Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-14-2021, 10:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Head verses Stomach

Okay, so this is new for me, and it is driving me nuts. Recently I have lost my appetite. You're probably thinking that for a chunky girl it is a good thing, but it isn't.

My stomach may be saying not hungry, nothing sounds good, but my head is saying you must eat. It is time for dinner. The problem is since nothing sounds good, I end up trying all kinds of things and never finishing them. But soon enough, my head is saying you didn't eat much, you need to eat. And off I go eating something else.

I know that food is supposed to be fuel and I should listen to my body, but my mind is on a different page and it is winning out. As a result I am struggling really hard with my diet and right now am just trying not to gain weight.

How do you all deal with a loss of appetite and the battle between your mind and your body in regards to food. I am sure some of you don't have this problem, but I am hoping some of you know what I am talking about and can give me some advice.

I really resent the fact that I am not hungry, nothing sounds or tastes good and I am still fighting to lose weight. I hate having crazy food issues.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I had weight loss surgery (gastric bypass) in March 2020 and so as a result of that I don't often feel hungry, and I always have to remind myself to eat. Never thought that would be a thing for me, considering how fluffy I was before. I could probably eat a lot healthier but I'm so limited in how much I can eat in a serving that I tend to go for the things I enjoy now to satisfy that head hunger (working on that, as I don't want to gain back the 110 lbs I lost!)

Old 09-15-2021, 06:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch everyday. If you aren't cooking for anyone else, you could try doing that and dinner too. Just eat the same thing and the same amount everyday to get fuel. After a while you may get so sick of those foods that other things will sound good again.
I just hate thinking about food all the time. My break from that is having my family tell me what they want on the weekends, and I don't want to hear, "I don't care." If I hear that, they don't eat! lol
Old 09-15-2021, 08:51 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I agree with what Lynn said about eating the same thing to get the fuel you need.

When my diet was limited because of not being able to chew anything I ate a lot of mashed potatoes and baked potatoes at least 5 days a week. Scrambled eggs and Kraft mac and cheese were the other 2 days.

Since May 19th when I could finally eat anything I wanted since I could chew again, I haven't eaten any of those 4 items. I just ate because I had to, not because I enjoyed the taste of the foods during that time. Now, I enjoy the taste of everything that goes in my mouth.

Although I will admit lately I've been eating the same thing every night. It is too hot to cook so I've been getting ham salad, potato salad and already cut up fruit at the grocery. Toasted ham salad sandwiches with potato salad and fruit on the side has been nice during the hot weather. When the temps cool down, I'll start fixing other meals.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:03 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Usually, the only time I lose my appetite is if I'm physically sick or mentally/emotionally distraught. Are you maybe coming down with something? Is something happening that is causing stress or anxiety? Maybe there is an underlying cause for your loss of appetite. When I'm not interested in eating, I try to eat a little bit and make sure it is as nutritionally helpful as possible.

I've started intermittent fasting, and it's been amazing for shutting down the thinking about food all the time. AND I feel better and I've lost a few pounds.

I hope you feel more like yourself soon and can get back to regular patterns of appetite and eating!

Old 09-15-2021, 09:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never had that problem except if I have a migraine... my answer I don't eat. I know it's not healthy but it's once in a moonlight.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree with some of the others about maybe just finding something small for the "fuel" portion and eating that the same everyday and time until something sparks the taste buds.

I also agree, usually when I just have no desire to eat it's because of something totally unrelated.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I usually feel the same way when I'm sick. The only answer for me is to drink my meal and it's usual blended soup. Veggies and chicken. That's all you would need for fuel and not too much calories.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:19 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I suffer from an eating disorder so can't trust my mind or my body, as both can send me both true and false information regarding hunger. The dietician has me basically on a schedule. I have to eat something every 3-4 hours...only exception is when I am sleeping. At this point the amount of food doesn't matter. It could be a balanced meal, a yogurt, or it could be a cookie etc. The eventual goal will be to move to intuitive eating where I can eat whatever I want as long as I am truly hungry. (But I am a long way from that yet.)

I also have trouble knowing what I may want to eat and have shared your struggle of trying different things but not really wanting any of it. I have learned to use my freezer when this happens. I will freeze either full meals, or snack sized portions so that I still have choice, but can try to reduce the amount of food that sits. (I don't have anyone that will eat leftovers so it is me or the garbage unfortunately.)

Old 09-15-2021, 08:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That sounds really terrible, Lorie. I'm sorry you're going through this.

I don't have very good taste buds, so I don't really love eating. Sometimes I will forget to eat if I'm busy and don't realize it until I start to feel woozy from hunger.

I find that eating the same thing for breakfast each day and for lunch each day helps me, like Lynn said, because I don't have to make a decision. I just make the food and eat it, and since I never asked myself, "What do I want to eat today?" I don't have feelings about whether it tastes good or not. It's just what I eat.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My issue is I eat when I’m bored, sad, angry…..you get it. I think many times I’m not hungry, I just eat because I have nothing else to do. Sadly, they are not good choices. Yesterday, I had a nice ham sandwich and some grapes for lunch…..I then proceeded to inhale a bag of Fritos. Some days I do better than others.

Is there something in particular that you like? Or as Lynn mentioned, eat the same thing to get your fuel.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch each day, which is my Optavia fueling, but it is my Lean and Green Meal that I struggle with. I think I ate the same thing for so long, I just got sick of it and don't know what to replace it with.

I also know that food is my crutch and I will make excuses as to why I can't eat healthier. I also know that my head plays games with me when it comes to food. I saw my doctor today and she said perhaps I should look into Noom. Any of you know anything about Noom?

Finally, I think my loss of appetite can be traced back to the fact that I have dry mouth really bad again, not sure why, and that is turning me off food. Dry mouth is the worse and something I battle way too often.