Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-18-2021, 02:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Friday Fun Facts 06/18

Things are quieting down a bit with the new pup and I have a bit more free time, life has been good, Remi seems healthy so I think we are past that hurdle now (our mini Aussie will be 6 mths old at the end of the month). I got my 2nd vaccine (yay) and got my hair chopped off quite short. I've fully embraced a LFHC vegan diet these past months.

That's about it for me. What about you? I miss you all, so tell me...
  1. Any changes in habits these past few months?
  2. Any new book/tv/movie recommendations?
  3. Any summer plans?
  4. Doing anything special to take care of "you"?
Old 06-18-2021, 02:21 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Glad things are calming down for you, Rae! Sounds like the new pup has been keeping you on your toes!

We're getting outside more now that the weather is nicer. Everything is green again and it's so beautiful! We're trying to get caught-up watching The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu on the weekends. This summer we plan to get out to Fire Island as much as possible - it's our favorite beach - and eat lots of yummy summery foods.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Any changes in habits these past few months? If you had asked a week ago I'd have said we went from being home almost all the time to something closer to normal: 2 of the kids going to in-person school 4x a week, DH going into the office once or twice a week, and me working out of the house 1-2 days a week. But now it's summer break for me and the kids, which is its own whole change of routine.

Any new book/tv/movie recommendations? Umm...not right now. I read a lot but am terrible at making recommendations.

Any summer plans? Yes! (It feels so good to type that after the past year!) We rented a house near Lake Anna for a week, and that's where we are now. Yesterday we took a day trip to Charlottesville, VA and my rising senior did his first college visit. The University of Virginia just started offering in person tours this week. In a few weeks everyone in the house will be fully vaccinated, then we'll go see my family in CT for the weekend--we haven't seen them since January 2020. The kids and I will go back for longer in August, but DH can't.

Doing anything special to take care of "you"? Not working for the summer I've also just been accepted into grad school for the fall. I'm a preschool teacher and will be working on a masters in early childhood special ed. It will take me a while to finish the degree with work and family, but when I do I'd like to teach a preschool special ed class through the public schools.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are in full swing busy around here. Once school let out the kids activities increased. June 7 was youth camp and then when the oldest got back they had Vacation Bible School...oldest and girlfriend are volunteers and my youngest is doing his last year as a participant.
We are in the throws of swim team as well...
next week is camp for my youngest.
Once he gets back we leave on July 3 for a 2 week road trip...
We are driving to Colorado from Texas to visit Mesa Verde and Great Sand Dunes, we are hoping over to Black Canyon of the Gunnison, the Arches, Canyonland and Dinosaur Monument. We then head to Grand Teton and Yellowstone for a few days. We then drive east to North Dakota for Teddy Rooselvelt park, then down to Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Custer state park, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower before heading home...Whew! It has been a trip just trying to plan it and get accommodation/tours etc...
After we get back on the 18th we leave the following weekend to meet my inlaws to give them our boys for a few weeks. They will fly them back home on August 5th and are staying with us till the 10th. Then school camps and fun stuff starts....Senior pics for my oldest etc. Ahhhhh! I am going to need a vaca AFTER summer but alas we head back to Disney at the end of September so no rest...LOL
I told hubby NO TRAVELING over Thanksgiving this year. He was like why not we have several months rest....AHH help me!
Old 06-18-2021, 08:01 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Any changes in habits these past few months? I started counting calories again and am down 13 pounds in the past 5 weeks, too bad I put on more than that during covid.
Any new book/tv/movie recommendations? I have really been enjoying Workin Moms and Kim's Convenience lately. Both are Canadian comedies. As for books, the Chaos Walking series, War by Sebastian Junger, and Devolution by Max Brooks have been my favorites the last couple months. I haven't watched any new movies lately.
Any summer plans? We are doing a big national park camping trip and kiddo is back to all his summer camps agains so he's super excited.
Doing anything special to take care of "you"? Trying to do massages more often.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScrap View Post
Glad things are calming down for you, Rae! Sounds like the new pup has been keeping you on your toes!

