Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 08-12-2019, 12:17 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs up When you buy a kit...

Hi All - just a couple of questions about kit use:

1. Do you also save the zipped files?
2. Do you typically use each kit to make just one page, or multiple uses?
3. Do you remove kits from your 'database' once they've been used as many times as preferred?
4. How do you handle kits that are retired/from retired designers?

Thank you for taking the time to answer!
Old 08-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I never keep the zip files

I use each kit multiple times. I never used to but now I do, some I’ve used 3 or 4 times.

I never delete kits. Like never ever

If a designer retires I put (retired) next to their name so I know I can’t upload to the sad gallery anymore. If an active designer retires a kit I just leave it in their folder because I can still upload any pages to the gallery.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

nope, they get deleted right away, once i make sure everything came out of it properly.

If I have purchased the kit, that means I really like it, and then it gets used multiple times. It always at least makes two pages, because I prefer my facing pages to be made out of the same kit so they match haha

3. Do you remove kits from your 'database' once they've been used as many times as preferred?
I only delete kits when I know they no longer fit my style and I won't ever use them again. It's never about how many pages it's made, it's all about how it fits with my style. I've got kits from KCB that have made many many pages, but still sit in my folder because I can still see myself using them.

4. How do you handle kits that are retired/from retired designers? I still keep and use them. I may not post them here, but I still use the kits.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I never keep the zip files.

I've used kits mult. times if it works well with pictures that needed to be scrapped.

I'll only delete kits if I feel the style is no longer something that I see myself scrapping with anymore.

If the designer has retired, I move them off my usual EHD onto a different EHD that isn't plugged in regularly. If they are still active in the store, I leave their retired kits with their active kits.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:03 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Ditto to everything said above. I have kits from years ago ... I guess I should get rid of some of them, but you never know!
www.gallerystandouts.com
Old 08-12-2019, 02:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. I do not save the zip files.

2. I will usually use the kit at least once, but there are some I turn to again and again.

3. I remove kits/products when I no longer feel like they fit my style or will be used. Even if I've never used them.

4. If I will use a product, I keep it whether it's retired or the designer is retired. I have things that are old, but the product still does what I need it to do.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you also save the zipped files? I used to save the zips, but I never ever had a time where I went back for them, so in my most recent attempt at organizing and making space I deleted all my zips.
2. Do you typically use each kit to make just one page, or multiple uses? I purchase kits that I know I can get multiple uses out of just to make this hobby cost efficient (I will purchase themes on rare occasions if they are the perfect fit for a set of photos I have).
3. Do you remove kits from your 'database' once they've been used as many times as preferred? Nope. I have never deleted a kit. I do however, more kits to a folder maked 'old' when they are waaaaay outdated to help keep my folders look not so over whelming.
4. How do you handle kits that are retired/from retired designers? A retired kit I will keep in my main folder with its designer, if the designer retires, I first move any collabs to a folder of a designer that is still on staff, then all the solos I move to a folder for Retired Designers. Again, I have the kits for a reason, so I keep them knowing I will still use them, I just remove them from my main folder so I don't have to sift through them when working on challenges.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't even have zip files with a Mac, so don 't save them. I do use kits multiple times. I have some I know I'll never use again because they just don't appeal to me anymore, I should get rid of them but haven't yet! I have files of kits that are not SSD designers or that are retired. I try to keep them separate because I've used kits be designers that have left and then forgot and couldn't use them for a challenge!
Old 08-12-2019, 02:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I used to save my zip files, but I don't do that anymore. It just takes too much space.

