Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-22-2016, 11:51 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default invisalign braces?

Has anyone here had these instead of the regular braces?
Old 02-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Ooh, good question!
And I am actually getting braces for the second time in my life, in a couple weeks. My bite has gone wonkey and "back in the day" they told us we didn't need to wear our retainer forever. So, my teeth moved and now I am going back into a metal mouth. :/
My orthodontist does Invisalign, and I asked about it. But because we need to pull my teeth back "together" and fix my bite with rubber bands and such, Invisalign would not be the best fix for me. Because the plastic retainer part is between my teeth, it doesn't pull the teeth together.
Is that as clear as mud?
But, I know others have had excellent results with them. Especially if they just need a straightening.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was going to get this done - but then we decided to get pregnant lol

They add little notches to a few of your teeth so the trays stay in place. Once you've used all your trays, you'll go in and get the notches removed. They mail you all the trays and the schedule to follow. Sounds super easy!

Old 02-22-2016, 02:49 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yea I def need to do something - the dentist suggested invisalign but I just don't know. I like the fact that you can't see a metal mouth.. but looking into it more wow it sounds SO painful and a lot of people struggle with it (i have read up and so many mention that you really are in pain for a lot of the time and you can end up with mouth sores) People seem to lose weight on them too.. you have to clean the trays/brush every single time you have something to eat. I had braces when I was 11/12 but my teeth have continued to move.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:52 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I've just had normal braces but I have friends who have used Invisalign. Yep, you'll probably lose weight while wearing them. You're supposed to remove the aligners/trays before eating, as they are easy to damage. Most of the time my friends couldn't be bothered doing it (especially if they were out and about), so they'd just skip snacking. Ditto with drinking - they could only drink water with the aligners in, so they'd skip drinking everything else as it wasn't worth the effort of removing the aligners. There's definitely more upkeep than braces and my friends would often complain about 'invisalign breath'. In the end, a couple of my friends preferred Invisalign while a couple preferred regular braces - it definitely depended on their lifestyles/mindframes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamBig View Post
My bite has gone wonkey and "back in the day" they told us we didn't need to wear our retainer forever. So, my teeth moved and now I am going back into a metal mouth. :/
That's what they told me too. Thankfully I had a permanent retainer put on my top teeth (a long piece of metal glued to the back of my top teeth), but I'm crossing all of my fingers that my bottom teeth don't start moving eventually, as I no longer have my retainer.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The key with Invisalign is to actually wear them. Like said above, they send you all of the appliances at once and you follow a schedule. You have to be dedicated which is hard. When you're in pain, you can take them out. Most do. So most adults I know have gotten the ceramic brackets and clear bands so you only see a little metal from the wire. Then it's not as long and not as expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

According to my dentist it's the same price no matter which method - but I didn't see a orthodontist so maybe they were just telling me that so I would go thru them. I still hope to someday get a nice straight smile!

Old 02-22-2016, 08:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post
According to my dentist it's the same price no matter which method - but I didn't see a orthodontist so maybe they were just telling me that so I would go thru them. I still hope to someday get a nice straight smile!

That's nice! The handful of orthodontists we referred to all had Invisalign as more expensive.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:26 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Are ceramic braces and clear bands a lot pricier usually

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2016, 08:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Are ceramic braces and clear bands a lot pricier usually

In our area they're cheaper than Invisalign so that's why most adults do that. And they can make more changes at once so the patient wears them for less time. They're more expensive than the metal brackets so kids don't usually get them.

This is our area though and that could easily change depending on where you live.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

thanks britanee!! I'll have to go in and ask. When I went in the last time he said it would have been approx the same cost for either metal braces or invisalign.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was actually going in on my birthday to have this done....and then the flu hit! My appointment is on Monday the 29th!!!!! I am super excited!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:22 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

ooh please let me know how it goes!
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I will add that Invisalign is cheaper than it was for my DS to get braces 14 years ago...about thousand dollars cheaper. It is going to cost about $4500 for Invisalign, with my out of pocket being about $2750. My dentist has been trying to get my to this for years and we just weren't in a place financially to have it done. Well, I have ONE tooth has almost turned 45+ degrees and it's affecting my bite so it's time.
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
ooh please let me know how it goes!
I will! I am super excited about finally doing this! I was so bummed when I had to cancel twice last week because of the darn flu!
Old 02-22-2016, 10:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

that does suck ALTHOUGH! Better to have dealt with the flu beforehand rather than after when your mouth would have been sore?? :O
Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm totally jealous of those where it's the same cost!

