Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-05-2018, 05:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Upgrading RAM

PSE has been a bit glitchy and I’ve changed as many settings as I can. My laptop is approx 7 months old. I currently have 8 GB of RAM and can have a max of 16GB - would you add 4GB this that is semi affordable or save and get 8GB which might be 2-3 months away. The reason I’m umming over the decision is the price of 8 is $160 where as 4 is $80 plus I have to get it installed otherwise my 3 year warranty is void. I’ve previously only ever upgraded outside of warranty periods so haven’t had to worry about voiding my warranty and just asked my good friend who is really techy to do it.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 01-05-2018, 10:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I would go for the 8 GB personally. But with which choice to you feel most comfortable? Are you willing to wait and spend the bigger amount of money? Or don't you want to wait?

Old 01-05-2018, 11:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's hard to say, because running slowly can also be caused by your HD (its type and speed or how full it is) or other things. Are you sure that RAM is the cause of the problem? If you share the model or stats of your computer, we might be able to make a better recommendation. I'd hate to see you splurge on the 8 GB of RAM and then find out it doesn't solve your problem!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
It's hard to say, because running slowly can also be caused by your HD (its type and speed or how full it is) or other things. Are you sure that RAM is the cause of the problem? If you share the model or stats of your computer, we might be able to make a better recommendation. I'd hate to see you splurge on the 8 GB of RAM and then find out it doesn't solve your problem!
Here are my laptop specs

Product name HP Notebook - 15-ay148tx
Microprocessor Intel® Core™ i5-7200U (2.5 GHz, up to 3.1 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
Memory, standard 8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
Video graphics AMD Radeon™ R5 M430 Graphics (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Hard drive 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

Currently my hard drive has less than 150GB full so I'm pretty confident that hard drive space is not an issue here

To give a bit more background this is what was happening - I've had no problems prior to this layout and none after. My laptop is only 7 months old so its not old by any stretch

I've been working on a layout for awhile and suddenly weird things are happening when I am duplicating and moving items around, bringing papers in, copying layer styles just to name a few. When I am duplicating items and moving them around or copying layer styles they arent duplicating or copying correctly and I am left with "stamps of colored areas" on both the original item and the new one, when I bring papers in they are being cut into strips as they are coming over to the template when they are fine in their original file. The problem areas on the layout are the white patches (not the white strokes I've added to my photos)

Scrappy Instagram

Old 01-05-2018, 10:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I personally would save for the max ram allowance. But that's me. If you are going to upgrade, do it big so you don't have to keep investing every couple of months, just once and hopefully be done for a long time.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I personally would save for the max ram allowance. But that's me. If you are going to upgrade, do it big so you don't have to keep investing every couple of months, just once and hopefully be done for a long time.
that’s what I’m leaning towards if in fact my issue is RAM related but right now i’m not 100% sure because the fact the following day while PSE was a bit glitchy it wasn’t nearly as bad and I could do CTRL + S and close/reopen PSE and all was good again.

Scrappy Instagram

Old 01-06-2018, 10:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

From what you've described, I don't think it's a RAM issue. I wonder if a specific file, style, or font you're using on this layout might have corrupted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 01:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It might be that your processor is slow. I kept telling my son (beginning techy) that I needed more RAM, but he found that it was my processor and graphics card.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
From what you've described, I don't think it's a RAM issue. I wonder if a specific file, style, or font you're using on this layout might have corrupted?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Could be, but those same styles and fonts were good on a different layout the following day plus they are relatively new. So far as soon as it starts acting a bit glitchy I save and close/reopen PSE and I’m good again.

Scrappy Instagram

Old 01-06-2018, 07:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
It might be that your processor is slow. I kept telling my son (beginning techy) that I needed more RAM, but he found that it was my processor and graphics card.
Interesting, both those things I can’t change without a new laptop. It does make sense cause my issues were mor graphics related than speed related. Think for now I’m just going to keep a close eye on it and see if it’s a one off event or happening more often.

Scrappy Instagram

Old 01-07-2018, 12:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly now that I’ve done 2 layouts since my PSE issues happened with no problems I’m leaning towards a psd file getting corrupted while I was working rather than a hardware problem like I first thought.

Scrappy Instagram