Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2016, 09:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Using your stash...

Just curious - do many of you use scrapping supplies like photo masks, edges/shape templates, borders, overlays, stamps, brushes, etc when doing a page, or do you stick mostly with what's in a kit?

I have tons of that stuff, and I'm sitting down here ready to do a page thinking it might be good to use a mask or something... but I just can't find stuff on my computer. This is after I've sorted my stuff, usually as I buy it, into my 'go to supplies' folders which are labelled according to what the product is.

I think I have too much in my stash that it becomes overwhelming to go searching through it, and this is probably why 90% of the time I'm a single kit scrapper. I need a better memory, or a better filing system!
Old 03-03-2016, 09:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tend to love the pages I spend a little extra time embellishing with those "finishing touch" kind of products, but I have a similar problem as you where, even though they are in a separate folder labeled "basic essentials" - I still only reach for a few of the items in that overstuffed folder. I am trying extra hard to make it a point to use the extras like that on my pages, even if it takes me a little longer. So I'm not getting as many pages done all the time as I used to, but I'm much more satisfied with the ones I do get done.

I have just accepted that I'll never have a filing system that works for me, I'm way too scatterbrained for that.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 03-03-2016, 09:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree - on the occasion I do look for extra stuff, I like my pages better. Also if I use things from several different kits.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I am that kind of person too, Kim! I have so many in my stash, but, when I sit down to scrap, I forgot my stash and just scrap with the kit or the template I am planning to use...
Old 03-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I am still developing my "style" so I also normally just one the "kit". I do wish I had a better storage system or maybe I should have a strong willpower to resist buying more goodies.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I find myself searching through my stash most often when doing Bingo challenge pages. Otherwise I tend to stick with 1 kit because everything already coordinates. I've gotten a little lazy, lol!
Old 03-03-2016, 10:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

A big portion of my pages are CT layouts so I stick with what's in the kit but I too will venture out for a bingo challenge or something similar.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:55 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I do seek them out in my stash if the kit(s) I want to use don't have the elements or extras I need. I love to mix and match from my stash but don't mix for every layout....otherwise I'd be there forever!

Creative for Grace Lee & Scrapping with Liz
Guesting for LJS Designs in Nov-Dec 2020
Old 03-03-2016, 11:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do mix kits some, unless it's a CT layout. Sometimes I'm just so excited by a new kit though that I simply use it. Often after I've used it "as is" I venture out to mixing things up a bit!
Old 03-04-2016, 12:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually am a one kit scrapper as well. There are a few times that I have gone to other kits to get what I'm looking for and do enjoy those pages. The challenges that have made us use more than one kit has been some of my favorite layouts. Looking forward to the bingo challenge of using 3 kits.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Old 03-04-2016, 12:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tend to stick with 1 or 2 kits but if I need a certain product I do a search in bridge.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:26 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I tend to start with a template and a single kit, then go shopping in my folders if I am wanting extra bits and pieces. I don't tag or anything so I stick to just using search in windows explorer so this is a bit hit and miss. I also have some older products in a misc bits and pieces folder for things like masks and stitches, but I tend to gravitate to the same ones.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The key to success with mixing is good organisation... I used to mix and match more, these days I usually do one-kit layouts, but I almost always use masks, edges, alphas outside the kit.

I also have kits with similar colour schemes tagged, which makes mixing much easier.

Like this:

Last edited by adrianka; 03-04-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is cool to tag and catalog your stash.
I, however, don't organize my stash this way. I think I have a secret talent of remembering everything on my computer lol (probably should have scrapped about it last month for the bingo prompt). I also remember the names of the products and the colors -- it's crazy!
Anyway, as to the extra stuff - I find myself using those rarely. I don't have much but even those I do have, I use on rare occasion. But I like to know I have a few things I could use if I need it
--
Mama to Albert
Old 03-04-2016, 10:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

i wish i was better at this but almost always use one kit only.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have too many kits to even try to tag them.
But I do have a "tool" folder with frames, masks, wordarts, photo clusters, "beauty marks" (pre-made clusters), splatters, scatters, fasteners, etc.
So I usually stick to one or two kits plus some of that stash for something extra.
But I do keep those folders just with my go to elements.

