Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-14-2014, 03:06 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default makeup Q's: do you....

Do you fill your eyebrows?
Do you use a primer (on your face.. LOL not your eyebrows)?

I've noticed, as I'm getting older my eyebrows are getting a little thinner. I've never filled them before.. well, I tried. and it looked stupid. I've watched all these tutorials and what not.. and the women always look lovely.. and I always look like an idiot LOL I just am not sure this is a necessary aspect of my womanly appearance.. until they all fall out maybe I should just deal with what I have (fwiw, I think my eyebrows are great in general. so I should probably just ignore it.. but it seems to be the "thing" to fill them in so they're perfect and even and identical. I am not perfect )

and onto primer. This also appears to be a "thing" but............ I tried some the other day and it seemed stupid. I just got a basic primer, not a colour corrector or anything so maybe thats the problem? It just made my face feel weird and I didn't really understand why this was supposed to be special. It made it MORE obvious I was wearing makeup if anything because it kinda gave my skin a weird texture.. or something. I don't know. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong there.. i know I put too mcuh the first time, LOL I applied it like lotion, and i guess you're just supposed to put dots all over and blend them in till your face is dry?
I tried the revlon photo ready stuff.. but meh. Maybe a better brand will feel less.. odd?
Old 03-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Neither. I like my eyebrows, they are nice. No need to fill in. Primer is just an extra step this lazy makeup wearer is not willing to take. I wear very little as it is.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't use either. Like you, I've been thinking about filling in my eyebrows because everyone seems to be doing it. On my face I use BB cream, foundation and consealer. I bought some colour correction consealer just last week, and I so don't like it, but maybe I just need more practise.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:46 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

i love my bb cream.. i was using that as the primary layer for a while but got tired of it. LOL I don't even know why i stopped haha
Old 03-14-2014, 04:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't even know what facial primer is, but I have started to fill my eyebrows. I don't do it everyday - only when I'm dressing up for something. I definitely think I look better with them filled, as mine are so thin, and getting worse as I get older.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:04 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

do you use a pencil jacinda? or like, powder ... or both?
Old 03-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I use a tinted eyebrow gel, not so much to fill, but because the last time I got my hair colored they looked weird, haha. It does fill them in some though and it looks a lot more natural than the powder/pencil I tried first.

I use a primer too since it's kind of necessary if you want your makeup to last more than 2 seconds in the Texas heat/humidity. I also use mineral makeup but I don't really like the look of powder so the primer makes it go on more smoothly. You only need to use a pea-sized amount for your entire face or else it'll flake or look weird.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No on the eyebrows - I've always had "skinny" brows and even at 50+ I haven't seen much difference in them. I just can't be bothered to add an extra step to my already minimal routine.

No on the primer - I use a tinted moisturizer (love Bobbi Brown) and then a very light dusting of bronzer and that's it. Of course this is on the few days a month that I actually wear ANY make up at all
Old 03-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I don't fill in my eyebrows, but I do use primer. I have a little acne and blotchy skin, so I use one that hides some of the redness. I feel like it makes my skin look smoother and helps my foundation stay on longer.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I don't really know why I even clicked on this thread since I don't wear makeup at all, but huh. I had no idea "primer" was a makeup thing. Learn something new every day.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:38 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

lol lorry

it's ok.. i still can't understand the whole bronzer thing. it always seems weird to me.. maybe it's because i'm so pale... it looks pretty on ladies with a darker complexion than me.. but the very thought alone scares me LOL
Old 03-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren grier View Post
lol lorry

it's ok.. i still can't understand the whole bronzer thing. it always seems weird to me.. maybe it's because i'm so pale... it looks pretty on ladies with a darker complexion than me.. but the very thought alone scares me LOL
LOL - I use it instead of blush and just brush lightly all over lightly - just gives me a little pick me up. I'm not dark by any means but not really pale either.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I don't use primer... but I probably should. My makeup doesn't last the day in this heat & humidity.

