Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-30-2018, 04:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default October 2018 - Bingo FAQ

If you have any questions regarding THIS month's Bingo challenges, please post them here.

We have a wonderful team and community here at SSD....
so someone is sure to get back to you ASAP with answers to anything and everything related to our Challenge Bingo system!

Here is this month's card for easy reference:

Old 10-01-2018, 09:57 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I try and write these prompts with broad themes/concepts in mind and think that personal interpretation is key. You can certainly approach a prompt literally, or I encourage you to think about it in a different way ... take a creative approach on ways to apply prompts so that they'll work for your family. Here's a bit of extra information on a few of this month's challenges to help you get started :

#3: Participate in the SSD Blog Scraplift posted on October 7th...
On the first Sunday of each month, Sugarbabe Kim B. hosts a Scraplift challenge on the SSD Blog.
You have the entire month to play along and complete your page.

#5: Scrap with any solo product from an October Featured Designer...
Scrap with any product that's by either Brook or Rubia

#6: Photography Challenge - Blended...
Feel free to get creative and use your favorite method to blend a photo ... masks, paint splatters, gradient fades, etc!

#8 + #17: DOUBLE PAGER...
Content and design are totally up to you on these two squares - think of them as Wild Cards ♥
However, if you choose to do the single horizontal row of 14, 24, 17, 8, 9 OR if you complete a blackout then these two pages MUST compliment and coordinate with one another.

#9: Pay it Forward - Leave Love on 15 Gallery Pages...
You leave love on 15 layouts in the gallery and then post the link to each in your tracker thread.
Use the place marker below to "hold" that spot on your card ♥
First - click on the image below ... then, once you're redirected, right click the image that appears and save it as a .png file.

#10: Emma Signature Font...
Click on the image below to download the font and then use it on your page.

#16: Pumpkins, Apples, Sweaters...
Feel free to scrap about any [or all] of these prompts.
Think Pumpkin Carving... Pumpkin Patches... Pumpkin Pie!
Apple Harvests... Apple Donuts... Apple Pie!
Sweater Weather... Bundling Up... Crochet/Knitting!
Or whatever these ideas might inspire in you

#18: Alphabetical...
This is a fun prompt that coordinates with the launch of our new round of SSD's Featured Designers [Free w/Purchase Kits!]
You could use any of the Alphabet inspired FD kits that are rolling out for this prompt - like Melissa's fantastic A is for Awesome kit that's available FWP until 10/11, keeping in mind that Brook + Rubia will release the B & C coordinates this month! OR you could feature an alphabetized bullet list of goals, favorite songs/books/authors ... or scrap about something that starts with your favorite letter of the alphabet, or feature a letter that ties to the subject matter of your page.

#19: Scraplift - Bingo Challenge Thread...
Easy Peasy... just scraplift a page from the person who holds the spot above you in the October Bingo Challenge Thread.
Example: #8 will scraplift a page from the gallery of the person holding the #7 spot, and so on. If you happen to be the first person to post - ie: #3, then you'll scraplift the last person to post in the September Bingo Challenge Thread.

#22: Cider, Cocoa, Coffee...
Think Hot Drinks &/or Favorite Beverages... Sharing drinks with friends/family... Activities around concocting your own brews

Last edited by lingovise; 10-01-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I got a question #1 - Fall Festival/Hay Ride
What's a Fall Festival?
I don't think I've ever been on a hay ride (allergies)

Is a Fall Festival like going to the pumpkin patch? (I've never been to one before either!) My son has a field trip next week to a pumpkin patch and if it's something I can photograph for this challenge, I want to be prepared to make sure I get a photo to scrap this prompt.

Also, I LOVE that Emma font!!
Old 10-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I got a question #1 - Fall Festival/Hay Ride
What's a Fall Festival?
I don't think I've ever been on a hay ride (allergies)

Is a Fall Festival like going to the pumpkin patch? (I've never been to one before either!) My son has a field trip next week to a pumpkin patch and if it's something I can photograph for this challenge, I want to be prepared to make sure I get a photo to scrap this prompt.

Also, I LOVE that Emma font!!
I would think a pumpkin patch works for Fall Festival.
We have an apple squeeze festival coming up in our area. That would qualify too.

I'm a sucker for font too but I wish we didn't do font challenges because my computer really doesn't need more font added to it! I wish there was a way to easily delete the fonts I don't use.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Lea is correct. Fall festival could be any fun activity you do during fall. Where I live we don't have a typical fall season with the change of colours, so I'd have to just scrap something we did as a family in the autumn months. The prompts are to get you to scrap your family memories, so a visit to the pumpkin patch would definitely work fit the prompt.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Lea is correct. Fall festival could be any fun activity you do during fall. Where I live we don't have a typical fall season with the change of colours, so I'd have to just scrap something we did as a family in the autumn months. The prompts are to get you to scrap your family memories, so a visit to the pumpkin patch would definitely work fit the prompt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luan37 View Post
We have an apple squeeze festival coming up in our area. That would qualify too.

