Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 10-18-2010, 01:02 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default 2011 Calendar Printing

In the past I've printed at Shutterfly because with their October promotion, I paid half price on 8 of the 9 calendars I order each year. They don't seem to be running it this year, and before I spend $20/calendar I want to look at my options.

I've spent all night searching forums and didn't come up with much. I saw mixed reviews about Artscow's calendars and positive reviews about Shutterfly's, very little about other sites. Anyone used Mpix or MPT? Someplace else? For $20 I think I'd prefer to use the nice bottoms, but I'd go with a standard white grid for a good price. Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've used Mpix. & their big sisters'

Can't say enough good about them & customer service is wonderful as well.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I used MPT last year and was pretty happy with how it turned out. I had ordered a photo book from them a long time ago and wasn't that impressed, but the calendar turned out great. The paper was nice and thick and I couldn't see any problems with the printing. I also liked that you can upload your own calendar bottoms instead of just using the plain white grids.

I was hoping they would have another calendar sale like last year, since I remember getting them pretty cheap. (I just looked up their ad from last year, and their 8.5x11 calendars were priced at $12 from Oct 1 - Nov 30). I just checked their site and their usual price for a 8.5x11 calendar is now $26, and I don't see anything other than their usual 15% off.

I liked their calendar and wouldn't have any issues with ordering from them again, but at that price, I'll probably look around at other options too.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had free codes for calendars on Artscow, and my daughter was home sick with strep Thursday, so I spent the whole day getting my calendars ready. Uploaded them, entered my code and discovered the codes didn't include free shipping.... which was $30. No thanks. Artscow is generally cheap, but they're not fast and the quality isn't always the best. Honestly, I'd rather have a store calendar than spend $30 for 3 calendars. I make them mostly for my in-laws, who get disappointed if they don't get one every year, but I'm sort of done.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I did mine at Office Depot last year. It was less than $20 and I was able to use my own calendar bottoms and the quality was good. They also put clear plastic covers on the front and back for protection. I just put my pages on a thumb drive, took them up there, and 2 days later I had my calendars. No shipping either, lol.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by apphotos View Post
I've used Mpix. & their big sisters'

Can't say enough good about them & customer service is wonderful as well.
Ditto! I used Artscow to save some money but the quality difference was huge!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have an Arts Cow calendar at my desk at work and you know what? Every day I look at it and ask myself why I didn't just pay for the Shutterfly calendar for myself because the colors suck. I used the same files I used for Shutterfly but the quality just isn't the same. I don't care about the white bottoms (I barely have time to make the tops) so I'll be either sucking it up and paying for Shutterfly this year or trying one of the other sites. So...more input would be great on this thread!!!

Who has easy to use loading software? Who doesn't have the white boarder around the top picture? Who has cheap shipping or no shipping?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I like to print my own calendars on my wide-format printer because I want 12x12 calendars and I don't know anyone who prints them at a reasonable price and good quality.

I know, that probably wasn't helpful for you, though.

Good luck!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Vistaprint has a deal right now where you can get 1 calendar for free, and just pay shipping.. I chose the slowest shipping method and paid around $6 and got my calendar a week later, when they say 21 days.

However... it's very thin paper, pretty flimsy and i'm not super thrilled with it. It's fine.. the colors are great.. I just wish it was on thicker paper.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Swann View Post
I like to print my own calendars on my wide-format printer because I want 12x12 calendars and I don't know anyone who prints them at a reasonable price and good quality.

I know, that probably wasn't helpful for you, though.

Good luck!
Snapfish has a sale on 12x12 calendars right now but I don't know if you can do a full bleed image w/ them.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DO NOT USE ARTSCOW.

I wanted to cry when my calendars arrived last year. The quality was HORRIBLE but it was too late to have them re-printed though. And I print my pages all the time so I know exactly how to save print-quality files in case anyone is wondering!

I'm on the lookout for a new print site too, but I haven't even STARTED my calendars yet! Gotta get going!!

beckie_scraps on IG!

Last edited by g8rbeckie; 10-18-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've thought of doing calendars but can never stomach the price. I do love Mpix prints though, if their calendars are like their prints they are much worth the price! (and customer service is excellent!)
Old 10-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rbeckie View Post
DO NOT USE ARTSCOW.

I wanted to cry when my calendars arrived last year. The quality was HORRIBLE but it was too late to have them re-printed though. And I print my pages all the time so I know exactly how to save print-quality files in case anyone is wondering!