We're getting outside more now that the weather is nicer. Everything is green again and it's so beautiful! We're trying to get caught-up watching The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu on the weekends. This summer we plan to get out to Fire Island as much as possible - it's our favorite beach - and eat lots of yummy summery foods.
I'm about 5 episodes behind on THT and wanted to catch up this wkend but we've gots lots going on this wkend so probably won't get thru all of them but I'm going to try. Love that show!
Old 06-19-2021, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Any changes in habits these past few months? If you had asked a week ago I'd have said we went from being home almost all the time to something closer to normal: 2 of the kids going to in-person school 4x a week, DH going into the office once or twice a week, and me working out of the house 1-2 days a week. But now it's summer break for me and the kids, which is its own whole change of routine.

Any new book/tv/movie recommendations? Umm...not right now. I read a lot but am terrible at making recommendations.

Any summer plans? Yes! (It feels so good to type that after the past year!) We rented a house near Lake Anna for a week, and that's where we are now. Yesterday we took a day trip to Charlottesville, VA and my rising senior did his first college visit. The University of Virginia just started offering in person tours this week. In a few weeks everyone in the house will be fully vaccinated, then we'll go see my family in CT for the weekend--we haven't seen them since January 2020. The kids and I will go back for longer in August, but DH can't.

Doing anything special to take care of "you"? Not working for the summer I've also just been accepted into grad school for the fall. I'm a preschool teacher and will be working on a masters in early childhood special ed. It will take me a while to finish the degree with work and family, but when I do I'd like to teach a preschool special ed class through the public schools.
We just got our 2nd vaccine this wk so we're excited to visit with our family soon too. It's been too long.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Any changes in habits these past few months?
Not for the better. Now that the move is finally complete, though, I can focus on those things.

Any new book/tv/movie recommendations?
"Shadow & Bone" on Netflix was awesome. There's a silly dating show on Hulu called "Dating No Filter" that's fun to watch while I scrap.

Any summer plans?
We finally have all of the big furniture we need for the new house so now it's decorating and DIYing to make it feel more like a home. We're going to FL this fall so no vacays this summer but we're doing our usual things: u-pick, trips to the beach, camps, the zoo, etc.

Doing anything special to take care of "you"?
It is really hard (for me? for everyone?) to make friends as an adult so I'm trying to get "out there" to meet new people: trying to plan get-togethers for my friends, going to local events, and letting people know I'm open to new things & new people.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

So happy to hear Remi is getting healthier every day!!!! I really liked "In the Heights" musical, it's on HBO max right now.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Working on this. I'm (finally!) off work for a few weeks and ready to get my house in shape. I have started meditation using the Balance app and have completed 33 consecutive days. I can't say that meditation has changed anything for me yet, but I'm hoping it eventually helps me with focus. Oh, I also started intermittent fasting again. I feel better when I fast and I don't have as much inflammation. I didn't actually lose weight last time though, but my clothes fit better.

I'm reading a lot of text books right now. I did read The Handmaid's Tale and The Testaments recently. I wanted to read both before going back and catching up on the TV show.

Any summer plans?
I NEED to get my house in order. My house hasn't been clean since I went back to school. I had no time off last summer, so I am thankful for a few weeks this summer to work on that! I WANT to take a trip with hubby somewhere, even a short overnight. I am looking forward to my granddaughter's 4th birthday party in July. They live in CA now and we are in KS so we don't see them often. My stepdaughter has family in OK and will be hosting the birthday party there. We have a grandson born last September who we haven't got to meet yet, so this is a special visit! It's been almost 2 years since we saw them thanks to Covid. All of us have been fully vaccinated for a while except the 15 year old who hits 2 weeks post vac on Tuesday. I'm ready to do something now!

Anything outside the 'habits' question? Not really. I need to get in to see a dermatologist about my rosacea and I really think I need to have a blood panel done as well as a thyroid test. I always put it off.
Old 06-21-2021, 12:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
We then head to Grand Teton and Yellowstone for a few days. We then drive east to North Dakota for Teddy Rooselvelt park, then down to Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Custer state park, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower before heading home...Whew! It has been a trip just trying to plan it and get accommodation/tours etc...
We spent 2 weeks just doing this list minus ND several years ago. What a cool trip you're going to have!! I'm hoping to take my youngest on this trip in the next few years. Enjoy all the cool scenery and animals!!
Old 06-27-2021, 07:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So glad to hear the Remi is doing well!!

I have two more days of treatment that has me very excited. No more daily meds, blood tests or oncology check ups every three weeks. I don’t have to see the doctor until September! Woo hoo!!

I will also be returning to work in September which makes me very happy. I have missed it even though I know this year was not a good one being all online/virtual.