As for the eyebrows. I recently have started filling in the thin areas with black/brown (the color of my eyebrows) eye shadow. I have a little tiny eyeliner brush that I use to just dab in the thin areas. I use the powder for eyeliner and just tried it one day on my eyebrows out of curiousity and it looks natural. But, it's not like I have a huge amount to fill in, just a few small spots. I use Loreal HIP eye shadow because it is nice and rich & pigmented... and it lasts.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Brook I LOVE your new pic! So pretty!

When it comes to make up, you name it, I use it. Pretty ridiculous, I know! But my mom is the QUEEN of make up. I'm talking a toolbox full of lipsticks and liners, cases full of brushes, palettes of shadows and blushes... And glitter and sparkles. LOTS of it! And she is always beautiful and classy!

My sister ended up a cosmetologist so we do a lot with hair and make up in this family. Must be a gene thing! lol. She taught me everything I know! I love my primer and you definitely need to use it sparingly. I feel like it gives a real nice even tone to my skin and helps with my overall appearance. Bronzing powder makes a HUGE difference when you use it right. You don't want too much, and you have to put it in the right places. Pinterest and Youtube have some awesome tips on bronzer application. And my eyebrows, I do fill in. Mine are pretty blonde, so it helps to have some color on there. I'm 28 years old and I just started doing this. My sister informed me when I saw her at Christmas, that "It's high time" I started filling in my eyebrows. I use a pencil first to line and then use a brown shadow to fill them in.

I don't go all out every day, but I LOVE to get all dolled up for special occasions, or when I'm going out. It's fun! I love makeup! lol!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NellahBean View Post
Brook I LOVE your new pic! So pretty!
Thanks! I'm not sure about it yet. I feel like I'm staring too intently. Not sure you all want to play the staring game with me every time you come to the forums. LOL!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm absolutely clueless.
BUT should you ever need help with Clown, Sci-Fi or Trampy make-up tips... i'll totally hook you up, Sugah!!
Old 03-14-2014, 06:33 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Hahah loni!

I tried the primer again because we are going out to dinner shortly. I used a teeny bit and super blended it in. Still don't love it. It makes around my nose and mouth area kinda blah. I may just skip those areas next time. It looks nice around cheeks and eye areas so either I'm still using too much in the other areas or I'm just an idiot lol.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use bb cream as my primer/base.

I try to even out and fill my eyebrows in with a brow pencil. I got a really good angled brow pencil in an ipsy bag last year; before that I had never tried it.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OK, I'm weird. I use primer on TOP of my mineral makeup. It totally hides all my pores. I only put it on my nose and chin and then spread it a little outward. I use very little.

Ugh, eyebrows. I plucked them like crazy as a teenager and now there is supposedly scar tissue so they won't grow and they are thin and light. Every time I have my hair colored I have them colored. I think I look younger with eyebrows you can see (and I need all the help I can get). The color on the eyebrows only lasts about 2 weeks though and then I have to do them myself. I don't fill in, I mostly just use a pencil and run it back and forth coloring the hair. My hairstylist told me what to buy at the beauty supply store to color them myself, but I'm scared to death to do it. I have a brand new job and I can just see them turning black or orange or something and having to go into work that way.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

wth is makeup primer??? like foundation?
lol

Anyway, if I bother with that type of stuff I just use a tinted moisturizer from Merle Norman (it's one of the few brands I'm not ridiculously allergic too. lol) I like it well enough, I can't do a full on foundation because it covers my freckles and I look like a creepy freak that way.

Eyebrows, dude, I gave up on those long ago. lol They is blonde, there's no helping them. But in other news - one of my friends has hers TATTOOED on. Like big thick black caterpillar monsters.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 03-14-2014, 07:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have filled in my brows with powder. I have pretty full brows but sometimes it helps. Just remember eyebrows should be sisters not twins. Not exactly alike but they should resemble each other. For brows I use a cheap Milani brow kit.

I also use primer. In the Arizona heat, my makeup melts so a primer plus a setting spray keeps it in place. Primer might not be working for you because of your skin type. Some primrers are better suited for dry skin and vice versa. I have used Smashbox (broke me out), rimmel (nice and basic) and miracle blur by loreal. I also use eye primer to keep my shadows going strong.

