Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Birthday Traditions

My birthday was yesterday. Our usual tradition is that the birthday person gets to choose their favorite restaurant for dinner, and I either make a cake and we sing happy birthday and open presents at home (our family is fairly introverted and don't like to have the servers sing to them in restaurants )
For my kids & hubby, I put up "happy birthday" banners, and when they were little, I had a birthday button that they would wear to school.
We had birthday parties for the kids when they were younger. I had my first ever birthday party when I turned 29.
Ours are pretty simple celebrations.

I'm curious...What are your family's birthday traditions??
Old 01-19-2019, 04:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Birthdays are scared on my side of the family. I'm an only child and my mom has always been big on celebrating my birthday on the day... always had a birthday party with a theme and she made my cake. Now that I'm older, she still makes me any cake flavor I would like, most of the time it's carrot cake and she also makes me my favorite meal - tenderloin tips and mashed potatoes. Since I was born at 11:29am... she comes to see me at that time so that when the clock strikes the time, she can kiss me and sign me happy birthday... since high school, only twice I wasn't able to either see or or get a call from her at that time.

For my son (also an only)... I go all out on his birthday party (which is family), always themed and I make his cake... usually the weekend before or after his birthday. On the day of his birthday, he gets to choose all that we do (homeschooled so classes are canceled). Last year he wanted to play games, etc. We have lunch and/or dinner at my mom's... she makes him a cake and we open presents, etc.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Our birthday traditions is that we can choose what will be cooked that day, and i bake a cake or 2 to choose from. Next to that the kids are allowed to bring a birthday treat to their class. And there will be singing there as well same as at home. And a week before they are allowed to choose a new birthday outfit in the store. but for adults no special new clothes well we choose to or not.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Similar to yours Tammy. We let the bday person pick either going out or what they want cooked. Cake is their choice, whether bought or I bake it. We do a few presents at home.
When they were elementary ages we'd have parties often too.
I've had a few parties when I was younger. And DH surprised me with a party a few years ago which was nice.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Birthdays are a big deal on my side of the family. We have family dinner (almost) every Thursday night at my parents' house so we celebrate adult birthdays the closest Thursday to the actual day. My mom makes whatever your requested meal is & a cake. My birthday is next Saturday so next Thursday we're having pizza + homemade peppermint cheesecake with Oreo crust and chocolate ganache (hence why we're having pizza!). There are a few gifts + singing. There are only three grandchildren & two of them have bdays the first week in May so we have a full-blown bday party for the boys in May and my daughter in August. They get cake and singing and presents, too.

We haven't had friend bday parties for the kids yet. We keep moving and not having money. My son is now in preschool and 2 of the 8 boys in the class have had parties at SkyZone (indoor trampoline park) so I know my son wants to have his there, too. My daughter's is always the first week of school so it's a weird/busy time to have a party.

My traditions for my kids are buying them a special bday outfit (or at least a shirt) and taking their photo that morning. Treats are brought to school. If it's a weekend, they get to choose what we do that day & we go out to eat wherever they want for dinner. I do not make them another cake but we usually have cupcakes or brownies and sing and exchange gifts. I try to do a quick "photo shoot" sometime that day of the bday kid.