I use kits over and over again. Same goes for templates. I also never delete them.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:11 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you also save the zipped files? Nope
2. Do you typically use each kit to make just one page, or multiple uses? Typically I would use it multiple times
3. Do you remove kits from your 'database' once they've been used as many times as preferred? I don't. I keep most everything unless the style isn't something I would use and/or was something I didn't pay for (freebie)
4. How do you handle kits that are retired/from retired designers? Retired designers I move to a non-SSD folder. Retired kits I still keep with the designer folder (I have a lot of old ones).
Old 08-12-2019, 03:29 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Nope. Saving them never seemed worth it IMO. I don't save my LOs' TIFFs either. But after Rae's issue, part of me wonders if I should save zips *and* TIFFs?
Gosh, sometimes I feel lucky to use a kit once! But some kits I use multiple times. I guess it just depends, but "once" is probably my average, and then "many times" for a select few kits that seem to have some items I consistently need.
I remove kits that no longer speak to me. Recently I went through my EHDs and I got rid of basically anything pre-2008. Also, my most recent EHD doesn't have much pre-2014 DS stuff. I figure that stuff is on 4 other EHDs...it doesn't need to be added to this new EHD, ya know?
I don't do anything to them; I scrap with them but I don't post them in galleries--or if it is a page I want to post online, I try to remember to add "(retired)" to the description in the gallery.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had been saving a few years back of zip files because when I was new, I found that I wasn't unzipping everything. Now I keep the current year's zips (honestly, it's really unnecessary, and I should just delete them! LOL!)

I don't consciously use/not use a kit more than once. I usually at least use a kit once, and then if it's something I love, I will use it again. I do enjoy mixing kits, so I may use a kit several times in that way.

I don't remove kits from SSD designers, I have deleted freebies and really old kits from designers outside SSD.

This is a snapshot of my files.

The top files with the underscore are the ones I use the most. I rename kits after I DL them, but with my broken wrist, I haven't been able to keep that up (hence, the "kits to rename & use first" and "ready to move" files. Those will be deleted as soon as I feel I can spend the time on the computer to get them done.
Inside the "SSD" file are files for each designer. If a designer retires, their file is moved to the general population (outside the SSD file).
Old 08-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you also save the zipped files? No. I used to but many became corrupt after a while of having them stored. I stopped doing that years and years ago. Maybe zip files are more stable now, not sure.

2. Do you typically use each kit to make just one page, or multiple uses? As many as possible. I rarely buy a kit that I will use for only one layout. I feel like that is not only a waste of my money, but a waste of the designers' talent. It takes more than one page to really show off a kit and use all the beautiful papers and elements in it.

3. Do you remove kits from your 'database' once they've been used as many times as preferred? No. I don't remove a kit unless I decide down the road that it no longer fits my style or that I just won't use it ever again. When I did CT work I removed kits from my CT folder after I used them the required number of times, but then I just moved them to the general rotation of my files.

4. How do you handle kits that are retired/from retired designers? The only reason I even distinguish this at all is for challenges here. What I do is put a '~' symbol in front of the name of the folder for kits that are current and good to use in challenges. I go through every so often and if a designer has left, I get rid of the symbol in of the file name. Retired kits I treat a little differently since (last I knew anyway, I haven't scrapped much this year) we can use those for challenges still. I add a second ~ in front of the file name if the kit is retired. It is a lot to keep track of though so I know my files are not perfectly up to date. I just try my best and sometimes search the store to check before posting for a challenge.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I don't even have zip files with a Mac, so don 't save them. I do use kits multiple times. I have some I know I'll never use again because they just don't appeal to me anymore, I should get rid of them but haven't yet! I have files of kits that are not SSD designers or that are retired. I try to keep them separate because I've used kits be designers that have left and then forgot and couldn't use them for a challenge!
Can you elaborate? How do you not have zip files? I only use Windows at home but at work I use Mac. I download files at work and they are zipped. I have to extract them but the zip file remains and I end up deleting it. Is there a program that you use that gets rid of the zip files?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlmurrell View Post

VERY good questions!!! I'm going to be nosy and see what everyone else answers!!!

Used to, but stopped doing that with our recent move. I have too many hard drives and not enough space to keep all the zips on my computer. I don't want to invest in any more money on a hard drive JUST to hoard my zips--especially since Robin is so wonderful and our download links never expire here!

