Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
I just looked at my son's data usage and he goes over the 300MB which is why he has the 3G plan.

Sounds like you might have gotten a special deal when you started. We have 5 phones on one plan (since that's all you can have) with 700 minutes, but we also have 4 more phones, unlimited texting for all of us, and one data plan so our bill is around $190. Ugh. And that's why I don't want to add any more $30 data plans.

One thing we do have is free mobile to any mobile, no matter the carrier. It used to just be ATT (which most of my family has), but last time we upgraded a phone, they gave us free to any mobile. So we never use those 700 minutes and have so many rollover minutes that each month we have some expiring.
Mary, this is exactly what mine is as well. Ours is 183 a month (for the same as yours... 4 phones, 1 of them being data) and same as yours for the mobile to any mobile carrier.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaandjudah View Post
I thought Verizon no longer did free upgrades.....will I have to pay 600$ for one?
You can't get the phone for free, but if you are eligible for an upgrade, you get the phone much cheaper than if you aren't. The iPhone 5 will start at $199 for those that are eligible for an upgrade. It will cost much more for those who want to upgrade before they are eligible.

What I want to know is this:

We are on Verizon. We have the unlimited data plans for $30 a month. When we upgrade to new phones, are they going to force us to change our data plans to their current tiered system? I would love to keep the ones we currently have, but I have a feeling we're going to have to switch.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
You can't get the phone for free, but if you are eligible for an upgrade, you get the phone much cheaper than if you aren't. The iPhone 5 will start at $199 for those that are eligible for an upgrade. It will cost much more for those who want to upgrade before they are eligible.

What I want to know is this:

We are on Verizon. We have the unlimited data plans for $30 a month. When we upgrade to new phones, are they going to force us to change our data plans to their current tiered system? I would love to keep the ones we currently have, but I have a feeling we're going to have to switch.
My friend who is with Verizon was told by Verizon that she is grandfathered in, she doesn't have to go to the tiered system. If they even tried to force you, I'd just tell them you will quit and go to a new carrier and I bet they will keep you. Another friend/neighbor of mine had to do that with her plan with AT&T.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna View Post
We're with AT&T and my DH and I both have just the $15/mo data on our iPhones so you can have the lower plan with iPhones. It's the 200MB plan which is plenty for us right now, I'm home all day too so I use our wifi most of the time and Rob teaches so he can't be on his phone during the day anyway.
Yay! Thanks for letting me know Shawna! I know that I had to specifically ask them if there was a lower data plan - they wanted to automatically sign me up for the $30 plan when I got my Blackberry a few years ago. When I pressed them they said there was a smaller plan.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:45 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arual View Post
My friend who is with Verizon was told by Verizon that she is grandfathered in, she doesn't have to go to the tiered system. If they even tried to force you, I'd just tell them you will quit and go to a new carrier and I bet they will keep you. Another friend/neighbor of mine had to do that with her plan with AT&T.
Looks like Verizon changed their policy on this one in May of this year. So unless you want to pay $600-$700 for your phone, you have to go to the tiered data plans. Bummer.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news...a-pricing.html

Old 09-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
Looks like Verizon changed their policy on this one in May of this year. So unless you want to pay $600-$700 for your phone, you have to go to the tiered data plans. Bummer.

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news...a-pricing.html
Ohhhh they told her wrong then, she was just told that about a week ago when she was inquiring because she wants the new iphone. I'll pass this to her, thank you!
Old 09-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Im not getting the 5 yet but will get one AFTER we get back from London/Paris at the end of October. Im super excited!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm debating whether i should stay with android and get the samsung galaxy III or go with the iphone 5....hmmm, decisions!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:36 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arual View Post
Ohhhh they told her wrong then, she was just told that about a week ago when she was inquiring because she wants the new iphone. I'll pass this to her, thank you!
I just saw this info on Slick Deals. Maybe this could help her if it's true?
Old 09-14-2012, 06:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

that is a total bummer. I love my unlimited data. I would HATE to go to the tiered plans. Guess I'm keeping my iPhone 4 forever.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
I just saw this info on Slick Deals. Maybe this could help her if it's true?
Wow, that is very interesting! I'm passing this to her as well, thanks Julie.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I still have just the 3gs and I got it when it first came out, in June 2009! So, it's over 3 years old & I'm way overdue for an upgrade! We were planning on just upgrading to the 4s, but we had heard rumors that it was supposed to drop to $49 for an 8gb, but the 16 is the smallest they are doing. So, since it's only half the price instead 1/4 of the price, I'm trying to convince dh to go ahead and let me get the 5! We shall see! But, I'll be getting one of the two hopefully by Christmas! & I'll honestly be happy either way!
Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just checked on Verizon and I am eligible for an upgrade ($50 discount, so iPhone 5 for $149!) ...BUT it is true that my 'grandfathered' data plan would go away and I would have to go with their tiered plan.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Just put my order in for the 5 since I bypassed on the 4S due to upgrade dates--can't wait to get it!!!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

4s with no plans to upgrade for at least a year. I have other things I would rather spend my money on. Having the latest and greatest just isn't enough of a reason for me.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I found this article that is about shared data plans for ATT and Verizon:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/18/a...lans-compared/

Based on this, it looks like we could get another smart phone and not really increase our bill. After the demand dies down, I'll check it out.