Old 02-22-2016, 10:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

And Kim, that's so exciting!!

Old 02-22-2016, 10:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Stupid question here... What makes teeth move as an adult? Or does it only happen if you had braces as a teen first?

Old 02-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
Stupid question here... What makes teeth move as an adult? Or does it only happen if you had braces as a teen first?

So we were taught it's because your jaw keeps growing but it's also from your bite. If you have a tooth taken out, your teeth can shift and your bite will change. Same goes for getting a cavity filled and if your bite is slightly off, it can affect teeth movement.

I'm sure there's other reasons but that's what I remember from school and working.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I had 4 teeth pulled before I had braces as a child and now i have the BIGGEST gaps where those teeth would have been. It's really frustrating and it's gotten to be uncomfortable. I so don't want to have braces but I figure it's probably better to get the problem sorted now vs when i'm older. My dad wants to get work done on his teeth but YOWZERS the cost involved would be insane!
Old 02-23-2016, 12:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to look into braces and invisalign. We have put 3 kids through braces and one declined them. But I feel so guilty spending the money on me! I never had braces as a kid. My teeth aren't awful, but they embarrass me and I'd love to fix them! So glad to hear others' experiences!
Old 02-23-2016, 12:51 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
It can happen if you have braces as an adult too, unfortunately. I had braces in my 20s and I had a permanent retainer put on afterward because they were worried a couple of particular teeth would want to move back to their "natural" positions. But I had pretty extreme work done, including removing half of the roof of my mouth to get to a tooth which was lying horizontally up there. I also had another tooth at a 90 degree angle. So some of my top teeth are currently eally- far from their original positions, which I've been told makes them very prone to movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icindi View Post
I wanted to look into braces and invisalign. We have put 3 kids through braces and one declined them. But I feel so guilty spending the money on me! I never had braces as a kid. My teeth aren't awful, but they embarrass me and I'd love to fix them! So glad to hear others' experiences!
That's really awesome that you gave your boys the choice. My parents did the same for me and it made me so much more comfortable getting them at a time of my choosing when I was older.
Old 02-23-2016, 12:58 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have braces now myself. I couldn't use invisalign or even the clear braces for what I needed myself. Luckily, I only needed the bottom and you can't really see them anyway.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagan43 View Post
I have braces now myself. I couldn't use invisalign or even the clear braces for what I needed myself. Luckily, I only needed the bottom and you can't really see them anyway.
Mine is on the bottom too, which is why I have never done anything until now. I never had braces as a child...my top teeth are perfectly straight....it's just that one darn tooth!
Old 02-23-2016, 01:36 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

When my oldest son was getting braces, they told us the cost was the same for metal or invisalign. I didn't feel Jacob had the determination to keep with invisalign, so we went metal. He is allergic to nickle, so had to get full titanium braces. (ugh, those weren't the same cost!) After he was done with braces, he got an invisalign retainer... which he refused to wear. He hated the feel of the plastic. Now 7 years later his teeth are back to needing braces. :/

Logan is needing braces now, and not just for the straightening, but for his thumb-sucker overbite. I am going to insist on metal for him. I just don't want to pay all that money again and it go to waste like it did for my oldest.