I'm a sucker for font too but I wish we didn't do font challenges because my computer really doesn't need more font added to it! I wish there was a way to easily delete the fonts I don't use.
Thanks guys! I thought the pumpkin patch would work. But then my husband is like "they mean Octoberfest", which is not something we'd ever do because it's mostly drinking. He was confusing me!

Lea, you can delete them when you are done with the font. If you use a PC, just go in to your C drive, click "windows" and then you'll see a folder called "fonts". Go in there and uninstall the ones that you don't want. I do it all the time! I'm such a font junkie and have almost 5,000 fonts that I add/remove all the time!
Old 10-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I don't know if I can do the blended photo with my dinky android app.

And all I have from either featured designer are templates or the kits I have are collabs... Unfortunately I'm broke broke broke so i can't make a purchase right now or in the foreseeable future. How does that work with designers that mainly do templates?

Last edited by AshleyMilfd; 10-02-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:16 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
But then my husband is like "they mean Octoberfest", which is not something we'd ever do because it's mostly drinking.
Oh, no, I'm sorry you feel that way, Wendy - Oktoberfest really is about so much more than just beer! Yes, they'll have a big beer tent or two or three (depending, usually a particular brewer sponsors a tent, so there's a Hofbrau one and a Heineken one, etc.) and there are games like Hold the Beer Stein (which is a feat of strength, not of drinking) but it's easy enough to stay away from those. Oktoberfest is about food - bratwurst and schnitzel and freshly roasted nuts and Bavarian pretzels - and crafts (shopping, lots of shopping!), about walking around in the beautiful weather with your family and enjoying the sights and smells and tastes and together time.

At least, that's how it was in Heidelberg and Stuttgart and Munich, and it's how it is in McKinney and San Antonio Texas these days. Hopefully it's the same near you.

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 10-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMilfd View Post

And all I have from either featured designer are templates or the kits I have are collabs... Unfortunately I'm broke broke broke so i can't make a purchase right now or in the foreseeable future. How does that work with designers that mainly do templates?
You can use the freebies too. They should be of solo designer.

What about just turning the opacity of your photo down? Can you do that at all with your app?

Quote:
Lea, you can delete them when you are done with the font. If you use a PC, just go in to your C drive, click "windows" and then you'll see a folder called "fonts". Go in there and uninstall the ones that you don't want. I do it all the time! I'm such a font junkie and have almost 5,000 fonts that I add/remove all the time!
I had no idea!! I have to try!
Old 10-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

#1: Fall Festivals/Hay Rides...
This doesn't have to be "fall/season" related ... I was thinking more along the lines of all the festivals/activities that usually take place around this time of year. In our area there's a terrific Greek Food Festival, my kids elementary school always has a big Back to School party & also puts on a Huge Halloween Festival, and our Philharmonic Orchestra is hosting a [super cool!!] Harry Potter Wand event later this month. Really anything along those lines would be just fine ♥ Trips to pumpkin patches, tractor trailer rides [something one of our local farms does!] and even trick or treating/trunk or treating could work as well.

#6: Photography Challenge - Blending...
You don't need anything fancy for this, often just playing around with the opacity will yield terrific results [like Lea suggested ♥]

#5: Scrap with any solo product from an October Featured Designer...
You can use ANY solo products from the designers featured this month. Templates, alphabets, kits, freebies, etc - including their portions of any collabs you might own.

I hope that helps ♥

Last edited by lingovise; 10-02-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMilfd View Post

Are you able to turn the opacity down on one of the layers of your templates?

What if I made a template with the layer turned down. When you use your phone does it make it 100% or is it more like brush (where you can see through it?)
Old 10-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Are you able to turn the opacity down on one of the layers of your templates?

What if I made a template with the layer turned down. When you use your phone does it make it 100% or is it more like brush (where you can see through it?)
I learn some thing new everyday. I wasn't aware but I can change the opacity! I scroll passed a very clearly labeled button a million times in a week haha. Ill be looking for some tutorials now. Thank you for offering that!!!
Old 10-03-2018, 06:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Lea, I use a font management tool called Nexus Font. It allows me to use my fonts, but I don't have to install them.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Lea, I use a font management tool called Nexus Font. It allows me to use my fonts, but I don't have to install them.
oooh even better!
Old 10-05-2018, 01:27 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I use a free software called Fontbase - it's amazing! I toss all of my extra, scrapbooking fonts into a folder in MyDocuments. No need to actually install the fonts. Direct Fontbase to that folder. You just activate the font(s) you want to use. Then open your editing program and the font is there. Deactivate the font when you're done. Using Fontbase, now my computer isn't sluggish trying to process all the zillion fonts.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwong View Post
I use a free software called Fontbase - it's amazing! I toss all of my extra, scrapbooking fonts into a folder in MyDocuments. No need to actually install the fonts. Direct Fontbase to that folder. You just activate the font(s) you want to use. Then open your editing program and the font is there. Deactivate the font when you're done. Using Fontbase, now my computer isn't sluggish trying to process all the zillion fonts.
Nice! Thanks for explaining how to use it too!
Old 10-08-2018, 02:56 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

