Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default My Poor Fishies...

I bought 7 little guppie type fish...I dunno, they were cheap and the chick at the fish store wouldn't let me buy 2 goldfish for my 3 gallon tank, she kept saying they'd die. Well...I'm down to 3 fish, lol. I can't seem to keep these things alive, lol....and I'm thinking my kids will be sad when they see how few are left (when they left on Sunday I still had 5).

Somehow I'm thinking I shouldn't have bought fishies, lol...
Old 09-03-2009, 09:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Try this...we started with 5, then down to 2 when the water finally was equilibrated (good/bad bacteria cycled yada yada) so I got three more to bring it back to 5 (10 gal tank). Well I went on three trips this summer and my fish died off while I was gone (DH fed them too much I think) so now we are down to 1. So like, I put one of those feed disk things that look like slime in the tank and set it on a timer and we went out of town for 3 weeks. I was hoping it would die actually so I could be done with it. The stupid thing won't die! And I would feel bad if I actually tried to kill it, (you know fish homicide) so now I'm stuck cleaning the stupid tank and fighting the algae that never dies for one stupid lousy fish that my boys don't even pay any attention to anymore!

Feeder goldfish next time. If one dies, then just buy another!!! They are like 25 cents or something!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, these were cheapies, lol...I got 7 of them for $1.50, haha. I should just head back to the store and get a couple more, they'll be smaller because these ones have grown quite a bit in the last week, but whatever...
Old 09-03-2009, 09:47 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

they're either feeder fish.. or starter fish. They're supposed to die ^_^ Very rarely you'll get one of the cheapies to last a while.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yup, talk to La about fish! She's queen of fishy discussions! I had a loooong conversation about fish with La for my mom! LOL! My mom started the whole fish frenzy! I don't have fish, I would like to but not yet.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Poor lil' guppies. Don't feel bad... those cheap lil' guppies aren't as easy to keep alive as the pet store peeps tell you. Most of the time the workers at those pet stores don't know crap about fish anyhow. If you are looking for live breaders that are hardier I would go with mollies instead, but they can end up getting quite big and with your size tank prolly not the best idea.

I would think that 2 goldfish (not the ones that get huge) would be fine in a 3 gallon tank. Some goldfish don't get that big (and even the ones that do take years and years to get really big). JMO tho.

I used to have two beautiful tropical fish tanks (a 55-gallon tanks and a 20-gallon), but when we moved back to Virginia Beach (5+ years ago) I never got around to setting them all back up. They are sitting out in the garage collecting dust. My absolute favorite fish are angel fish. I lurve them. It broke my heart to have to sell them to the pet store when we moved last time. I really should set at least one of them up and get me some fishies of my own to love. ♥

Hugs,
Eva

Eva Kipler
BLOGSWEET SHOPPE STORE TWITTER FACEBOOK FAN PAGE NEWSLETTER SIGNUP

♥ SNAG IF YOU ARE A FAN! ♥ ------------->
Old 09-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Get an algae eater!!!...best thing i've ever done for my school of fishies lol...never clean it...just change the filter...i do have a striped tiger fish that has eaten all my lil fish...and i hate it..sooo close to taking it out of the fish tank!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Does an algae eater eat algae in the water (not on things?). Seriously I have algae bloom constantly. And yes it is near a window, my whole house except for the bathrooms is near a window and I cover it with towels during the day to keep the algae down. I put algae killer in it (but I was on vacation so I didn't then) and it gets better but never totally gone!

And I do have a Molly (3 other Mollies have died and some other little fish that is supposed to be hardy have died too). I am about to totally start over with the tank and clean it completely out.

Oh and La is reading this...I clean it with the vacuum thing once a month like I was told but it never gets all the dead algae/debris out. Can I do it more often? Should I wait a couple of days before doing a second batch? I only remove 1/3 to just under 1/2 of the water and it still only gets some of the gunk!!

I just don't want to be a "Fish Killer"!! LOL!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had 2 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank and that was really too small for them. They are dirty, dirty fish! We had to clean the tank 1/wk.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We had a fishtank and never bought fish for the thing. Just took a net to a local pond/canal and caught them ourselves and I swear those thing never died!! We had them for a long time before I finally took them back out to the canal and dumped them back in it. I got a guinea pig for the tank after that.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 09-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Get a beta fish. They are cheap and our wouldn't die even when we wanted to. It would go for weeks without food.