Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-16-2013, 04:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default If you live somewhere that doesn't really have Autumn

what do you do to make it feel fall-ish? It's still so hot here and crispy brown that it's kind of hard to get into it. ( and it will be that way for a good while yet )At the same time, I love the thought of fall, the colors and food and I'm a huge fan of Halloween and pumpkins and warm, spicy things.

So what do you do to fake the season? Anything? Or do you just ignore it?

I like to buy pumpkins and spruce up the entry way but that's about it. I'm feeling a need for a little more.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get down at this time of year because I want fall weather so badly! Yet, we don't have it. I could drive up north a couple of hours and be in it, but that never happens.

I usually don't even think about it until October. And then I just pretend - wear jeans when it's just a little bit cooler (IF it is) and socks and shoes. Ha! I only do candles in the fireplace, so that's easy to do to make it feel cozier. And I use fall-scented candles in the house too. I have some fall decorations and my mom has sent me pressed fall leaves from her maple tree (in Missouri) for several years.

And then we just hope and pray the heat breaks before the end of October.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Pumpkin.... pumpkin everything, it's a sickness really lol.

Decorate with Fall stuff, turn the A/C down lol (til it gets cold), drink a lot of pumpkin lattes and bake everything under the sun made with pumpkin :P Like the cake I posted on FB yesterday... I could not hold out any longer.

Now that I have had a taste of Fall when we lived in VA, I so miss it!
Old 09-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm going to drink some cider and cry.

After that, lots of apples and pumpkin cookies. I decorate for Fall because it's my favorite season regardless of it being green, sunny and warm in Florida. I put everything up before Halloween and leave it up until I put up xmas stuff. We'll go to petting zoos and find a hayride and enjoy those things as we would up North.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I crank the AC and break out the tea, breads and pumpkins. Outside it looks like Halloween attacked my house I wear hoodies and sweats inside like its fall. It doesn't cool down here till Dec really.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

All of the above!

For me, the number one thing is fall scented candles... or Scentsy burners. All around the house.
... And making Apple crisp once a week.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

cry?

no really. I cry.

and as soon as the temperature cools(i.e. the daily high is only in the 70's) I totally fake it with more seasonal clothing..add the decor, etc. but I miss fall SO FREAKING MUCH
Old 09-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Okay, I've busted out my fall Scentsy flavors. I'll definitely be throwing out some pumpkins soon too. I'm going to crock pot some soup and do a little baking soon, even though it's still hot for the oven.

I'm too cheap to crank the AC. So many years, even by the end of October early November it's still short sleeve and shorts weather. We have a cold front in the forecast where it will only be in the low 90's this week so I guess that's something. I wish it were at least green but it's not, it's just hot and gross. At least I'm not alone :P
Old 09-16-2013, 06:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Keely, I say fake it wear boots, a light sweater/long sleeve. Buy pumpkins, corn stalks, fake scarecrows and they have these beautiful leaf garlands. I've seen them at Michaels, ACMoore and JoAnns... HTH

I really am so spoiled b/c I always complain to my dd & dh about how Fall just passes right by and I don't ever feel like I documented it enough. It's our FAV season and I hate when it ends and Winter begins :| If it's any comfort we are having 50 deg evenings into the morning

Old 09-16-2013, 07:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL, we basically have two seasons here--wet and dry--and we are definitely OUT of summer already. I wish we had the pretty palette of fall with leaves. At least now I have busted out my hoodies and fluffy socks.

What makes me feel like fall is scrapping with fall kits. I just love the colors so much. And I don't really care if my stories or photos are unrelated to fall
Old 09-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Growing up in Houston, I definitely know what you mean about the lack of fall...seems like our leaves would turn brown in November or December, and that was it.

So decoration and cinnamon/spiced candles was about it. One thought...have you ever been to the Scarecrow Festival in Chappell Hill? Maybe a day trip would help you get into that autumn mood, even if it is shorts & t-shirt weather.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:21 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

I can relate. We get fall here for maybe a week. We live in a neighborhood with mature trees and we get together with our neighbors and let the kids play in the leaves when they do finally fall, if they haven't been rained on yet.

I laugh when I think of Jim Gaffigan's quote:

"I love fall. It's my favorite day of the year!"

Anyways, yes, I do all the above. I just pretend. Cook, bake, candle warming, decorate, etc.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Trista

Another Texas chick here... faking it for the spirit of the season. My favorite season - even if it isn't all colorful and beautiful like up north.

happily creating for Darcy Baldwin, Kristin Cronin-Barrow, Krystal Hartley, and Studio Basic Designs
Old 09-18-2013, 12:10 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Decorate your house with pumpkins and those Fall things you can buy I also love making soup from scratch especially on rainy days (even though it's hot outside) it still gives me a Fall feeling
Old 09-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I ignore it...

I grew up in Florida, so my first fall in Tennessee was a shock to my system. My brain panicked when all the leaves fell off the trees. I could look at it and say "It's beautiful!" but at the same time, I was homesick and felt unsettled... and I didn't know why. It took a few years of this happening for me to realize that I dreaded fall. I love the decorations, the pumpkin everything, the colors (and kits!), the holidays. I had a pumpkin latte the other day and when I took the first sip, I said "Tastes like September!" LOL! (Which was super weird for me because I'm not used to drinking PSLs here in Florida.) But I don't actully enjoy the season up north! The summers up there are so beautiful, but so short! I always mourned their passing...

I think I miss winter more. LOL! I liked snow and coats and cozy socks... knitting, snuggling, Christmas... it does feel like we are just faking the season down here.

Then again, we went to the pool yesterday. And we plan to go to the beach on Friday. Who needs fall?

Old 09-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I mostly ignore it but I also grew up in CA where our winter was what most people think of as fall. I never truly experienced fall until we lived in Colorado and while I loved it, it only lasted maybe a week before the snow and 8 months of winter hit. LOL I wouldn't complain about having highs that didn't start with a 9 at this point, haha, but I know come Dec/Jan/Feb I'll be happy it's not 20 degrees out. I do miss the snow in CO though - its just so pretty!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I miss snow at Christmas-time, but that's about it. If I could have it just for like one day, then go back to sun, that would be good. Oh yeah, I CAN have that - I just have to drive north a couple of hours, then back home. After Christmas, I'm ready to get back to spring.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As much as I loved living in places like San Diego and Hawaii, the one thing I really missed was fall. Having grown up in Maine it's always been my favorite season. I would do all the things mentioned and also decorate my palm tree trunks with strings of colored leaf garlands, set out pumpkins, decorations, etc.

The things I missed that we couldn't duplicate though were apple picking and pumpkin patch picking, corn mazes, hay rides, Sunday drives to see the views, and football games where you have to wear your gloves and hats because it's too chilly not to

Last week we were in the high 80s during the day here with high 60s at night and humid as all heck and this week we've been in the low 40s at night with high 60s during the day. Such is fall - huge temperature swings for a couple weeks and then winter sets in and I'm ready to get the heck out of here!