Anyway, it's awesome you are thinking of doing this for yourself!
Old 02-23-2016, 03:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Let me tell you about my experience with BRACES (those original, metal ones, not the invisibles), I have no experience with invisalign but they seem quite inconvenient and uncomfy.
So, my upper front teeth and jaw were too forward than the lower teeth and jaw.
When I was like 12 or 13 yo, my mom suggested I got braces. I was against it, we had long fights but at the end of the day I said ok.
We went to a very good orthodontist who I asked for invisible braces but she said no. The reason why? The invisible braces were pricier and NOT as good. She explained to me that as long as the looks are concerned - yes, the invisible braces were better but as long as the job they will do, we should go with the metal. I was deeply disappointed but obviously had no choice. They took out two of my teeth and then put the braces on my upper teeth.
I wore them for like...let's say a year and a half and they added braces to my lower teeth as well (because the upper had to go backwards and the lower - a bit forward).
So I wore the braces for like total of 3 years (I remember I was in 5th grade when I started with them and theeeen...8th grade when I removed them).
To be honest I didn't really like my metal-chained mouth (because I had braces everywhere lol) but now I have a STRAIGHT and beautiful smile and a perfect bite. Was it worth it? TOTALLY! I don't have anything in my mouth anymore (after they removed the braces, I wore some tiny elastic things for a very short time and that was it). I'm almost 32 now so that makes...16 or 17 years since I'm braceless and my teeth are perfect. They haven't moved to their original state...they haven't moved at all.
I clearly remember the orthodontist back then explained that the metal braces give the best and the most permanent results. Also, it depends on how long you wear them. Since I wore them enough long for my teeth to get fixed, I now have no problems. Because, you know, the teeth start to look great after a while but if you remove the braces sooner (like when you see your teeth are ok), then the teeth might move back to their *almost* original state. The thing with the braces is to be patient and try not to think about your looks so much. Back in the day those braces were like super new here and no one had seen such metal things but now they're popular and people won't even notice.
I had a high school teacher (she was like 36 yo back then with awfully crooked teeth) who put metal braces back then and her teeth went perfect in a few months. But she made a huge mistake by removing them sooner and her teeth moved back to a certain extend.
Another example is my cousin who got the invisible braces and wore them for a year and a half. Well, her teeth seemed fixed but they told her she should have some restrainers or whatever that was behind her teeth for the rest of her life!!! AAAnd, to be honest, her teeth moved again a bit. They're not nearly as perfect as mine are (sorry but that's the truth). And to start with - she had better teeth which required less fixing than mine.
So, Kristin and the others - it's GREAT that you want to make something good for your teeth and smile. I totally recommend you do it but before that - please make your research and consider the best option because those things cost A LOT of money and patience and the results should be worth it.

(sorry for the long post).
--
Mama to Albert

Last edited by anelia; 02-23-2016 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

my best friend just finished with invisalign. She has NOTHING but good things to say about it. Sure, it was painful when she changed the molds but, I'd imagine regular braces would be the same way

Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I had braces for 2 years and then a retainer for I'm not sure how long....sigh I don't know what to do. Braces the tightening is uncomfortable but only for a day when you go in.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

yes. she said it only really bothered her the first day or two after changing.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I can tell you about my experience with an adjustable holly hock retainer I just finished with...(the middle spreads out to spread out the roof of your mouth.)

We had to spread out the roof of my mouth, because I have terrible tongue thrust at night and I had pushed my upper and lower teeth forward, which caused the roof of my mouth to curve forward. Anyway, we put on an adjustable hollyhock for the last 6+ months. Here is my experience with all day retainers...
Yes, I lost weight because like others said, I didn't want to have to eat a snack, then brush my teeth and put my retainer in. It was a hassle. I stopped drinking all soda and juice , because of the same reason...
But after a few months, it was REALLY hard. I started leaving it out sometimes after a meal, because I thought I wanted a snack soon. Or I would want to sip on a lemonade. Then I would forget to put it back in. Then at night my teeth would hurt awful again, like after a tightening.
The retainer would smell bad if I didn't wash it with retainer cleaner every day. - BUT, it totally did the job. It straightened my top teeth pretty well, while spreading out the roof of my mouth. Honestly, I think the pain is the same whether you are doing it with a retainer or braces. I mean, you are moving teeth. It's gonna hurt. But not forever. I would just need to eat slower and smaller bites for the first 3 days. I didn't need pain killers.
My dentist said no matter how you do it, it takes about 6 months to straighten teeth, then another year for those teeth to settle. So, 18 months is VERY normal amount of time to move and straighten teeth. Longer if you have major issues.
If you go with invislign, make sure you wear the retainers for a year after to help those teeth settle.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:14 PM

profile gallery send pm

oh jumping back on this again, sorry Kristin. Does anyone have experience with braces and playing instruments? My oldest had a terrible time with his metal braces and playing the trumpet, so he dropped out of band. Now my youngest plays clarinet and I wonder if it will also cause him issues. Anyone know?
Old 02-24-2016, 12:04 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm pretty sure I still had my braces in 7th grade and that is when I started clarinet but I can't remember any issues!
Old 02-24-2016, 12:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
oh jumping back on this again, sorry Kristin. Does anyone have experience with braces and playing instruments? My oldest had a terrible time with his metal braces and playing the trumpet, so he dropped out of band. Now my youngest plays clarinet and I wonder if it will also cause him issues. Anyone know?
My little sister had braces and played the clarinet without issues. I can see how a trumpet might be different though.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What is retainer cleaner?! My son has a retainer and we were told we could use effordent once a week.
We only let my youngest son choose whether to have braces. He has a lot of medical issues,feeding tube and daily injections, so we decided that he has enough to deal with and if he didn't want braces we'd let him make the decision.
I will say braces were extremely painful (for us) for my son with autism. He bit off so many brackets. Sigh. But we survived!

Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
We only let my youngest son choose whether to have braces. He has a lot of medical issues,feeding tube and daily injections, so we decided that he has enough to deal with and if he didn't want braces we'd let him make the decision.
I remember talking about his medical condition last year via e-mail. Pain medication doesn't work on me due to my genetic condition, so I was always thankful that my Mum took that in to consideration and gave me the choice, especially as I had to go through really painful surgery when I had part of my mouth removed. It's awesome when Mums understand!
Old 02-24-2016, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiepangie View Post
I remember talking about his medical condition last year via e-mail. Pain medication doesn't work on me due to my genetic condition, so I was always thankful that my Mum took that in to consideration and gave me the choice, especially as I had to go through really painful surgery when I had part of my mouth removed. It's awesome when Mums understand!
And I remember talking about your medical struggles. OUCH! Yes, you have bigger issues to deal with than straight teeth!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:15 PM

profile gallery send pm

thanks for the opinions on clarinets with braces!
Old 02-25-2016, 01:19 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
What is retainer cleaner?! My son has a retainer and we were told we could use effordent once a week.
I use something called "Retainer Brite". It works pretty well and I bought a big case of it from Amazon.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Will have to look for retainer brite Cheri! Thanks for the recommendation!
I did it! I went for an invisalign consult today! I am thinking I want to do it!! Any improvement is better than what I have now, even if they are not perfect. I can live with slightly imperfect.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Cindi, did they tell you a price? Or a price compared to braces? and how long you would have to wear them for?
Old 03-02-2016, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Following this ... Lots of great advice in this thread! Our dentist wants our youngest in Invisaline but our orthodontist wants him and metal braces. I'm trying to research both. His dentist prefers Invisaline and Orthodontist prefers the metal for a better result. It's frustrating trying to figure out which would be best for him. Good luck to those going with them, let us know how things go.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had regular braces at the age of 40. I couldn't do Invisalign because mine was a fairly extreme case - I had to have my palette broken and expanded, wore braces for 2 years, then had jaw surgery (I was on a liquid diet afterwards and lost 40 pounds! ...all gained back now). I really didn't mind having "metal mouth."
My ortho said that I would have to wear my retainer every night or my teeth would go back to where they were. My retainer is similar to the Invisalign trays - it's a clear piece that fits over my teeth. I don't mind wearing it every night and I really do notice movement in my teeth if I forget a night.
As far as cleaning my retainer, plain white vinegar works the best. I just soak it for an hour and it takes away the calcium build up.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:42 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post
Following this ... Lots of great advice in this thread! Our dentist wants our youngest in Invisaline but our orthodontist wants him and metal braces. I'm trying to research both. His dentist prefers Invisaline and Orthodontist prefers the metal for a better result. It's frustrating trying to figure out which would be best for him. Good luck to those going with them, let us know how things go.
If it was invisalign would it be the dentist doing it? I can't help but wonder if the dentist want's him to do it because he'd be getting the $$$.. I think i'd be trusting an orthodontists opinion over a dentist .
Old 03-02-2016, 04:47 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
If it was invisalign would it be the dentist doing it? I can't help but wonder if the dentist want's him to do it because he'd be getting the $$$.. I think i'd be trusting an orthodontists opinion over a dentist .
I agree with this. Trust the orthodontist, this is their area of expertise.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
No he would send us to another Ortho...and sadly I think its about $$ for both
Old 03-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

They are sending the imaging to Invisalign who will come back with a plan. They said it would probably be full treatment, which is $5700. It could potentially be less. And would take 12-18 mos. (will know more exact treatment specifics soon). That is pretty much exactly what we paid for our last son's metal braces last year. I am allergic to nickel and approaching 50 so the plastic seems perfect for me.

Old 03-03-2016, 05:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I finally had my appointment on Monday. I got all he molds done and they sent it off!! I should hear something early next week!!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yea! We are all going to have straight teeth in a couple years!

I get my metal mouth on next Tues. Mine is costing $4700. But thank goodness we have ortho insurance that will pay $2000 of it.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Good to not be alone with braces! Yay! Excited for everyone!