I do NOT cook on my bday (or Mothers' Day) and my husband refuses to cook any day so we'll end up either eating out twice next Saturday or having frozen food that can be baked or nuked.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For the kids, we do a simple home birthday party with some family (we don't have much family close enough to come). The kids choose their favorite dessert for me to make, whether it is cake or something else. Within the past couple of years, I've had more alternative options chosen like cheesecakes and brownies. They used to pick a cake flavor, kind of frosting, and a theme, and I'd decorate a cake for them. They also choose their party decor. We try to keep it inexpensive but fun. They also get to choose a dinner, whether it is pizza at home, a meal I cook, or fast food.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We also allow the birthday person to choose the meal, home cooked or out at a restaurant. And the birthday person never had to do chores. We made a big deal out of it. I will take the dog out since it's Ben's birthday... They could have parties, but not big expensive affairs. They usually chose a few friends to sleep over. We did have a surprise party for one son once.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:52 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Growing up my sister and I always celebrated our birthdays together (we're 2 years, 6 days apart). Simply family gatherings. Mom would make our favorite dinner on our actual bday. Cake or special dessert at the family gathering. Pretty low key.
So it was ironic that my own children happened to be born 2 years, 6 days apart. Hey I know how this birthday celebrating goes! Now throw into the mix that my husband's bday is at the 3 day mark of that week (and funny side note, he and his brother are 2 years, 16 days apart).
For the kids (& hubby) they get to pick the dinner on their actual bday. We do a family gathering to celebrate all of three of them with special desserts all the way around.
We used to have joint birthday parties for their friends to attend but as the kids got a little older it was hard to convince them to share a location. Last year, my son decided he just wanted to invite a few buddies out to lunch and hang out at the house (Wow that was nice and easy!) My daughter had a tea party with just a handful of girlfriends. It's been interesting to watch their desires shift from the Bouncy Houses, Trampoline Gyms, Bowling Alleys, etc to smaller simpler affairs.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It's so fun reading all of your traditions!!
My sister's birthday is today (the day after mine - 2 years & 1 day apart), so we always celebrated together.
My mom usually made each of us a cake or pie. I always chose lemon meringue and my sister always chose cherry.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:10 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Birthday person wakes up to a bunch of balloons hanging in his/her doorway. Some of the balloons have cash inside!

Same as most of the above, birthday person chooses the meal.

We do parties when we do parties I aim for every other year, but sometimes they are yearly or every 3rd year. Just depends Our birthday parties so far have always been at home, since I love the planning & set-up. We've just done color-scheme for 1st birthday, but then themed after that--
My son's 2nd was "Things that Go", 3rd was "Construction", 4th he just spent a day at my aunt's pool with cousins, 5th "dinosaurs", 6th....road trip as we moved that day from IL to SC, so we stopped at DQ & met cousins in KY for pizza along the way 7th- Survivor! (This was my faaaaaavorite one to plan!!)
My poor daughter is the typical second child and only has 2 parties under her belt! She had a 1st birthday party and a super-fun 4th birthday party (Adopt a Pet). We're having a Play-Doh party next weekend to celebrate her 5th birthday.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

For my son, we always have a big birthday party. When he was little, it was with our extended family, but now it's been with friends. He choses where and we go all out. He just turned 12 though so I said that was the last big party. In the future, he'll just get to do something fun with a friend. He also gets to decide what he wants for supper that night. Normally he wants me or my fiancé to cook him something, but some years he choses to go out to eat. He also brings cupcakes to school, but now that he is in middle school, I wasn't sure that was possible. His teacher said it was ok to bring treats to homeroom though so we grabbed a pastries tray from Sam's Club and he was king of the school passing them out all day. lol

For my birthday, I always go out for my free Mexican meal at a restaurant. My fiancé normally wants to go out for steak and I make him whatever treat he wants.

Last edited by lovely1m; 01-20-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Happy belated birthday, Tammy!!

The kids never have to go (do- when they were homeschooled) to school on their birthday. It's their official day off!

Depending on where we live, I will usually try to get the kids birthday balloons from the Dollar Tree. If we aren't near one of them or they don't sell balloons, I'll get one really nice balloon from a party store.

The birthday person gets to pick their favorite meal for dinner and I will make it (does not apply for my birthday)

The birthday child get to pick the theme for their birthday cake and what kind of cake (dessert) they'd like for their birthday).

Outside of those things, we don't really have any other traditions when it comes to birthdays.

We are always moving, so having family parties (with extended family members) isn't a luxury we can do. Because of moving all the time, the kids hardly ever have parties due to not having enough friends to invited. This year, we are going to try to have a party for William (his birthday is next month), but the teacher has a zero tolerance for birthday party invites, so I don't know if we'll be able to make that happen or not. I can count on one hand the amount of parties my three children have had. But we always celebrate as a family--it's that kid's day and we try to make them feel special even if we can't throw them big parties!

