Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2013, 05:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Default Adobe is going with All-In Creative Cloud!

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/06/ado...wrapped-boxes/

I'm not sure I like that. Just glad that I have CS6 and that works just fine for my scrapbooking needs for at least few more year before I am forced to look into CC.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have CC subscription and love it. It's easy to justify the cost from a business perspective for me though.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Blah. I'm not happy about that news at all. I've got CS6, so I guess I won't be upgrading til Chloe is in kindergarten when I can get the education pricing for CC.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I will be switching to a MAC very soon, now I'm not sure what to do, I may have to wait for the CC rather than go buy CS6.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm kinda confused. Can someone explain that more?

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 05-06-2013, 06:53 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Trish, there will be no more individual software anymore. Let's say you want to buy CS6 for your scrapbooking needs or Lightroom.. they're planning to stop selling those in near future. Only way to get any of Adobe software will be by subscribing to their monthly plan for Creative Cloud. That will give you access too ALL of their softwares. But if you're just interested in using PS occasionally, it's one expensive software. For me, there were month before I opened PS.. or maybe only once a month. So, for that kind of users, this is really bad move. I sure hope that PSE isn't part of CC. Has anyone heard anything about that?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Hi Trish,
here's a link that should explain more: http://www.adobe.com/cc/letter.html

Do you use Adobe products?

I have a Creative Cloud subscription at work, so it works well for me, but we JUST got it a couple of months ago. We use a bunch of Adobe applications though, so it was worthwhile. I'm not sure how it will work moving forward if we only wanted 1 piece of software...
Old 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Hi Ripal, I would imagine not, since PSE is targeted to the individual/home user. let's hope for digital scrapbooking's sake that it will at least be available as a single subscription!!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Ripal, PSE is not listed in the products going to be offered in the Cloud. So, I imagine it will be available as a boxed/downloaded product. I think this could change the face of digiscrapping. PSE has become more and more powerful in the last couple editions. I can see it being all a scrapper ever needs.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not excited by this... we had talked about the cloud service over Christmas... hubby uses an old version of their audio program for his dad's radio show. We decided to wait until I got my mac before upgrading to CS6 (I have CS4 and loathe it so much that I went back to PSE)... I really don't like the idea of another subscription added to the budget and not "owning" software that I used a lot.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh ewww. I mean I use it everyday just about, but I can't do monthly payments on any extra things - it just isn't possible on a commission budget, and even if I could, paying monthly you would still way overpay in the end, which is just stupid. Dangitall, I had planned on breaking down and buy Illustrator soon.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah I subscribed to CC back in the fall, and I have LOVED it, but as a designer it made sense for me, luckily we had it in our budget. I absolutely love having it, but I think it is a huge bummer that they are only going that way in the future! Not every professional who needs one type of adobe software needs it all. And pay a subscription doesn't really make sense for everyone either :/

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think it's a terrible move for consumers that a monthly subscription is the only option. As a non-professional user, I typically upgrade for $200-ish with an educational discount every other cycle, so about once every 4 years. No way am I willing to pay their monthly subscription fees. I'm glad I already have CS6. I guess I'll be using it for a very long time to come, then switching to PSE or whatever else another company creates to fill the gap.

I read the article that was linked, and Adobe talks about how part of their reason for this move is that their cloud users are so satisfied and the option proved even more popular than they imagined. Obviously they know their market better than I do, but I can't help but wonder how much of that initial popularity is due to people who didn't own CS because of the cost and were thrilled to have a monthly payment instead. Wonder how well it's going to do when people who prefer a one time ownership fee lose that option.

ETA: I think I saw that there are different types of subscriptions. So if all you want is PS, you can do that for a smaller monthly fee.

Last edited by rach3975; 05-06-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I think they will definitely take more of a hit than they expect...some will move to PSP or other software.

I also think this will hurt the digital scrapbook industry as a whole...let's face it, a lot of us are on tight budgets, and 30 bucks might be a month's allotment for digi shopping. So if that money has to go to our scrapping software, it won't be going to buy new kits.

LOL and it's really making me wish I could afford to get CS6 right now (because we have 0 extra in the monthly budget right now).

Last edited by pewtertm; 05-06-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

This was part of the reason why I bought CS6 Suite when there was a good deal, thinking that if it all ended up being CC, I'll at least have one copy of In-Design, Illustrator, Flash, PS and whatever else that it came with.

