Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
Almost 8 years for me as well.

And what on earth happened 9-8 years ago that made such a boom for digital scrapbooking??
I think that's when it started getting attention from the scrapbooking world. I know I found out about digi from a special digital issue of Simple Scrapbooks being sold with the regular magazines. I had no idea such a thing existed!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

It's about the time quality stores opened up too (hello ssd haha) For the first few years there weren't stores in the same way there are now. Some designers started up selling their kits on cds that were shipped to customers instead of downloads.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
And what on earth happened 9-8 years ago that made such a boom for digital scrapbooking??
I was a big paper scrapper. I knew someone who was a TLC consultant and it was about that time they came out with their LifeTimez software. For me it was great because I was trying to make multiple copies of the same page by hand (for grandma's book, kids' books, etc. ) Being able to make a page one time and then just print multiple copies helped me to switch over to digital and I pretty much have been digital ever since.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I think that's when it started getting attention from the scrapbooking world. I know I found out about digi from a special digital issue of Simple Scrapbooks being sold with the regular magazines. I had no idea such a thing existed!
yep! that's how I learned about it too.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:59 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I started in 2011 as well, but already my scrapping has changed so much since the beginning!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I was never much of a paper scrapper, I do have scrapbooks where I used the funky shaped scissors and stickers. I have a huge one from my school years and then 6 other ones I think. But they take up more space than my digital ones.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have scrapped forever, but made the switch to digi in December of 2004. The first kit I used was Celebrate by Gina Cabrera and it was offered as a freebie. We were moving. Scrap supplies were in one house, we were in the other. I had just taken Christmas pictures of my daughter and I wanted to do something creative with them. A friend told me about the digital download and showed me a page she did. I downloaded it on a whim and messed around enough to put a page together. I swore I would never completely switch to digi though... or 'computer generated' as it was called at that point. LOL I so lied. It wasn't but a few months until I was totally digital. Sad thing is, I still have all my paper supplies. I'll NEVER use that stuff. I really need to purge.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
It's about the time quality stores opened up too (hello ssd haha) For the first few years there weren't stores in the same way there are now. Some designers started up selling their kits on cds that were shipped to customers instead of downloads.
DST first opened somewhere in that time frame too. Having a digital scrapbook 'hub' made a huge difference. Before then there weren't too many places to just get information and find out where to get products. I remember how there was controversy over at 2Peas because *gasp* people were talking about 'computer generated' scrapbooking on a 'regular' scrapbooking site. LOL I remember how layouts used to be marked 'computer generated' and everything if they weren't done with paper supplies.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

since 2005 ish

Old 02-07-2015, 08:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
Sad thing is, I still have all my paper supplies. I'll NEVER use that stuff. I really need to purge.
I gave a lot of mine to a school. They were thrilled. They can use a lot of it for art projects, to decorate bulletin boards, etc. Finding a good place to give it to made it easier for me to part with it.

I did keep things like my paper cutter because that is a tool I use for other things, plus I have done a paper album when I bought NFL albums for my Dad and nephews.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:59 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I started November 2008, when I saw a blogger friend's page. I asked her and I researched on my own... I was never a paper scrapper, but I really love finding digi-scrapping, because I enjoyed playing in Photoshop before that.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started paper scrapping in 2000. I switched to digital over Labor Day weekend 2004. So 10.5 years right now. I was on Gina Cabrera's first time... my first team ever and have CDs of kits. Back then internet speeds also weren't what they are now. KCB and Kellie were some of my first familiar names from the galleries back then.

I never printed anything until I started doing Project Life, however. Project Life is what is getting albums on shelves for me.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap2day View Post
I gave a lot of mine to a school. They were thrilled. They can use a lot of it for art projects, to decorate bulletin boards, etc. Finding a good place to give it to made it easier for me to part with it.

I did keep things like my paper cutter because that is a tool I use for other things, plus I have done a paper album when I bought NFL albums for my Dad and nephews.
Over the years I have used some things... mostly paper for the kids to make Valentine's and such. I have been meaning to purge but this stuff is in tubs buried beside my tornado shelter so it is a bit difficult to get to. None the less, I plan to tackle that soon. Anyway, I have considered taking all of my stuff to work and letting my co-workers fight over it. I work at a school and I know some things would be used. However, there are a lot of things I can't see being used at school. That's the stuff I'm not really sure what to do with. My unmounted rubber stamps, for example. I just don't know. None the less, it has to go! I've found when I want to do a hybrid project I print digi paper for it instead of hunting down what I know I have.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Started Paper Scrapping in 1997 with Creative Memories. Quit paper scrapping in or around 2006 when all the drama surrounding Creating Keepsakes Hall of Fame and design team controversy started. Got rid of all my paper supplies and vowed that I was done with all the backstabbing and whatnot.

December of 2012 my DH bought me a digi program for scrapping for Christmas because we had been foster parents for four years at this point and I was having trouble keeping up with the foster kids' books I had to make. He figured that digi would be easier for me.

I started scrapping digi in January 0f 2013. I used that program for a few months and then discovered sites and forums online. I ditched the program and self taught myself photoshop through tutorials online and youtube and the rest is history!

I thought I was obsessed when I paper scrapped, but I am even moreso with Digital. Love how little space it takes but we can still have all the goodness!!
Old 02-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Coming up on 7 years here.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:25 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I started paper scrapping when I became a grandma--almost 22 years ago!!
I don't really remember when I switched to digi. For a year or so I dabbled in both, but that didn't work!! It was really hard for me to give up paper scrapping because "I have so many supplies" but I did.

I think I did the switch about 8 years ago. Maybe 7. I'll have to go back and try and figure it out!!
I gave a TON of paper stuff to our church's children's department, more to a friend that still paper scraps, some to the next door teen that loved it, and another ton to a group home for handicapped ladies. I still have WAY more than I'll ever use--a whole room full in fact!! My scrapbook room, though, has become a music room, and electronics room, a guest room, and a stash room (where anything in the house that doesn't have a place, it gets stashed there!!)

Last edited by Deannaj; 02-07-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:02 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap2day View Post

I was lucky there were still a few paper scrapbook stores locally when I was ready to commit to digi and give away my stuff. One of the stores had an annual "yard sale." You could bring in anything you wanted to sell, THEY would take care of the selling for you, and you earned store credit. So I got rid of most of my stuff (kept a few useful tools and paper for my kids) and with my store credit I go three albums with sleeves for my printed digital pages!

Soon after that, however, one by one, each of those local scrapbooking stores closed. Even though I don't paper scrap anymore, I think that's sad.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I started in late 2009 but took about a 2-year hiatus from the end of 2012 til late last year, following my divorce and just generally being out of it. Started back recently doing PL, and although I'm having to re-learn some things, in many ways, it feels like I never left. So happy to be back doing what I love!
Old 02-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

started in 2008, minus a 2½ year break from mid-2011 til the end of 2013. because stress and divorce and a dead ehd. i'm sure i'll never get back to doing hundreds of pages a year like i was, but i'm okay with that and i'm pretty sure my kid is, too. he'll still have plenty of books to look through and that's the main goal for me.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I started in 2008..or was it 2007? I don't even remember. But almost 8 years!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aah, my registration date here says Jan 2008, which means I started in late 2007. Yup, almost 8 years old.