Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-20-2023, 01:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default I'm still hot, it just comes in flashes now.

Pretty sure we have all heard that joke about life for women of a certain age. Apparently, my age. Unfortunately while the line is funny, Menopause is no joke and I think it is kicking my butt. I have mood swings and the hot flashes, but something else I have that I can not find any informaton on to see if it is really a symptom, is the chills.

All night long I go from hot flash to the chills so bad that my teeth chatter. For the longest time now, I have thought that I was sick, so I have taken a number of Covid tests, all negative. Then I thought just a cold, it will pass, but it has been weeks and weeks and I am still malingering. Frankly, I am over it already.

Because of the back and forth all night long, I am not sleeping much, and since I only do about four hours of sleep a day in the good times, interpert that as not sleeing. That could also explain the mood swings, I guess.

So I need to know, are chills normal after a hot flash? Has anyone else had something similar? If so, what did you do? I only really need about four hours of sleep a day, but I NEED those hours.

Thanks in advance for any and all information.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 02-20-2023 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

A quick google showed me this:

Up to 85 percent of women in menopause report having hot flashes, which are sudden and brief periods of intense heat rising in your face and chest, but cold flashes may also occur.

That’s because the fluctuating hormones during menopause and perimenopause can cause a dysfunction in the hypothalamus. The hypothalamus is the part of the brain that regulates body temperature.

A dysfunction of the hypothalamus can cause your body to temporarily become over heated (hot flash) or chilled (cold flash). Sometimes, chills and shivering may occur as a hot flash fades, causing you to feel hot and cold.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:00 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thank Jacinda, I guess I didn't look enough or use the right phrase, cold flashes. Well now I know that it is possible, I guess.

I have trouble with being cold all the time due to my thyroid condition, so I guess it makes sense I would have hot and cold flashes. Yay.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was going to suggest it may be your thyroid. I I I was having similar symptoms when my thyroid levels were extremely high. I would wake up soaked and sweaty sometimes, and other times be so cold. Now I know I have Graves disease. So, I cant wait to see what is in store for me for menopause...
Old 02-20-2023, 03:34 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

About 15 to 20 years ago (I'm 67), I started being less able to tolerate cold of any kind. I was also cold at all times. I had a portable heater under my desk that didn't always help because I was just 20 to 25 feet from the front door to the building. Mine isn't really cold flashes, just that I'm cold all of the time.

Last summer I might have found out why. I started on a medication in 2008 and last summer when doing some research on something else, I stumbled across the fact that being cold is a side effect of this medication, rare but still possible. Timeline wise this fits into when I started to really feel the cold in my life.

It is more than likely menopause for you but if you are on any medications, check the side effects even the rare ones to see if something is there.
Old 02-20-2023, 05:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yikes, that doesn't sound good at all. I hope you are able to find some kind of relief so that you aren't teeth-chattering cold and able to sleep!!
Old 02-20-2023, 09:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sorry you're going through this.
My doctor told me that most women don't experience symptoms/side effects during menopause. I couldn't help but think, "Really? So it's just everyone that I know."
Old 02-21-2023, 12:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
I have trouble with being cold all the time due to my thyroid condition, so I guess it makes sense I would have hot and cold flashes. Yay.
Uh, oh--I bet I'll have that to look forward to, too. Yay. I hope you're able to find something that helps so you can get your sleep!
Old 02-21-2023, 07:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have the hot flashes, but not the cold ones nor night sweats.
Brain fog is almost always with me now though.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

ME! I have cold flashes too! Not as often as the hot flashes, which are miserable enough, but I have had them in the past, to the extent where I am checking for fever with a thermometer. Menopause is THE PITS.

Lynn--I often have low-level rage about how the medical community treats menopausal women. Like, they don't care. "Oh, well, sorry honey, you've outlived your beauty, youth and fertility, so suck it up, buttercup." I was complaining to my cousin, who is ten years older than I and whose husband is a doctor. She said that he told her that nobody has really done any studies on this. THEY DON'T CARE. It makes crazy.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:02 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I get ragey when women's health is dismissed in general, but we've really been left in the dark about peri/menopause. It may be inevitable for us, but it's a seriously difficult time for many/most women.

There are days when the mood swings and the hot/cold flashes make everyday life a mine field for me. I refuse to shrivel up and die like society tries to make 50+ year old women feel they should do. Girl, my ovaries are shriveling up, but I'm not.

I usually get night sweats and then cold chills afterwards. I have to sleep with a fan because of the sweats and then once it passes I lay there drenched in sweat and freeze until I wake up for the 100th time during the night to pee. Don't even get me started on the headaches, brain fog, and I've forgotten what a good night sleep actually feels like.

I do like resources like https://heyperry.com/ They're on Insta and they have a great app/community with lots of resources about all sorts of symptoms no one talks about (ear itchiness, tinnitus, etc) that impact women at this stage in life. It's really enlightening and educational.

I hope you're able to find some relief, Lorie!
Old 02-21-2023, 03:19 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

50 here and I hear you about sleep. One thing that has been a huge help for me with sleep is Kefir. I drink 1/2 cup of kefir at night before I go to bed and I fall asleep and stay asleep so much better. You can buy it near the yogurt section of the store. I make mine at home and its super easy and better for you but I'd would give store bought a try and see if that works for you.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, that all sounds awful and I am not looking forward to it.

