Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2015, 10:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Photoshop CC Question

It's been a few months. My computer crashed right around Christmas and I've just managed to replace it.

I'm using Photoshop CC and in those two months "the menu options have changed."

I would very much appreciate if someone would explain to me the difference between "Place Embedded" and "Place Linked."

Thanks!!!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm subscribed to the Photography option (Photoshop plus Lightroom). It's actually quite reasonably priced and I really do prefer the full Photoshop to Elements. Unfortunately, since my PC crashed, it's been impossible to scrap for a couple months and I'm trying to remember things I used to know.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I didn't realize PS had that option but in InDesign, you can place linked files instead of embedding the file into the document, which is exactly what it sounds like - it creates a link to another document rather than adding it to the actual file. There's two benefits to this: it keeps the file size down and it allows you to make changes onbe and have it update across anywhere you've placed that image.

For example if you were a photographer who added a logo to all your images in PS, you could place a linked file and then if you updated the logo at some point, you could make those changes to the original document and it'd change your watermark in all the PSD files.

The downside, assuming it works the same as InDesign, is if you move a linked document on your drive, you'll have to re link it in the files as well or else PS won't know where to find it.

For scrapbooking I don't know that there's any real benefit when you using kits, etc since you're rarely making changes to those files but it's a handy tool to have if you need it.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs up Thanks Nettio!!!

Thanks Nettio! I get it now! So, basically, we've been placing embedded files all along, but now there's an option to place a linked file that will show updates if we update the original linked file. That makes sense!