Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-09-2020, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTW 09/09

I stopped my weekly questions b/c I thought people were getting bored with them but I miss them, do you? Maybe I should start it up again. I always love to find out little bits about everyone, makes our community here a little closer, right? So, if you agree...comment below and here's your question for the week.

What does September mean to you and how does your schedule change?
Old 09-09-2020, 11:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For me, September means fall is coming, the evenings start to get cooler and the leaves are starting to turn color and get crispy when you walk across them. Our fall colors aren't as good here in BC as they are in Ontario (where I grew up) but I still love autumn around here. I get out my camera and take lots of outdoor closeups and wander the parks and trails, looking for interesting compositions to photograph.

I love to wear sweaters and will start sorting thru them, getting them ready to swap out with the summer stuff in my dressers.

Food-wise, I love casseroles, soups, one pan dinners and even though I could make those throughout the summer too, I usually don't, I BBQ more. I wait until fall and then start getting the crockpot out. I've been looking for some veggie soups to make.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

BTW, here is one of the soups I recently found that I am going to try out soon.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/153615037279498099/
Old 09-09-2020, 02:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I like your questions but I didn't read them everytime I admit.
It is fun to read about everyone but I won't always have the time.

September usually meant back to school... haha
how different it feels this year... it just feels like another month. I have my oldest starting virtual Kindergarten. My middle isn't going to preschool and my baby can't spend too long without needing her mama close by so it will be tough.

But I can't wait for cooler days and we can actually enjoy being outside more.
Old 09-09-2020, 02:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

September is usually full swing with school, band, and cross country. It is scaled back this year, but they are finding a way to give the kids a little something. My senior turns 18 today, so this was to be the last year of constant chaos for me. I'll miss it, but I'm okay with the slower pace. I'm not sure what next September will mean to me.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love the questions!! Thanks for posting them!

September means anniversary month! 16 years this year since I married my boo... 18 years since our first date. Also September is school stuff - can't say back to school as we homeschool year round, but it's usually when homeschool community day, viola lessons, symphony rehearsals, church confirmation classes, etc start up.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I love your questions, and I like being a part of this community. : )

September means nothing to me. The weather doesn't change here in the Philippines, and even when we're in the States, it's still basically summer in September in Arkansas. School starts in August for us in both places, so September is just a long, hot month of drudgery for me.

Thanks for sharing that recipe, Rae! Dr. Gregor (How Not To Die book) highly recommends lentils, so I'm trying to incorporate more into my diet. This recipe looks delicious!
Old 09-09-2020, 10:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am new to the questions and enjoy getting to you and others here at SS! <3
September to me usually is back to school as well (although we started 2 weeks ago)...it is also when I decorate for fall despite temps still in 90s. It is also my oldest's bday month. He is turning 16 this year. I can't believe my baby will be 16!
Old 09-09-2020, 10:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I like the weekly questions! Sometimes I get busy and don't answer, but I like learning more about everyone here.

Normally my kids go back to school the last week of August and I go back to work (as a preschool teacher) the day after Labor Day. So usually September is all about back to school here. The beginning of the year is my busiest time at work and the end of the Federal Government's fiscal year (which ends Sept 30th in the US) is DH's busiest time of the year, so September is a crazy busy month for our family.

This year...things are weird. My school isn't opening due to Covid. All 3 of the kids are doing virtual school and started yesterday. And DH is leaving his current job on Friday and taking 2 weeks off before starting his new one. About the only routine that hasn't been disrupted is how hard it is to get the kids out of bed in the morning when school starts!