Also, a doctor who said there are no symptoms or side effects to menopause is one I would quickly drop as a doctor and make a complaint about.
Old 02-21-2023, 04:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Ugh, that all sounds awful and I am not looking forward to it.

Also, a doctor who said there are no symptoms or side effects to menopause is one I would quickly drop as a doctor and make a complaint about.
OMG, could I have heard him wrong? Maybe he said most women do (like 80%). I'm not sure now as that was a few years ago. It could be the brain fog of menopause.
Old 02-21-2023, 08:45 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Reading this, I feel like saying, "Ughhhh!! As if a whole-lifelong Aunt Flo thingy is not enough?! We'll have to go through hell because of menopause too?"

Which part of life should I look forward to for being a woman?
Old 03-08-2023, 09:47 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Sorry I missed responding to this until now. Going with brain fog. Truthfully though, my attention span gets shorter as I get older too.

I was telling my sister about the hot followed by cold flashes and she said she gets them too. I gave her heck for not telling me about them. She is older, she should warm me of potential crap to come.

I don't think I should get started on how I feel about the treatment of older women because it pisses me off so much. The older I get, the less respect I get, especially from some men. Before they thought my brain stopped at my boobs and now they think I don't have one. I am an expert in my field and the other day a younger man, who knows nothing about it, tried to tell me I was wrong about something.

I guess this is where the mood swings come in because I was so angry I could spit. I kept it together and called him out on how disrespectful he was being not only by questioning my knowledge, but by telling me what's what when I am the expert not him. He continued to try to assert himself until our CEO, yes our CEO, told him to let the expert, me, do the job I have been doing successfully for years. If another man had not stepped in, he would probably still be trying to tell me how to do my job.

Last edited by LJSDesigns; 03-09-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-09-2023, 08:07 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I guess this is where the mood swings come in because I was so angry I could spit. I kept it together and called him out on how disrespectful he was being not only by questioning my knowledge, but by telling me what's what when I am the expert not him. He continued to try to asset himself until our CEO, yes our CEO, told him to let the expert, me, do the job I have been doing successfully for years. If another man had not stepped in, he would probably still be trying to tell me how to do my job.
Ugh! So sorry that you had to experience such thing, Lorie.
Men! Don't get me started on them... Some of them (or most of them?) think so highly of themselves.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:11 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
Ugh! So sorry that you had to experience such thing, Lorie.
Men! Don't get me started on them... Some of them (or most of them?) think so highly of themselves.
They do. It is one of the reasons I don't have any desire to date. In past relationships, I always gave more than I got in return and don't want to go down that path again.

I know there are good men out there who treat their partners well, but if there is one stinker in a batch of 99 good ones, I would end up with the stinker. LOL
Old 03-09-2023, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have hypothyroidism and was always cold before menopause. Then after the hot/cold flashes passed I leveled out and now I'm almost never too cold or too hot. So I came out the other end of it even before than before. I used to always have cold hands and feet and don't have that anymore.

Dressing in layers is your best bet, as you fluctuate between body temps.
Old 03-09-2023, 01:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am sorry you're suffering Lorie! I can attest that menopause sucks! I had a complete hysterectomy over 25 years ago (opted not to take hormone thearpy) and suffered with menopausal issues ... especially hot then cold. I ended up buying Amberen (OTC) and used it for a few months and that really did regulate things better, plus is helped my mental state as well.
Once again, I'm dealing with hot and cold issues, but recently found out I have a cancerous nodule on my thyroid. I imagine I will have the entire thyroid removed soon, so that will probably lead to a whole plethora of other issues! LOL!
Old 03-09-2023, 07:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
I am sorry you're suffering Lorie! I can attest that menopause sucks! I had a complete hysterectomy over 25 years ago (opted not to take hormone thearpy) and suffered with menopausal issues ... especially hot then cold. I ended up buying Amberen (OTC) and used it for a few months and that really did regulate things better, plus is helped my mental state as well.
Once again, I'm dealing with hot and cold issues, but recently found out I have a cancerous nodule on my thyroid. I imagine I will have the entire thyroid removed soon, so that will probably lead to a whole plethora of other issues! LOL!
Oh no, Jill. My daughter had to have her's removed and she's been fine with medication ever since. I hope surgery and medication has you on the road to recovery soon.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Hope they get you feeling better soon!
Old 03-10-2023, 01:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear that Jill, but thyroid cancer has a high cure rate, so hopefully there won't be too many issues for you. I am sure you know that I have had thyroid cancer, so if you have any questions that I might be able to help with, let me know. I learned a lot on my journey that I would be happy to share with you.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear that Jill, but thyroid cancer has a high cure rate, so hopefully there won't be too many issues for you. I am sure you know that I have had thyroid cancer, so if you have any questions that I might be able to help with, let me know. I learned a lot on my journey that I would be happy to share with you.
Lorie, I didn't realize (or remember) that you had thyroid cancer, so I will more than likely pop a message to you from time to time!! I'm not overly stressed because it has such a high recovery rate ... for some reason having it removed takes the fear out of that "C" word in my mind!