CS6 is powerful enough for simple scrapbooker like me (Way more than what I need). So, I'll keep using it for few more years.. at least until my computer supports it. I'm glad that PSE isn't part of it, or else it would be really hard to get new people to try out digi scrapping or any kind of digital work for that matter.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I guess it's a good thing I love my PS CS3. lol

Old 05-06-2013, 09:19 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Hmm. I'm not quite sure what to think about this yet. I can see how it would be great to get faster updates and new features. I don't love subscription pricing even though I do use PS, PSE, InDesign, and Acrobat on a fairly regular basis. I'm glad I have CS6 for now, and I will be watching to see how they roll this out and what (if any) changes they make based on customer feedback.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I think its a bad move to completely phase it out, lucky for me, I only use PSP and PSE.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Bah. I guess I'll be sticking with CS5.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think Adobe is worried about losing our business, meaning those of us who are home users who buy with an educational discount and don't always upgrade. Over time they'll probably make so much more off professionals who need to have the CS/CC products that it will more than make up for people who switch to another platform. I'm curious to see whether there's going to be anything else rising up to provide real competition for Adobe.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm. If I'm paying $49/month for software, I'm going to have to figure out how to design for myself, because that will seriously cut into my budget for buying kits! It will be interesting to see how this works out and if they are going to support PSE as a home user option. Otherwise, I can see that this will have some serious impact on scrapbookers.

On the other hand, PSE11 is so much better than its predecessors. The ability to add styles quickly and easily was a huge step forward. But there are still things that you really need the full program to do well (text on a path, for example, is just not as intuitive in PSE as it is in the full program and doesn't work as well).

Having access to all the programs may lead more people to be more creative, since they will have access to a wide range of tools.

But wow, I can see this being like cable television. They get you with a low introductory price and then hit you with the regular price a few months in, and then once you've had it for a year or two, they increase the prices again. Ouch!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post

But wow, I can see this being like cable television. They get you with a low introductory price and then hit you with the regular price a few months in, and then once you've had it for a year or two, they increase the prices again. Ouch!
Good point.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am not a big believer in Cloud services since I think they're more expensive over the long run. I guess I would switch to PSE rather than pay a monthly fee, although I might change my mind if you can just get PS separately (I don't need anything else) and it's reasonably priced. I find the trend discouraging though.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:49 AM

profile gallery send pm

My understanding is that each program by itself (if you only wanted Photoshop for example) would be $19.99 a month.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:08 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When/if I will feel that my PS6 needs updating, I would buy a copy of PSE and get one time subscription of CC every once in a while to play with new features. But at least with PSE, I can keep the work going.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripal View Post
When/if I will feel that my PS6 needs updating, I would buy a copy of PSE and get one time subscription of CC every once in a while to play with new features. But at least with PSE, I can keep the work going.
The one time cost is $75 if you want to turn CC on and off. It's $19 for an individual program, $29 for a student/teacher, $49 per month after the initial $29 introductory price,and $75 if you want to authorize for a month at a time.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, that takes care of my dilemna between cloud/physical when it comes to PSCS7 ana later... But I'd prefer to have a choice, too.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use PSE and can pretty much do anything I want with it using plug-ins and add-ons. I'm glad they're not including it in the Cloud so I can continue to upgrade every other edition.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have used PSP for a really long time and am on PSP X5. I think this will make some people go that route. Which if it does kinda makes me happy because that will mean more tutorials

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I agree Jessica. I love my PSP!

I hate cloud subscriptions. I am not going to pay $20 a month to use one software when I can buy another outright for $100.