No plans for the summer as still waiting to see what we can do and where we can go. Probably hitting the trails with Harlow and hopefully improving my photography skills. I’m hoping to do some painting, maybe some redecorating around here. I ripped out and redid my small garden out back.

I faithfully get a massage every month to keep lymphedema at bay which is a big take care of me thing. My son is 23 and pretty self sufficient so if I don’t feel like cooking or want to take off for the days it’s not a big deal.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

A few weeks ago I started getting up at 4:30 to walk 3-4 miles, then shower before my littles start arriving at 7. It's also to get my walk in before it gets too hot and humid.

I have been doing audible books.. (I can listen while I walk) The Last thing He Told me by Laura Dave, Clanlands by Sam Heughan & Graham McTavish, Eternal by Lisa Scottoline, Sold on a Monday by Kristina McMorris, The Sory Keeper by Lisa Wingate
I am too tired at night anymore to tv and movies...

Any summer plans?
To "read" and walk lots more.... we are also having our 2020 grads parties.

So I have been selfish this year.... I am calling it my year of me... So in January I decided it was time to get healthy and lose some weight. I am taking lots of time to walk and exercise. On Sundays I do my food prep for breakfast and lunch for the week. If the family wants processed food for dinner, its a "make your own" night and I eat a healthy meal. As of today, I am down 55 pounds.... still have more to go, but I feel great. Way better than I have in a very long time. I average 20,000-24,000 steps a day so I am exhausted and sleep super sound. I have my first cardiologist appointment, since December, in three weeks so I am hoping to have my blood pressure meds lowered or maybe even be done with them.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 06-30-2021, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyLynn View Post

So I have been selfish this year.... I am calling it my year of me... So in January I decided it was time to get healthy and lose some weight. I am taking lots of time to walk and exercise. On Sundays I do my food prep for breakfast and lunch for the week. If the family wants processed food for dinner, its a "make your own" night and I eat a healthy meal. As of today, I am down 55 pounds.... still have more to go, but I feel great. Way better than I have in a very long time. I average 20,000-24,000 steps a day so I am exhausted and sleep super sound. I have my first cardiologist appointment, since December, in three weeks so I am hoping to have my blood pressure meds lowered or maybe even be done with them.
That's great!! Congrats on finding the motivation and your success so far!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2021, 09:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Great questions Rae!

1. On May 8 I started a weight loss journey … a life style change. Since then have lost 20+ pounds and have another 20 to go. We have cut out sugar, dairy and most gluten. Our fridge is now filled with fresh fruits and veggies. It takes a lot less time @ the grocery store because we don’t have to go far other than the meat counter and fresh produce area! Can’t explain how much better I feel! Have been buying clothes @ thrift stores because it seems I only wear them a week or so and they are too baggy (that’s a great problem to have – LOL). Can’t wait to get to my goal so I can splurge on a new wardrobe! Hoping to hit the goal by the end of September.
2. No new books, movies or TV shows, however; will be watching the Olympics! Love them!
3. We are gearing up for retirement in a few months – and on our bucket list is the purchase of a Class A motorhome. Just to make double sure that it is something that we will enjoy, we have one rented for a week later in July. We will travel to far northern WI and see what it’s like to kick back and relax for a whole week!
4. Going back to the changes in our diet … that’s the best way I can think of to take care of “me”!
Old 07-01-2021, 04:16 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I returned to the gym, attend 3 workouts a week and physically feel great.
Any new book / tv / movie recommendations?
I recommend reading the "Elves" series by Bernhard Hennen if you like fantasy.
Any summer plans?
I want to tidy up the area around the house and do some things inside the house. I plan to install smart switches Lutron Dimmer at home, I really want to make the house more functional, the 21st century is in the yard.
I go in for sports, watch my diet, visit a beautician and go for a massage. Still, you need to keep yourself in shape and in good shape.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started a new job 6 weeks ago. Better pay, awesome benefits, and ironically, now that our state of emergency is over here and things are going back to normal, I'm working from home after being on the front lines of long-term facilities all during Covid .
Any new book / tv / movie recommendations?
Nothing new here - I've been catching up on all the shows I didn't have time for while I was working 60+ hours a week for the past year. I've been re-reading Harry Potter at night before bed.

Any summer plans?
Not really. Just hanging out here on the lake while I work from home. Saving my vacation time for when my daughter graduates college in the spring so we can take a trip.
The new job! I was burned out and I'm too old for that sh*t!