I'm on the lookout for a new print site too, but I haven't even STARTED my calendars yet! Gotta get going!!
I'm so with you! I didn't want to cry when my Artscow printed calendars arrived last year. I CRIED. They cut them by 1 cm at each side - their bleed area instructions were anything but clear. Everybody love the calendars, but OMG they even cut TEXT. It's clear they just put it in a machine and never looked at it. And they printed their barcode OVER my text. Thank you, never again. This year I'm printing with a non-online service in my home country, a regular graphics studio / print / copy shop, they're more expensive but hopefully they're professional.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If it helps anyone - here is the free shipping My Pics tails coupon - Freeship1110 - good till Nov 30th

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 10-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I actually don't mind my Artscow ones for the price. I am thinking about trying somewhere different this year just to see the difference in quality...
Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have done Artscow every year, I do all my printing with Artscow (I have printed Shutterfly, but don't feel the quality is worth the big difference in price). I have only once had an quality issues and that was the very first thing I printed with them years ago and all that was funny was that people who were naturally red, turned out really red. Otherwise, never had an issue. I have an Artscow calender in my home right now, it looks great. Just got a 43 page book, it looks great.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I just saw on My Pic Tales' Facebook page that their calendars are 40% off until October 31st (with code CALSALE10), which makes an 8.5x11 inch (with center fold) $15.60. Now I just have to hurry and get them done.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I used MPT last year and my calendars were amazing. I love looking at it Easy to use and printed well.

They are all 40% off until the end of the month!

Erika

Walking Along - my blog.
Happily creating for Polly & Rufus and TwoLittlePixels.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the advice, everyone. With that coupon code (Yeah! Thanks for sharing!), I think I'll try MPT this year. I was leaning toward Mpix, but since I have to print 9 I'd love to get them for $15 instead of $20. Now to get moving on them so I can finish in time...
Old 10-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I ordered through Artscow for calendars last year, and my biggest problem was just that I didn't allow enough TIME...it took FOREVER to get them! But I've never ordered anywhere else, so I guess I didn't notice a quality issue. However, I did like the thick, sturdy paper they printed on - can anyone tell me if any of these other companies print on thick, sturdy non-photo paper?

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 10-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
However, I did like the thick, sturdy paper they printed on - can anyone tell me if any of these other companies print on thick, sturdy non-photo paper?
Shutterfly uses nice, thick paper.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sold on MPT - the 40% combined with the free shipping - Thats a done deal!!!

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 10-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
However, I did like the thick, sturdy paper they printed on - can anyone tell me if any of these other companies print on thick, sturdy non-photo paper?
Sara, the MyPicTales paper is thick and sturdy too.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I went to MPT and I don't see a coupon for 40% off... or free shipping. Where can I find this?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenifer View Post
I went to MPT and I don't see a coupon for 40% off... or free shipping. Where can I find this?
the codes are in this thread I believe - just read through the posts

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 10-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I print my own ... maybe you need a wide format printer & a new camera ... and read the thread posted about the discounts??
Old 10-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to check out MTP for printing my calendars, but I can't seem to get past the home page. I keep getting an error. Does anyone know if their site is down or something?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:16 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I just ordered mine and didn't have any issues, but a week or so ago I kept having issues with the calendar page just freezing. It finally just worked, but was a little weird.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I normally use the MSN browser, but MPT only works when I switch to Internet Explorer. Does switching browsers make a difference?
Old 10-31-2010, 12:20 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Past years have found me running around last minute - and ending up at Shutterfly - nice quality, but ugh, on pricing and no options on the bottoms!

However, last year I was sooo late, I took some to Kinkos - now FedEx Kinkos - less than half the cost, same quality, bound with clear cover, no shipping. Took in a thumb drive, and 2 hrs. later - calendars. Wow. Note - this is not using their "calendar" offering, but their "presentation" offering - if you are providing them with the top and bottom of the calendar.

Those of you in the US - I'd recommend y'all look into your local FedEx Kinkos - I know each run their own specials, and IMO it's worth a look.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Vistaprint has a great deal going right now: http://www.vistaprint.com/photo-cale...ngdetails&rd=2

5 calendars for $35.99 and free shipping on orders over $30. The only negative I can see is that you can only use a topper and can't customize the bottom.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

thanks so much for all your advice!!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am gearing up to do my calendars in the next 2 weekends - any deals going on?

I have used MPT the past 3 years & last year they screwed up on the printing and I did not have anything for Christmas with all the CS and back and forth emails & shipping. I was upset.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Wink

Has anyone printed with FedEx Office (Kinkos)? I haven't used the before, but wanted to pass on a coupon code for 35% off on Calendars and Personalized Holiday Cards.

Code: 101002
Old 11-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I only ever give CD calendars as gifts so I'll share where I get mine printed. I know a lot of people that are giving these print them, themsleves but I never like them my my printer. So for the last 3 years I have use PE Photo for mine. I slap them on a white 5x5 background and then just trim them. I get 5x5 prints for .24 cents from them!!! Scrapbook Pictures charges .59 cents for 5x5!!!

Here is their Pricing: http://www.pephoto.com/peroes_pricing.php

Here is their shipping: http://www.pephoto.com/peroes_shipping.php

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 11-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sczos911 View Post
I am gearing up to do my calendars in the next 2 weekends - any deals going on?

I have used MPT the past 3 years & last year they screwed up on the printing and I did not have anything for Christmas with all the CS and back and forth emails & shipping. I was upset.
Yes. This. I'm trying somewhere new this year; I just haven't decided where yet.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dreamer View Post
Has anyone printed with FedEx Office (Kinkos)? I haven't used the before, but wanted to pass on a coupon code for 35% off on Calendars and Personalized Holiday Cards.