If I'm buying it, I need it to make more than one layout to justify the cost. Most of the time I reuse my kits more than two times or I combine them on layouts when I learn what's inside each of the kits.

No!!
I haven't deleted a product since before my son was born. When designers retire, I move them to a special folder. Then about a year later, I go through and delete some of the stuff I know I'll never use--with the exception of Amber Shaw or any designer who has passed, because I can never replace them or their memory.

I kind of touched this above, I move them to a special folder. If I don't have much from them, I'll break apart their kits in to special folders like "Disney", "Lego", "Travel" where I can go grab that specific theme. But if they have a lot of products, I put them in the "individual designer" folder. Most of what I have is broken down in to the specific themed folders. In all of my years of scrapping, I only have 19 individual designer's folders, most of which are retired SSD designers.

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 08-12-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you also save the zipped files? No, but I know they would be useful if something corrupted the other format.
2. Do you typically use each kit to make just one page, or multiple uses? Usually it's just one, but sometimes I will re-use.
3. Do you remove kits from your 'database' once they've been used as many times as preferred? Nope!
4. How do you handle kits that are retired/from retired designers? Everything is tagged by designer / store, so I don't have to do anything in this situation.

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 08-12-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you also save the zipped files? Nope!

2. Do you typically use each kit to make just one page, or multiple uses? Depends on the kit, but most of them multiple times

3. Do you remove kits from your 'database' once they've been used as many times as preferred? I don't remove kits if it still fits my style. I don't have a "preferred" use limit. HOWEVER, if I know it doesn't fit my style, or I won't ever scrap with it again, then I will delete. I'm all about the purge!!!

Retired designers go into a misc. designer folder since I can't use them for challenges.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:06 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I save all of my zip files on a separate hard drive. I've had too many crashes where I have lost everything, to not keep them. I have thousands of zips - my own products from when I was designing, cu products, templates and collections (templates and collections are mainly from here though).

I don't keep track of what I've used and what I haven't used. Some things I've used heaps of times, others I haven't used at all. If I like it, I buy it, and I know I'll get around to using it one day when I have the right photos to go with it.

I never remove kits once they've been used.

I have an SSD folder, then inside that each designer has their own folder. Then inside the designer folders are all the current kits and another folder named ZZZ_OLD where I move all the retired products to (sometimes - I don't always remember to do this lol)
Old 08-13-2019, 02:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Do you also save the zipped files? Before, but then it takes a lot of spaces on my ehd so I just delete them.

Do you typically use each kit to make just one page, or multiple uses? sometimes just a page, sometimes I use some elements (flowers, foliages, ribbons, ppapers) to use with another kit. Then there are times that I see myself using a kit over and over. But when a kit has card (bundle or with the elements), I save them in db so I could use them in project life.

Do you remove kits from your 'database' once they've been used as many times as preferred? no.

How do you handle kits that are retired/from retired designers? I'm cool with it since I make photobooks, I know that I could/would still use their kits. They're still in my kit folders for future use.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:15 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thank you all for taking the time to answer! I am finally getting organized to a point to where I am no longer overwhelmed and can let the creative juices flow!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:23 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No - I don't save my zips - once it's unzipped, I delete them.

I typically only use a kit once unless I really it and see myself using it more than once.

I usually take out themed items or other things that I like, organize them into folders on topic and then delete the rest of the kit.

I haven't done anything special with retired kits/designers... but I do have to double check to see if it's still in the store before scrapping... haha.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nope. I unzip ASAP and then delete, delete, delete.

2. Do you typically use each kit to make just one page or multiple uses?
Just once, usually, although there are always exceptions like a very themed kit. I delete every template once I've used it once.

I use a kit once, and I delete the kit afterwards about 80% of the time.

I move that designer's folder into a "Retired" kit on my EHD. I don't really need to do that (and sometimes have to move it back when a designer "un-retires") but it just makes me feel better.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I never used to but after all the drama of lost kits and computer woes this month I will never delete another zipped file again. They are all going into dropbox for safekeeping so hopefully I never go thru this latest disaster again.