As for Bronzer, I use it to contour and warm up my face. And I am pale. I watched a lot of YouTube videos to get it down. The important thing is get a Bronzer that is matte and without a lot of orange or red in it. You want a true brown. I use Bahama Mama from theBalm at it works for me.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
do you use a pencil jacinda? or like, powder ... or both?
I use an eyebrow pencil and soften/blend it with a stiff brush.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:30 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I use powder on my brows because they are very, very light in color. So it really helps to define them and brightens the look of my face. I don't use primer or foundation for that matter. I usually on do eye makeup and maybe a light powder on my face if my skin is blotchy. I just can't be bothered much anymore. :P
Old 03-15-2014, 07:18 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I apply a brown eye shadow with a very small brush to enhance my eyebrows. I'm not religious about applying it, but I frequently do. I don't have thinning eyebrows, but it does accentuate the eyebrow shape.

I own primer, but very rarely use it. I don't notice it alters the appearance of my make up per se, it's just supposed to improve the longevity of the make up. I'm mostly just too lazy to apply it, lol.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL, I have weird brows (see my avatar) in that they get sparse near the middle and ends. So yes, I fill them in with eyebrow powder. I use a stiff, angled brush. My brow kit includes some kind of waxy thing that you apply so brow hairs are flattened and groomed.

Primer I discovered only last year. I use the Smashbox one and it's been brilliant at filling in all my tiny lines in my mega-crazy eye bags. It's good for sort of blurring my acne scars too. And it just makes my foundation apply smoother and last longer. My friend described primer the best: It's like constantly having a camera on soft focus on your face.

After about eight months of using it, I had to give up my bb cream (I used Missha, which is an Asian brand very popular around here). It caused my skin to break out because it was too rich--obviously intended for those with four seasons. So I am back to using liquid foundation.

Last edited by mrshobbes; 03-15-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely fill in my brows. Otherwise I don't look like I have any! I use products by benefit - brow zings (has a powder and wax) and speed brow (it's a quick set brow gel - with light color). Love them both.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I most definitely fill in my eyebrows because they're blonde and having eyebrows looks way better than not having eyebrows. I don't draw them on and I don't go dark.

I also use primer if I'm not using BB cream or tinted moisturizer, it makes a huge difference here (hot and humid) and make up goes on so much nicer. I've used some really great primers and a couple that just sucked. It really takes a very small amount.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My makeup routine is simple - concealer, powder (both from MAC), eye shadow when I feel like it, and a few dabs of lipstick if I look pale.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Apparently the thick huge eyebrow thing a la Brooke Shields from my youth is still keeping my eyebrows from thinning. Who knew that would turn out to be a positive thing later on in life? As for primer, not anymore. Like Trish, I'm ridiculously allergic to SO MANY different types of makeup nowadays and anything primer wise turned out to trigger mine. So I'll stick with the two types of makeup foundations that DON'T make me puff up and turn red and itchy. Bronzer is SO not happening on me. I've got this Snow White thing goin' on with my coloring and never found anything in that color range that didn't look strange. Blush has gotta be pink (or pinkish) or I look odd.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I bought a little tester size of smashbox primer from Sephora and it got me hooked, although it took a while to get used to it. Depending on the type, you may not need to use much at all. I find it makes my makeup go on smoother, covers up some pores and lines and makes foundation last longer.

I have pretty thick brows so I don't fill them much, except sometimes I'll "perfect" them with a pencil or that tinted powder/wax stuff if it is a special occasion.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:05 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by staciahall View Post
Apparently the thick huge eyebrow thing a la Brooke Shields from my youth is still keeping my eyebrows from thinning. Who knew that would turn out to be a positive thing later on in life? As for primer, not anymore. Like Trish, I'm ridiculously allergic to SO MANY different types of makeup nowadays and anything primer wise turned out to trigger mine. So I'll stick with the two types of makeup foundations that DON'T make me puff up and turn red and itchy. Bronzer is SO not happening on me. I've got this Snow White thing goin' on with my coloring and never found anything in that color range that didn't look strange. Blush has gotta be pink (or pinkish) or I look odd.

yeh the blushes i have to use are quite.. PINK lol. really bright bubbly scary looking pink but that's what works on my face hahaha.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:07 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I bought a little tester size of smashbox primer from Sephora and it got me hooked, although it took a while to get used to it. Depending on the type, you may not need to use much at all. I find it makes my makeup go on smoother, covers up some pores and lines and makes foundation last longer.