Code: 101002
Yes! IMO - same as shutterfly, but different binding. Note - I used their "presentation" offering, not calendars, because I could print tops and bottoms of the calendars that way - and much more cheaply. Will be using the same shop this year.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ok... so I'm just now starting mine and I think I may try the Fed/Kinkos or Office Depot route now too. I loved my shutterfly ones, but they were a little $ for 4, my artscow ones were about half good, and half wacked out colors, so I'm ready to try something new. I usually print my books through viovio, but I've not tried their calendars...never printed anywhere else...

Any one else with recs or warnings? Thanks!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!

Last edited by schock77; 11-13-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

If anyone is still waiting to print, procrastinating just paid off for me, LOL. Shutterfly is now running its buy 1, get all additional copies for 50% off (so $22 for the first, $11 for the rest). You'll have to be quick, though, because it ends 11/17. You can also use the code SHIP30 for free shipping on any order over $30.

I've always been very happy with my Shutterfly calendars, but I almost went with someone else because I have to print 9 copies and I thought they weren't running this one this year. I'm glad I waited, because MPT's software was frustrating me to no end. You can't do custom bottoms at SF, but for $11 I'm fine with that.

If you've got the colors the way you want them, just make sure to check the box to turn color correction off. To do this, go to the Edit tab, add your picture to the appropriate month, double click on it, and then click the Effects tab. There's a box to check if you want to turn color correction off. You have to do each picture separately.

Last edited by rach3975; 11-16-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I just got mine from MyPicTales...they are awesome! I only ordered them last week, and I got them already, and I live in hickville, Canada LOL!

ETA that I never had a problem with them, the two years I used them. I also used Vista Print one year, but I couldn't customize the bottoms.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I might go the VistaPrint way this year since I need to do a couple of different customized ones (instead of several copies of the same one)...
Old 11-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just got 11 customized calendars at Vista Print for $95.90 (less than $9 each)! I signed up under my hubby's name for 50% off new customer promo, and free shipping on orders more than $25!

I did three separate designs (customized for different families), and there is a $2.49 upload fee per design.

You can't customize the bottoms, but can add custom dates... for that price, that's good enough for me!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieB View Post
Those of you in the US - I'd recommend y'all look into your local FedEx Kinkos - I know each run their own specials, and IMO it's worth a look.
I just called them at it was going to be $35 a calendar to do them this way.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
I just called them at it was going to be $35 a calendar to do them this way.
Mari - I'm sorry! With presentation binding - not "calendar" - at mine it's ~$5/calendar sorry everyone's not on the same page!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasweetness View Post
I just got 11 customized calendars at Vista Print for $95.90 (less than $9 each)! I signed up under my hubby's name for 50% off new customer promo, and free shipping on orders more than $25!

I did three separate designs (customized for different families), and there is a $2.49 upload fee per design.

You can't customize the bottoms, but can add custom dates... for that price, that's good enough for me!
How did you get free shipping? Its trying to charge me for shipping right now.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
How did you get free shipping? Its trying to charge me for shipping right now.
It said that there was free shipping on all orders over $25... the discount doesn't apply until checkout, tho.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvasweetness View Post
It said that there was free shipping on all orders over $25... the discount doesn't apply until checkout, tho.
I dont get the free shipping at all, tried to call them and they told me they don't give free shipping for less than $50. Gosh, ordering my calendars this year has been a nightmare.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Okay, I'm going to try MPT this year. I see mixed reviews on every place, so I'm going to send one there, and see what happens, before I order the other 4 I need. Fingers crossed. Watch, the first one will go smoothly and the next order will get messed up. LOL. I just really love putting in my own grid, so my choices are limited. I got a 25% off 1 order for signing up for MPT, so I'll use it when I order my other calendars. I'm beginning to wish I hadn't started doing calendars for the family.

ETA - Mpix and MPT use the same software now, so I guess the end product would be similar. With discounts (MPT has 15 and 25 percent off deals on their home page right now), MPT will be cheaper, even though shipping is a bit more.

Last edited by clbenik; 11-18-2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned Lulu.com yet, so I'll chime in just in case someone is still looking...

I've done a handful of calendars there and the quality was excellent. The bottom is your basic grid, but it's tough to beat the price ... right now they start at $12.49 for a 11x8.5 (11x17 open) and if you get 5 or more, it drops to $9.99 each.

They run a lot of special deals also... right now you can save 25% on 1-9 calendars (coupon code: FLURRY305, max savings $50) or 30% on 10 or more (code: BLIZZARD305, max savings $100) through Nov. 30th. So that means you end up paying less than $10 each regardless of quantity and shipping is fairly reasonable too.

I currently use Lulu for all of my Log Your Memory print books, so I've done a fair amount of business with them. Their customer service isn't always the greatest, but overall I've been fairly happy with them.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Just ordered my calendars from viovio (I used Cindy and Dani's toppers and bottoms- LOVE) Anyway ordered 5 of them with super saver shipping (2-3 weeks) came to $70... we'll see if they are as nice as the photobooks. You have to set it up as a "landscape book" and then when you check out you can pick wire-o calendar binding.

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!