I may not use a kit for months but eventually it will catch my eye and I'll go back to it, so multiple uses for all of them, just not always consistently time-wise. I tend to mix kits and designers so although I have my fave designers/kits, I mix them with other b/c I do love them all.

I've purged a few times over the years but not in the past 3-4 yrs. I just love them all so much I can't get rid of them.

I tend to mix new and old kits together in my LO's and although mostly current designers, I will sometimes throw in something from a retired designer.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:51 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlmurrell View Post

1.) i download everything, unzip it, get rid of any bloat files, then compress it again and send it to my server. (I have a QNAP bay and its super worth it for all of your digital storage!)

2.) I try to use every kit I buy as much as possible. It's not always possible because sometimes i buy things that are super pretty but don't necessarily fit my family's lifestyle. My fav designer (flergs) has a real talent for making all of her past and present kits work with color schemes so I can use hers and mix and match to my hearts content.

3.) i don't remove kits no matter how many times i use them. after i've used them, or admired their artistry, i put them onto a more official archive on my server. i view them as my baseball card or stamp collection. i want to keep them. 5 years from now, i wanna look at them and remember how happy and excited i was to buy them and hopefully use them.

4.) for retired designers, i move their art into my retired artist folders. if an active designer has retired kits but has no intention of retiring themselves, i create a retire folder within the master designer folder i've created for them. if i dont use a kit within 6 months, i move it to a folder in my master retire folder for them and move it there so i can still cherish it lol

i try not to completely delete anything. if i have to, i look at the oldest kits i've bought, look to see if it's one of my absolute favorite designers and how much old work has held up to more modern print resolutions before i delete. such a hard decision though that i try not to have to make lol
Old 08-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

1. Do you also save the zipped files? No - I make sure I got everything out of them and throw them away
2. Do you typically use each kit to make just one page, or multiple uses? I try and get at least two pages out of a kit, but three or four would be ideal
3. Do you remove kits from your 'database' once they've been used as many times as preferred? NEVER!
4. How do you handle kits that are retired/from retired designers? Keep them, scrap with them, but don't upload pages with them
Old 08-14-2019, 03:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes I do...mostly because I just never really get around to going back & deleting them But they have definitely come in handy a time or two
I don't have any "rules" about this... some kits I gravitate to more than others & use many, many times. Others, maybe once or twice.
3. Do you remove kits from your 'database' once they've been used as many times as preferred? Nope! (I did delete tons of "freebies" a long while back...but quality kits are keepers no matter what!
My kits are in folders by designer. I put a 0 in front of all of the non-retired designers so their stuff stays on top. I also do the same thing in my kit previews folders (I copy the previews & put them in folders like "everyday", "winter", "travel" etc.) Then when I am scrolling through, if I'm doing something that I want to count for a Passport stamp, etc. I stop scrolling when I hit the previews that don't have a 0 in front of them. When a designer retires, I just delete the 0 from the file name.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:25 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

nope. Kits are saved in two locations, on my EHD attached to the desktop and on my Laptop.

I have kits that have made dozens of pages with (especially Disney-ish ones) and a few I have not used just yet.

NO! Once about 2-3 years ago I did go thru and delete a bunch of freebies from when I started digiscrapping in like 2009

Ummmm good question..... gonna have to do what someone else above does cause I really only delete the store name off the folder when a designer retires.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 08-27-2019, 11:38 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

- Nope. I delete them

- Depends on the kit. Some kits I save and use multiple times, others I only use for a specific reason. BUT I'm a kit hoarder so I more than likely still keep the kit.

- Yes and no. I either delete them after I've used them or when I feel like the kit no longer fits my style or needs.

- Depends on the designer and kit. Duos or Trios I normally keep if the other designers are still active. If the designer retires and no longer fits my needs I delete them. Some retired designers I just cant seem to part with certain kits so I keep them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk