.

I'm just not sure what the difference is really between the 1st and 2nd versions. The 2nd appears to have less buttons.

I'm really leaning toward the 1st one because Walmart has it on sale for $44.97 vs. the $69.99 for the Leapster2, but should I want the newer version?

So anyone care to share Leapster experiences?

Old 10-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well it looks like Leapster 2 has features to connect to a computer and do more stuff. But if you don't need/want that I'd think a Leapster would be fine.

My kids are low-tech in the car; they just play with their magna doodles. They have Leapsters too but don't seem as interested in playing with them in the car.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We got a Leapster for Kristen almost 2 years ago and she still plays with it. The new games that are coming out for the new Leapster work in the old one, so I'm happy with it and won't be upgrading any time soon. I'd go with the cheaper one if you don't want to attach it to the computer or TV.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm about to buy a Leapster 2 for DS's birthday. While the games (old and new) will work on both systems, some of the newer games will have additional features that can only be used on the newer system. Since I don't know exactly what those features are and how much difference it will make to DS, I decided to go with the newer system. Basically, once I'm investing this much in the system, charger, case, and games, I'd rather spend a little more and get the system that will do the most and hopefully be used the longest.

Personally I don't care about the computer hookup, but that is one of the features of the Leapster 2. By connecting to the computer you can see what your child is working on and what they need more help with and can also download more games. Another older version, the L-Max connected to the tv, but that seems to have been phased out. I wish the newer one did that.

Last edited by rach3975; 10-05-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

my girls have both LOVED their Leapsters. They still play with them and take them to their brothers soccer games.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Thanks everyone...I guess I just need to decide if I want it to hook up to the computer or not.

Old 10-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've also been looking at the Leapster or Leapster2 for our girls (almost 7 and 4.5) for Christmas also. So far I'm leaning towards the Leapster because a) it's $20 cheaper and I'll be buying 2 and b) it has the stylus and it will also will play both old & new games. Also I noticed the age range on the Leapster is 4-10 but the Leapster2 is only 4-8.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
Also I noticed the age range on the Leapster is 4-10 but the Leapster2 is only 4-8.
They have a new product out (Digi or Diji something) that's supposed to be for the 6-10 age range. I suspect they plan to gear newer Leapster software for the younger age range.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have the Leapster 2 and both the kids enjoy it (7 and 4). MIL also got us a Pixter and they like that one a lot also!
Old 10-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I have 3 1/2 year olds - do you think they'd like the Leapster? I've kind of avoided buying them, thinking they were too young for them. But, I'm trying to decide on my Christmas lists for them and was wondering if you ladies think they'd be too young for a Leapster?

Old 10-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We got DS1 a Leapster for Xmas when he was 3. He loved it! He's been playing with it off and on ever since and then DS2 started playing with the Learn to Draw program so they both used it. It developed a dead spot on the screen though about 2 months ago. After about 2.5 years of regular use. DS1 is getting a Leapster 2 for his birthday tomorrow. I like the computer aspect of it. I can see how he is progressing, he can turn in his points for rewards & even download a couple games & he can print out the artwork he creates (you need a 256mb or lower SD card for it - very challenging to find - but it doesn't seem to work with the higher memory cards).

I was really annoyed to see they have the new Diji line for 6-10 year olds. They are competing with the PSP & other hand helds market. DS1 will be 6 tomorrow but is in kindergarten & is not ready for the Diji games but in a year or so will probably outpace the Leapster games. The original Leapster was for up to 10 year olds. But DS2 will get another year or so out of it so it isn't too bad. Just irritating.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Okay, I think I'm putting this on Abby's Christmas list.......... Thanks girls.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we have a L-Max which is supposed to connect to the TV. But DS cut the cord so it won't.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just bought 2 Leapster 2s today for my twin boys for xmas; they are 4. I got them each a case and also got the charging station with the a/c adapter to help cut costs on battieries. I cashed in rewards from my credit card for a gift cert from amazon.com to pay for them. Leapsters are expensive and without the rewards from my credit card I wouldn't even have bought them.

I do think if you are buying a Leapster today you would want the newest technology so I would suggest you go with the Leapster 2.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

hannah has been begging for "little computer games" so maybe we'll look at this, too!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I think I might look at adding this to our Christmas lists ... sounds like the twins might like them

Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to put my 2 cents in here....I bought a Leapster for my twins in 06 and the darn thing broke and we cannot get it to work at all.......We tried to get a new one but the stupid company would NOT exchange it for a new one and Walmart would not take it back either cause it was like 5 months later. I am not saying that it will happen to you but I had to let you know!!! I read that other people had the same problems but the reviews I read on Amazon had more that were "HAPPY" than not so I bit the bullet and got it anyway!!! They don't even want it anymore cause they have other things to keep them occupied in the car but it still makes me really

Proudly creating for:
LCC by Amy Stoffel, Cori Gammon, DIGI SCRAP ADDICTS Site CT,
Faith True, Geek Chic Scraps, Jac Bernardo, Laura Banasiak, Litabells Designs, Kelley Mickus, Micheline Martin Designs, Nikki Epperson,
Penny Springmann, SCRAP ORCHARD Site CT, THE DAILY SCRAPPER Site CT