Plus I have limits on my internet. We rural broadband users do not all have unlimited usage (or really fast speeds) & I won't use anything that can't work offline. Even if all it is doing is checking to see if I have 'permission' before starting.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
Plus I have limits on my internet. We rural broadband users do not all have unlimited usage (or really fast speeds) & I won't use anything that can't work offline. Even if all it is doing is checking to see if I have 'permission' before starting.
^big ditto. Especially when it comes to weekends and John is on COD, Zach's playing Free Time, and Bella and Ryan are doing Netflix.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm totally in, I was thinking about it for a year and now that it's the only option, I'm relieved they took my decision for me so to speak, LOL.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry... but what student can afford $30 per month?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not very pleased with this news or the idea. I will stick with my CS5/CS6 untill I can stand it no longer. I do not like the idea of adding another monthly expense even if it fits in our budget or not. I guess at that point I'll decide if there is something better software wise. My guess is I will have to switch to PSE and use Lightroom for editing. Overall I hope this bombs as bad as that sounds. Or I at least hope they come to their senses.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm upset, because I wanted to upgrade my LR... I'm on the original LR and wanted to upgrade to LR4 because of how much easier it is for me to get photos ready for print for PL... and then they came out with the LR5 beta so I decided to wait until then and was spending my budget knowing I'd be able to save up for the future and now I have to figure out how I can get Mark to let me buy LR4... and gotta buy next year's curriculum since my old receipt is "expired"... blah!!! I think I'm going to cry... I can't live without LR but now way I'm subscribing to it... I mean, I've been using LR for 5 years?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
I'm upset, because I wanted to upgrade my LR... I'm on the original LR and wanted to upgrade to LR4 because of how much easier it is for me to get photos ready for print for PL... and then they came out with the LR5 beta so I decided to wait until then and was spending my budget knowing I'd be able to save up for the future and now I have to figure out how I can get Mark to let me buy LR4... and gotta buy next year's curriculum since my old receipt is "expired"... blah!!! I think I'm going to cry... I can't live without LR but now way I'm subscribing to it... I mean, I've been using LR for 5 years?
I didn't see a subscription for it, just the update. (And I definitely looked because I'm thinking of upgrading, I've been using 2 for um, well, since it came out.)

Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i'm less than pleased. i don't have the money for a monthly subscription fee. i feel much better saving up for the big purchase of the full program. it doesn't make sense to me at all.

i guess i'll stick to CS5 for as long as i can. and then maybe find a copy of CS6 somewhere. i don't have the money to upgrade right now, but if i absolutely have to, my fiance will be going back to school. so i can have him buy it for me through school. since i'm no longer a student as of tomorrow.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post
I read somewhere that LR will still be available as a stand alone purchase, even though it's also in the Cloud.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
I agree Jessica. I love my PSP!

I hate cloud subscriptions. I am not going to pay $20 a month to use one software when I can buy another outright for $100.

According to the FAQ, it only needs to check once a month. Not every time you use it.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
The one time cost is $75 if you want to turn CC on and off. It's $19 for an individual program, $29 for a student/teacher, $49 per month after the initial $29 introductory price,and $75 if you want to authorize for a month at a time.
Oh.. well.. there goes my plan! lol I wonder for how long do you have to be locked in to get monthly price of $50? If it's like 2-year (or even one year) contract to get that 'deal' like the cell phones?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Oh.. well.. there goes my plan! lol I wonder for how long do you have to be locked in to get monthly price of $50? If it's like 2-year (or even one year) contract to get that 'deal' like the cell phones?
It's for a year. :-)

Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
It's a year.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:30 PM

profile gallery send pm

here is the buying guide (price sheet) - http://www.adobe.com/products/creati...guide.edu.html

looks like if you cancel before a year, you will owe half the remaining balance
Old 05-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Just noticed that for CS6 owners, it's only $9.99 for single app for first year. Not so bad! well.. it's still bad, but much better than initial shock of $50! lol

I'm glad I have few more year before I need to decide one way or the other. They might even come out with different plans by then!
Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not at all surprised. I had a feeling it was coming although it's sooner than I'd expected. I'm sure it's great for them but I can't say I'm pleased.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate monthly payments....but I do like the idea of having all the updated software, all the time.

Other programs are doing this too - Microsoft Office is one...

Old 05-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

For those looking to buy CS6 for cheap, and can use a student discount, Amazon sells it for $230. That was a lot less than academic websites. I'm not happy about paying a monthly fee when I'm a part-time scrapper. Adobe is going to lose customers with this move.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If you have CS5 you can upgrade to CS6 for $199.00

https://www.adobe.com/products/catal....html?start=20

Click the blue buy button to the right of CS6 and change to upgrade to see it.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh man! I even filled out a couple of their surveys stating how many people I know who use their programs for hobbies who would not be able to pay a monthly subscription since hobbies are always the first thing to go when money gets tight.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

I just think they aren't concerned about hobbyists. They will make enough money from professionals to make up for whatever they lose from hobbyists. Sad but true. And, from their perspective, think of all the resources they save by being able to roll out small updates whenever they are ready instead of overhauling the whole program once a year (or even once every two years).

I'm not saying I like it, but I can definitely see why it makes sense for them from a business perspective.