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 01-20-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
Birthday person wakes up to a bunch of balloons hanging in his/her doorway. Some of the balloons have cash inside!
This is a fantastic idea... especially for teenagers!!
Old 01-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Birthday person chooses a home-cooked dinner and a birthday treat on the day of their birthday. Cake is rarely chosen- they're picked everything from ice cream trifles to Hershey bars. On the weekend closest to your birthday you get to choose a restaurant and a family activity (movies, playground, laser tag, etc.)

Parties have varied a lot by kid. In preschool we did them every year and invited the whole class. My oldest had small parties every year until he was about 11 and stopped wanting them. My middle son is on the autism spectrum and doesn't really have good friends to invite, so we do a bigger family activity for him. My daughter just turned 10 and hasn't showed any desire to stop having parties. In the last few years she's switched to sleepovers, but I miss her 2-hour paint your own pottery parties. Those were so much less work for me!

Grownups just do dinner out over the weekend for their birthdays. Sometimes on the day of our birthday we'll also order dinner in together after the kids have gone to sleep.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2019, 03:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

hmm no real traditions. I make a cake for my girls or I buy a Costco sheet cake for the party and decorate it.

Growing up my mom would make me a cake of my choice. So I try to do that for my girls too.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
hmm no real traditions. I make a cake for my girls or I buy a Costco sheet cake for the party and decorate it.

Growing up my mom would make me a cake of my choice. So I try to do that for my girls too.
I LOVE Costco cakes!! I had hubby go buy one for me this year, instead of making my own cake. I'll end up freezing more than half of it, but that's okay...snacks once in a while are good!
Old 01-20-2019, 10:19 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I love birthdays! When my brother and sister were growing up, my parents went overboard - jumping castles, petting zoos, live music, Barbie who did the girl's makeup! And since someone always had to work at the shop, we usually had more than one celebration - it turned into birthday week.

As far as meaningful traditions go, the one that sticks with me the most is my mother telling us our birth story. Every year it's a little different, embellishments here and there. No matter where we are in the world or what we are doing, we make sure to have this special moment. It's definitely a tradition I will pass on to my kiddos!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlimarie View Post
As far as meaningful traditions go, the one that sticks with me the most is my mother telling us our birth story. Every year it's a little different, embellishments here and there. No matter where we are in the world or what we are doing, we make sure to have this special moment. It's definitely a tradition I will pass on to my kiddos!
That's a really cool tradition!! What an awesome thing to pass down!
Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I LOVE Costco cakes!! I had hubby go buy one for me this year, instead of making my own cake. I'll end up freezing more than half of it, but that's okay...snacks once in a while are good!
Haha yes we also froze more than half! I just pulled out a big piece last week and my girls were so happy!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We keep birthdays simple and family focused! When the girls were little, we had really bad attendance for their birthday parties. Rather than them being disappointed in poor attendance year after year, we did away with parties. Starting with the oldest's birthday, each year was a different "event" for the birthday. We went to a movie (birthday child picking), out to eat (bday child chose), activity- anything from pro basketball game, concert etc.

Each of them get to chose a "dream" trip when they turn 16! This past year we spent a week Up North MI- hiking, waterfalls, beaches, scenic drives. This year we are going on a Disney Cruise and 2 days at Universal Studios. Next year we are going back to Disney for a Hawaii themed trip- Ohana, Discovery Cove, etc.

Otherwise, we keep them simple and just our little family! We all seem to like them better that way!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
Each of them get to chose a "dream" trip when they turn 16! This past year we spent a week Up North MI- hiking, waterfalls, beaches, scenic drives. This year we are going on a Disney Cruise and 2 days at Universal Studios. Next year we are going back to Disney for a Hawaii themed trip- Ohana, Discovery Cove, etc.
Wow! This is a great tradition!! We had a HUGE sweet 16 for our daughter. It honestly cost more than her wedding. I really wish she had picked a trip instead!!!
Old 01-22-2019, 12:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We keep ours pretty simple too. They get to choose their birthday dinner and they always bring a treat of their choice to school. This is their 4th elementary school... 2 have allowed homemade treats, 2 haven't. So the ones that allow me to bring something in we go all out like cupcake cones or dipped and decorated rice Krispy treats, dirt cups, etc. We usually do something as a family for their birthday too - movies, a tram ride up the mountain, the zoo, etc. I wish we could do a big family party but as you know we don't live anywhere near family so that's a no go. One summer we went home for a visit and my mom threw an "Every Holiday Party" for all the holidays we miss out on. She had fireworks, egg hunt, birthday cupcakes, Secret Santa, you name it. That was the best!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
We keep ours pretty simple too. They get to choose their birthday dinner and they always bring a treat of their choice to school. This is their 4th elementary school... 2 have allowed homemade treats, 2 haven't. So the ones that allow me to bring something in we go all out like cupcake cones or dipped and decorated rice Krispy treats, dirt cups, etc. We usually do something as a family for their birthday too - movies, a tram ride up the mountain, the zoo, etc. I wish we could do a big family party but as you know we don't live anywhere near family so that's a no go. One summer we went home for a visit and my mom threw an "Every Holiday Party" for all the holidays we miss out on. She had fireworks, egg hunt, birthday cupcakes, Secret Santa, you name it. That was the best!
That sounds so sweet! What a fun way to catch up with family and celebrate those holidays you missed!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
We keep birthdays simple and family focused! When the girls were little, we had really bad attendance for their birthday parties. Rather than them being disappointed in poor attendance year after year, we did away with parties. Starting with the oldest's birthday, each year was a different "event" for the birthday. We went to a movie (birthday child picking), out to eat (bday child chose), activity- anything from pro basketball game, concert etc.

Otherwise, we keep them simple and just our little family! We all seem to like them better that way!
**wishing I was a daughter of Dawn to get a dream trip!! **

Oh wait, we still need to do our 40-year old trip that we said we were going to do for years. One of these years, right?!
Old 01-22-2019, 03:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That sounds so sweet! What a fun way to catch up with family and celebrate those holidays you missed!
It really was! My girls are always asking for another one. Guess we should be hitting up those after holiday sales for cheap decorations and party favors right?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I love that!!! That's perfect for all of us who can never get home on/near the birthday!! I should suggest this to my parents for when we go home for a visit--maybe his parents too since we've missed birthdays for three years!!
Old 01-22-2019, 03:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post

Oh wait, we still need to do our 40-year old trip that we said we were going to do for years. One of these years, right?!
Haha "a daughter of Dawn"... that sounds like some made for TV movie title or something like that. All jokes aside, what an awesome tradition! My mom gave me the choice when I graduated high school, then again college, if I wanted a party or the money. I took the money and bought a real bed. Haha how boring, but practical. I would have fainted if a trip was the alternative!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post

oh wow, we totally didn't do this! Life got in the way! Maybe once I'm done with 3 sweet 16 trips back to back...I'll have a breahter (and more money) and we can take our trip! The original plan was Oregon or Washington I believe? But, if you're moving out my direction, we'll have to pick something closer! Maybe we can do something closer to where you will be living. It would give you a chance to explore the area, and I could visit with you! If it wasn't a huge trip, I may be able to swing it sooner...after the cruise though! hmmmmm, I'm thinking Nashville would be nice?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Haha "a daughter of Dawn"... that sounds like some made for TV movie title or something like that. All jokes aside, what an awesome tradition! My mom gave me the choice when I graduated high school, then again college, if I wanted a party or the money. I took the money and bought a real bed. Haha how boring, but practical. I would have fainted if a trip was the alternative!
LOL, sounds like a horror movie! and a bed is a good practical gift, nothing wrong with that!
Old 01-24-2019, 12:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I love when schools allow parents to bring homemade goodies. It's so much more personal! Although, Connor ALWAYS chose Krispy Kreme donuts. LOL!

Oh my goodness!!! We're really hoping Kayla, Luke & the kids come for Connor's graduation at the end of May. If they do, I'm TOTALLY doing this!!!