I have pretty thick brows so I don't fill them much, except sometimes I'll "perfect" them with a pencil or that tinted powder/wax stuff if it is a special occasion.

see.. i think i just have the wrong type of primer..or a crappy one. It makes the pores around my nose more obvious. it's weird crap and i'm not bothering with it anymore. I barely put any on my face again today and I just UGH! I have pretty dry skin, especially during the winter (but break out prone. thanks skin?) so maybe i need to experiment more but right now i'm prepared to huck the bottle in the trash
Old 03-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
yeh the blushes i have to use are quite.. PINK lol. really bright bubbly scary looking pink but that's what works on my face hahaha.
i think i remember seeing some makeup guru on a talk show say that when it comes to choosing blush - go MORE pink than you think you should. she said it always looks better...so you're right on there!!

i have pretty thick,d ark brows - so no need to fill 'em in here. and all i do for my face is add a little foundation to my cream, then a little powder on top. but that's only like once a week, when i actually wear makeup at all.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
see.. i think i just have the wrong type of primer..or a crappy one. It makes the pores around my nose more obvious. it's weird crap and i'm not bothering with it anymore. I barely put any on my face again today and I just UGH! I have pretty dry skin, especially during the winter (but break out prone. thanks skin?) so maybe i need to experiment more but right now i'm prepared to huck the bottle in the trash
I found the Smashbox primer through googling "best primers for Asian/Filipino skin". I know some favourites across the board include Benefit's Pore-fessional and Mac.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always use Primer. I use Almay. It smells like butt, but it really makes a difference, especially in this heat.

I don't fill my eyebrows, mostly because mine don't need it yet..and thats one more thing to melt in the texas heat lol
Old 03-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Also use primer get to because of the heat here in California. Helps set my makeup so that it does not melt everywhere.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Like Sheri I use my dark eyeshadow/liner for my brows, but I use VERY LITTLE or else I think I look stupid. I use enough to add a touch of color and that's about it.

When we are going out, I do contour my make-up and wow, it really makes a difference (followed some great you-tube videos) but it is not something I do everyday.

As to primer, I'm clueless, but if it makes your pores stand out, then I think it's a no-go.

What is the BB cream everyone mentions...seems like I might need it if it's so popular. HA!

Penny
Old 03-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm so not girly enough to read/understand this thread... it's like, written in a foreign language to me.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My primer is the Smashbox one too. This one. I buy the smaller one. It's only $10 at Sephora - I use so little, that lasts me like a year.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Springmann View Post
What is the BB cream everyone mentions...seems like I might need it if it's so popular. HA!
Here ya go, Penny: http://hudabeauty.com/2013/06/25/bea...ing-bb-creams/

I fell in love with bb creams about two years ago, I guess when the whole "dewy" look got popular. I had to give it up last year because I discovered it was the source of crazy breakouts I would get on my cheeks and chin. My makeup artist friend said it's likely because the formulations I use (Asian brands) are very rich, meant for skin that experiences four seasons.

I know there's also a difference in formulations for Asian and North American/European brands, though I don't know what they are exactly. But basically they can replace foundation because they blend better with skin tones.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

cool..thanks, Lex!

Penny
Old 03-17-2014, 08:19 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No need for me to fill in my eyebrows. I have enough of those.

I don't use primer either. I use a mineral powder because my skin is so sensitive. I'm not opposed to using a primer. I just haven't found anything that doesn't make me greasy. I live in California and it gets HOT here. So between the heat and my skin tending to be a little on the greasy side, primer just doesn't work for me.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

I don't wear any makeup. I used to but with acne and some other skin issues, I gave it up almost 10 years ago. My face will clear up and be fine for a while and then, it will take a turn. It's easier and less time consuming to just let it be.