Normally I look forward to fall weather, but this year I'm kind of dreading it. It's not really fall I'm dreading, just the winter weather that will come way too soon afterward. I'm not looking forward to being even more limited in our activities than we have been the last few months.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’m in Texas so it will still be hotter than heck in September! Might get lucky and have a cool front at some point, Lol. But I will still pull out all my fall decor and decorate the house. I look forward to doing that this weekend!
Old 09-09-2020, 11:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
BTW, here is one of the soups I recently found that I am going to try out soon.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/153615037279498099/
This looks good...you will have to tell us how it is...being in TX we cook a lot of Tex/mex or Mexican food. My fam might like this one...
Old 09-09-2020, 11:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrijc View Post
I’m in Texas so it will still be hotter than heck in September! Might get lucky and have a cool front at some point, Lol. But I will still pull out all my fall decor and decorate the house. I look forward to doing that this weekend!
Not sure where you are but a cold front coming in tonight here in southern TX...brr! LOL 65, High tomorrow only 77....my kids are yelling its Christmas time mom...youngest is asking if it is going to snow....LOL

highs only in the 80s all next week...Fall is here!
Old 09-10-2020, 12:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
Not sure where you are but a cold front coming in tonight here in southern TX...brr! LOL 65, High tomorrow only 77....my kids are yelling its Christmas time mom...youngest is asking if it is going to snow....LOL

highs only in the 80s all next week...Fall is here!
I’m about halfway between Houston and Galveston. We got excited about a cool front last week but it never came 😂
Old 09-10-2020, 12:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Glad to see QOTW resurrected!

Even though weather-wise it's always still summertime in September in my area, it always feels like the start of fall with school starting. Other than than that, there is never anything particularly remarkable about September (for me)
Old 09-10-2020, 02:18 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

September usually means back to normal/back to getting a little me time with school starting. Like everyone else this year... not so much. LOL

Old 09-10-2020, 04:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

September is just another month to me

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 09-10-2020, 04:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekiwi View Post
September is just another month to me
Haha! Me too. It's the start of spring, so there's that, but otherwise it's just another month here Our school year goes from February to December, so it's not even the start, middle or end of the year yet. There will be a couple of weeks of school holidays, but with Covid it's all been like school holidays
Old 09-10-2020, 09:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Glad to see QOTD back - thank you Rae!!

September normally is nothing different for me - other than leaves turning colors which means more road trips and photos ops.

This year, however; September holds in store some big changes for me. After my job was eliminated in July (and I was marched to the door ...), I start a new position with a different company this coming Monday. I've enjoyed 2 months off, but now it's back to reality. In addition, the grandkiddos are being homeschooled, so I'll be jumping in and helping them.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:18 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

September means back to a set routine for me since I still have a kid in school. I also enjoy the potential for cooler weather and start thinking about soup & casseroles as a dinner option again instead of just BBQing.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Even though school starts in August & even though I'm not teaching this year, September always feels like a "new year" to me. I adjust the schedule after a more flexible summer (especially this summer, with no activities etc. on the schedule) and refresh my routines at home.

I'm excited to see September in Alaska-- I feel like the mountains are already changing color! I love the cooler nights (started in August here ) and breezy days! Usually September has me sewing Halloween costumes, but we're still waiting on our household goods shipment from overseas, so this September, I might just do a lot more knitting! I have 2 sweaters' worth of yarn on the way!
Old 09-11-2020, 07:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

September means my birthday & my son's birthday. It means the start to lovely weather and changing colors and bonfires and hoodies. School starting. It's my favorite.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

September means a few things for our house...school starting, fall weather, hunting season; more casseroles, soups and crock pot dinners, jeans and hoodies. It also is the start of all the "good things".. pumpkins, fall leaves, warm drinks, snuggly blankets; it's like a pre-holiday kick off party!

However this year it's looking a bit 2020... school (virtually) starting, but now delayed due to wildfires, fall weather has turned into a heat wave that sparked fires and for the past week have had them burning over 100,000 *each fire* it essentially every direction, so air quality is in the 300-500 range (hazardous); hunting seasons are on hold as the forests have all been closed to prevent more fires.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

September usually means going back to school, starting back up with small group and CampFire, doing fall soccer, apple-picking, and picking out Halloween costumes.

This year September has meant more virtual learning, no small group or extra-currics or sports, outdoor church gatherings at our minor-league baseball field, wondering if Halloween & its related events will be cancelled this year, and me starting a new full-time remote job. I'm fairly confident we'll still be able to go apple-picking so at least there's that.