Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-12-2021, 11:12 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Kit or Stash Scrapper

I think I know the answer to this questions, but want to ask it anyway.

Are you a kit scrapper, and by that I mean do you used a single kit to create or layouts, with the exception of maybe one or two things?

Or are a stash scrapper? My definition of that is someone who looks through their stash and uses things from different kits to complete the bulk of their layout.

If you are a stash scrapper, what do you most need added to your stash? What type of element pack or paper pack do you find you are constantly missing as you look for things to complete your layout.

I think most of you are kit scrappers, but am not positive, so I need your feed back.

Frankly, it takes me two weeks to do a full collection, but I like working on smaller things during that time, like my template series, but wouldn't mind working on some other packs that you all might be lacking.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I am a kit scrapper because everything is at my fingertips. I got in to this habit being on so many creative teams and using only that week's new release product on my layout. That made for easier scrapping, less thinking/planning on my part, which looking back am thankful for especially when coming to crediting!

However there have been on occasion where I pick/choose from other kits and have had quite some credit descriptions in my gallery!
Old 09-12-2021, 11:43 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

For the majority I am a kit/collection scrapper. But there are times I stash scrap -- usually when I want one colour scheme but want some themed elements to add, or if I am in need of some basics. (like buttons, stitching, etc)

Old 09-12-2021, 11:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Mostly a kit scrapper but when I do go looking for something outside of the kit it's usually clipping masks, custom shapes, brushes, stamps, torn or decorative edges, frames or an additional alpha to make a mixed alpha title.
Old 09-12-2021, 11:49 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Kit scrapper. Makes for faster scrapping as well.

Just did a couple layouts the last few days that I couldn't find any one kit that would work for them. For one I used kits from 2 different designers and my brain was on overload trying to figure out how to get them to work. For the other one I used items from multiple kits but all the same designer. At least those I knew the "style" was the same (I have trouble mixing "styles").

Each layout took me over 3 hours to do. Most of my layouts take less than an hour and for some less than 30 minutes because of not using so many elements. Earlier this week I did 2 layouts for the same event using 1 kit in about an hour. 90 minutes later I had another 2 layouts done. So 4 layouts in 2.5 hours with 2 layouts using 1 kit and the other 2 layouts using another kit.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I definitely gravitate towards being a kit scrapper. Part of that is driven by the fact that I'm mostly making CT pages and want to showcase the products that way, but also I really like the convenience of having everything in one spot and I don't enjoy the process of tracking things down and browsing my other products.

Not including templates, styles or a actions, the reasons I would dip into multiple products are:

1. There are some must-haves that aren't included with the kit/collection
2. I'm creating for a challenge or
3. The CT either encouraged it or the expectation is that it's ok to mix/match.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I start out with the intention of being a kit scrapper.....that would make me more efficient but I tend to head outside of a kit for stitching, paint or a different alpha most of the time.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 09-12-2021, 01:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I definitely gravitate towards being a kit scrapper.

Not including templates, styles or a actions, the reasons I would dip into multiple products are:

1. There are some must-haves that aren't included with the kit/collection
2. I'm creating for a challenge or
3. The CT either encouraged it or the expectation is that it's ok to mix/match.
Same. Some of the must haves might be a butterfly or scatter, extra flowers or foliage or stitches if the kit doesn't have any

Last edited by Kiana; 09-12-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm mostly a kit scrapper, but sometimes I look in other kits for foliage. I need certain shapes which aren't always in a kit.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm most definitely a kit scrapper. It exhausts me even to think about searching through my stash to mix and match. (I have great admiration for those who do!) I can almost always find what I need within a kit, but on the rare occasion that I need something specific I'll just go into my CU stash and make my own.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely a kit scrapper because it would take me forever to find what I'm looking for and also forever to write down credits. Not worth it to me. I also like my page to be visually attractive and I think it works best when sticking with colors from one kit. But I know some people out there do an awesome job at mixing.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The kit theme drives the layout I'm going to scrap, so I'm mostly a kit scrapper. If its for a challenge that I have in my mind of an idea of how I want the page, then I'm stash.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Kit for the most part.

Typically the only things I'll grab outside the kit are Alphas, I rarely use a kit alpha, I grab extra greenery, and sometimes flowers if I need a few extras. I have some staples and stitching I use regularly. But I never mix papers or elements, anything like that.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Mainly a kit scrapper.

I'm always looking for bold alphas in plain colours - sometimes the kit doesn't come with an alpha, or isn't what I was really looking for

Old 09-12-2021, 04:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I am definitely a kit scrapper. I stress at the thought of searching for something outside of the kit I'm using. Little things like paint or foliage doesn't bother me but anything else and I start to twitch.
Old 09-12-2021, 04:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a total kit scrapper, too. It hurts my head to think about searching my stash. I tried that ONCE when I was trying to do a monochromatic layout and spent so much time on it and hated it about 1/2 way through and trashed it. It just goes so much faster/easier for me to stick with one kit/bundle. I will grab some messy edges/clipping masks/stitches sometimes if a kit doesn't have that and I want to include it.
Old 09-12-2021, 05:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Kit scrapper. When I leave the kit, it's to look for things like: basic papers (bright white or a subtle grid), tags, staples & other basic fasteners, stitches & alphas.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm usually a kit scrapper, with the exception of beach layouts. Since I was making a 30+ page album, I made myself a stash of elements/papers from several designers in the blue/green/tan/brown/white range that I collected just for making the album. The basics I do look for outside kits are a subtle graph paper, bright white paper, white straight stitching (& zigzag) & single color paint splatter/neutral confetti.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

oh I'm totally a kit scrapper. it started when I was a layout artist for another store many many years ago. also, I try scrap with my own collections so i can see if it works and if there is anything missing I should add.