Made using Selfie Addict by Digilicious Designs
Old 03-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am terrible at thinking to use all the extra pieces and alphas I've purchased. Mixing Kits is not really my thing (I just find it too time consuming) so I am a hardcore 'kit scrapper'. I do remember to use my page borders sometimes (but I'm addicted to them so if a kit doesn't have one I'll go looking through my stash). I like to think I have my stash pretty well organized, but can't help but think maybe I need a different system so I use everything more.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow...Adrianka...you're so organized! I'm impressed!
Old 03-04-2016, 02:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post
I find myself searching through my stash most often when doing Bingo challenge pages. Otherwise I tend to stick with 1 kit because everything already coordinates. I've gotten a little lazy, lol!
Pretty much me. I'm too lazy to go searching. LOL

Old 03-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tend to use one kit at a time because I just don't have time to be mixing and matching things up.

However, I do have a "Scrapbooking Essentials" folder that I open up when I'm doing layouts that are not for a CT. This folder has things like clipping masks (banners, shapes, scalloped edges, etc.), paint washes, hardware (staples, brads, clips, etc.), and things like Cindy's date tag templates, photo stamps, layered cards and such. I do try to use some of these things when I scrap my non-CT layouts because they add a little extra, but I don't always due to laziness.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
Wow...Adrianka...you're so organized! I'm impressed!
Thanks! I wouldn't find lots of stuff otherwise, and it would be a pity, because pretty kits need to be used and re-used. :-)

Old 03-04-2016, 03:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
The key to success with mixing is good organisation... I used to mix and match more, these days I usually do one-kit layouts, but I almost always use masks, edges, alphas outside the kit.

I also have kits with similar colour schemes tagged, which makes mixing much easier.
That's awesome Adrianka! I want to do this now!!! But it would take me FOREVER to go back and tag everything in my stash!!
Old 03-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
That's awesome Adrianka! I want to do this now!!! But it would take me FOREVER to go back and tag everything in my stash!!
Believe me, it wouldn't. The thing that takes longest to come up with is a system that suits you. I tagged most of my HUGE stash in about 3 evenings. I only tag alphas (colour and style), papers (mostly wood and newsprint as those are not intuitive) and colour scheme of the kit (only previews). When I spot similar colours, I tag them, too, like I have shown. Oh, I also tag themes - seasons, events (birthday, marriage), holidays (Christmas, Halloween) and things like food, travel, seaside, art (also only previews).. and things like masks, templates (2-pagers, containing a mask), borders. But in the end it really doesn't take as much time as it seems. It helps loving a system, which I do.

If you want to mix, it would totally be enough to tag the similar colour schemes.

Last edited by adrianka; 03-04-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Adrianka, what software do you use for organizing your kits?
--
Mama to Albert
Old 03-04-2016, 05:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelia View Post
Adrianka, what software do you use for organizing your kits?
ACDSee.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
ACDSee.
Is it the free version or did you buy one? I'm tempted....
Old 03-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
Is it the free version or did you buy one? I'm tempted....
I have bought mine. They have a one-month trial, and they have sales really often. I have an ancient version, not that keen on updating all the time.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Like this:

Oh my fetch this is AWESOME! I wish I had the time to go back and do this with all of my stash!!!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm well organized enough to know exactly where those extras are when I want or need them, but I don't use them that often. As life has gotten busier and my scrap time keeps shrinking, I feel like every layout already takes me too long; speeding them up and getting them DONE trumps artistry these days. Plus kits keep getting bigger--there isn't as much of a need to pull in extras as there used to be.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also use ACDsee. I've had several different ways of organizing, but now I tag kits and extras by theme-Halloween, Christmas, Spring, etc. I don't tag by the item because I tend to scrap one kit at a time, or use kits by the same designers. I tag templates by # of photos, and by style of template-project life, mix and match, photo focus, etc. I also have a folder structure-Digi files-then folders by alphas, kits, templates, etc. In the folders, the items are then filed by designer name, then kit name. It works for me. Since I primarily use templates for scrapping, I don't tend to use masks, borders, or edges that often, but I do still keep them and use them occasionally.