great question Lorie xx
Old 09-12-2021, 07:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kit scrapper 100%

Old 09-12-2021, 07:34 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I’m definitely a kit scrapper, too. When I look in my stash it’s usually for foliage, buttons, plain papers, or a neutral color flower.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:43 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Only a kit scrapper for CT work. Other than that I am a stash scrapper for challenges. There Have been times I have used more than 10 kits for a single layout. I think my record has been 19. My reasons for this vary, but sometimes a kit may have better flowers or papers. I also love doing monotone pages and may need more than one kit to get several flowers that are the same colors.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Mostly kit scrapper but will search for extra items that I may need like paint, doodles, foliage and word art...I don't mind mixing kits. I do it with Kristin's Great Outdoors kits sometimes.
Old 09-12-2021, 10:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Definitely a kit scrapper but the ONE thing that I will hunt for in my stash is Staples. I'm just a sucker for a good staple (any fastener for that matter!!)
Old 09-12-2021, 10:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do have a Favorites folder on my hard drive with neutral-colored alphabets, mixed media elements, and elements that I use as templates like different tags, etc., and I do pull from that folder when the kit I'm using does not have exactly what I need.

I generally just use one kit at a time, though, because most of my layouts are CT layouts.
Old 09-13-2021, 12:55 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Kit scrapper. I have tried mixing and matching and unless it's an illustration, paint, glitter, or some leaves and stuff like that, I can't seem to make anything that pleases me. Give me a kit or a collection and I can scrap my heart out, but hand me odds and ends and forget it. That's why I dislike doing certain challenges and speed scraps
Old 09-13-2021, 01:57 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm mostly a kit scrapper but some times I love to mix and match too from my stash..
Old 09-13-2021, 02:22 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm both!
I love to use single kits, but I also love to add neutral alphas and neutral (woodgrain) background papers to my pages.

I would love a set of new neutral alphas in different fonts.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:54 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a kit scrapper--it's too convenient and I'm too trained by CT work to do otherwise. That being said, I will use an outside alpha if I need it, or stitches & paint. Someone used to have some really cool paint splotches that were perfect to use over patterned paper as journal spots. And I agree with Sarah-- I'd love some new neutral alphas as well.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kit scrapper mostly. Disney layouts I am a stash scrapper (just because I want specific themed things, colors etc on my layouts, so I go looking to find what I want.) My Disney layouts always have the longest credits it seems!

I also am a stash scrapper if I can't find the exact things or colors I want.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Once in a while I'll go outside of a kit to find something specific but otherwise I'm definitely a kit scrapper.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This really depends on the layout I'm making. Sometimes, I'll open a kit and make a page. Other times, I've got 6 products from 4 designers open and I'm looking for just the right word strip or flair for my page.

I seem to be always looking for good background papers - small patterns, interesting solids, painted pages, etc. I also browse through products looking for themed words, titles, strings, leaves, the right flower or button. I love to add dates to my pages using a stamp, brush, or wordy bit. Those usually aren't in kits. I do some pages that are very color specific; so I will pull the right color items from anywhere I can find them.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Totally a kit scrapper.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 09-15-2021, 05:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely a kit scrapper. I prefer to use themed kits that have everything I need in them to finish my page!
Old 09-15-2021, 08:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Like most people have commented, I am a kit scrapper who pulls bits and pieces from my general collection as needed.

If you were going to work on some extra packs, Lorie, I would suggest some cards and badges for everyday stuff. When I'm working on my pocket albums, I really need filler cards that aren't thematic but just say things like, "Life is good." or "Today was a good day." or "This makes me happy."
Old 09-15-2021, 09:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm mostly a kit scrapper, but I also have a whole bunch of favorites folders: flowers and foliage, stitching, paint, scatters, general elements (things like stars, hearts, and cameras), wordart, wood, birthdays elements, ribbons, etc. I often pull from my favorites folders when I want to stretch a kit or scrap off theme with it.

The number one thing I always search for are non-flower elements for clustering. I have 2 teen boys, and their pages don't feel right with huge floral clusters. I'd love some go-to packs of masculine-friendly elements! Neutral colors would be fantastic so that they could be used with anything.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:26 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

For CT layouts, I’m usually a kit scrapper. But when for personal layouts I tend to be more a stash scrapper. I like merging things together and what I need depends on the layout…. Most times it isn’t because the kit is lacking it’s usually because I’m to convey a certain look. For example travel itinerary for the
Shadow box, I needed things from different kits to represent my different stops along the way.

There are times I mix to pull in artsy items like paints. I always love some great foliage, twigs, curled ribbon, loopy strings and staples/stitches.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a kit scrapper (exceptions are a challenge that requires mashing kits together, or as you said, pulling 1 or 2 things to throw on a page). The reason is pure Laziness on my part..... a lot of times I have a hard time remembering the name of the template I used by the time I'm done with a layout and I spend a lot of time looking for it in my stash so I can give the proper credits.... I can't imagine how scatter brained I'd be tracking a lot of different kits too.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:33 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Kit scrapper but I have started a folder that has my favorite elements in it.
Old 09-18-2021, 04:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a kit scrapper. I only search my stash if I can't find something in a kit.