There was never an official answer in the DSD Bingo thread. Will we be able to use layouts we created for DSD on our October Bingo too? Thanks!
Old 10-08-2018, 07:27 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For the paper challenge - Leaf Shape -- does this mean papers only in the leaf shapes or can you use "leafs"?
Old 10-08-2018, 10:48 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneysheryl View Post
There was never an official answer in the DSD Bingo thread. Will we be able to use layouts we created for DSD on our October Bingo too? Thanks!
Yes, you can, as long as they are newly scrapped for this month.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:49 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjr@fuse.net View Post
For the paper challenge - Leaf Shape -- does this mean papers only in the leaf shapes or can you use "leafs"?
You can use the paper leaves that sometimes designers put into the kit, but not those foliage type.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

"Storytelling" can just be telling the story behind the layout, yeah? Or did you have something more formal in mind, i.e., "Once upon a time. . .?"

Old 10-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Just had to give a shout out (to Loni?) for the "Emma" font.
I love it!
I've already used it on non-scrapping projects for work too. Thank you for introducing it!
Old 10-09-2018, 05:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
"Storytelling" can just be telling the story behind the layout, yeah? Or did you have something more formal in mind, i.e., "Once upon a time. . .?"
Whatever that idea inspires you to create
Old 10-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwong View Post
Just had to give a shout out (to Loni?) for the "Emma" font.
I love it!
I've already used it on non-scrapping projects for work too. Thank you for introducing it!
awwww thanks, Heather! I really loved it too
Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a question about square 1: Fall Festivals / Hay rides...

I would consider Dia de los Muertos a fall festival. But with the "hay rides" addition, I'm wondering if it's supposed to be just something like a corn maze carnival or similar?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
I have a question about square 1: Fall Festivals / Hay rides...

I would consider Dia de los Muertos a fall festival. But with the "hay rides" addition, I'm wondering if it's supposed to be just something like a corn maze carnival or similar?

Thanks!
It’s just meant to give additional options/ideas. I Love the Dia se los Muertos idea!!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
It’s just meant to give additional options/ideas. I Love the Dia se los Muertos idea!!
Awesome! Thank you so much, Loni!!
Old 10-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Okay I have a question. My son's field trip to the pumpkin patch has been cancelled due to snow. They think it will be Oct 31, but there's a possibility of them doing another field trip that isn't outdoors since it looks like Winter has come sooner than expected. Since I've never been to a pumpkin patch before I know I don't have any photos to complete this prompt.

What can I do for Fall Festival/Hay Rides?
I'm stumped for ideas?
Old 10-12-2018, 07:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Wendy - is there any school fall festivals where maybe you can get some photos? or any fall craft shows?
Old 10-12-2018, 08:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Question on the Alphabetical -- if I want to do B for birthday is that OK or do we have to do an "A"?
Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Wendy - is there any school fall festivals where maybe you can get some photos? or any fall craft shows?
None that I’m aware that is happening.
They are doing Oktoberfest on post but when their first line of their graphic is “drink responsibly and DD’s are available” I know my husband would frown on me for going since drinking goes against our beliefs.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:59 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Question on the Alphabetical -- if I want to do B for birthday is that OK or do we have to do an "A"?
Pick a letter... any letter you'd like
Old 10-12-2018, 10:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Okay I have a question. My son's field trip to the pumpkin patch has been cancelled due to snow. They think it will be Oct 31, but there's a possibility of them doing another field trip that isn't outdoors since it looks like Winter has come sooner than expected. Since I've never been to a pumpkin patch before I know I don't have any photos to complete this prompt.

I'm stumped for ideas?
I'm a BIG proponent of making the prompt work FOR you not against you. If neither festivals nor excursion events are available/working for you and your family... scrap about a Fall activity that you and your family do enjoy together.

In the end, Bingo prompts are truly meant to help you get more memories with your family/friends scrapped
Old 10-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingovise View Post
I'm a BIG proponent of making the prompt work FOR you not against you. If neither festivals nor excursion events are available/working for you and your family... scrap about a Fall activity that you and your family do enjoy together.

In the end, Bingo prompts are truly meant to help you get more memories with your family/friends scrapped
I figured you were going to say this, but I didn't want you to think I was cheating the game by altering that prompt to fit something our family might do in the fall. Thank you for understanding. I'm really disappointed it snowed here this week and they might not be able to go to the pumpkin patch now.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Question - I know that we can use Amber Shaw's products through the end of the year so I am trying to organize some kits; if the items were a collab with a designer "Kelly Bangs Creative" can it be used as long as Kelly Bangs is still at SSD?

I think the answer is yes but I am not sure.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:20 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Question - I know that we can use Amber Shaw's products through the end of the year so I am trying to organize some kits; if the items were a collab with a designer "Kelly Bangs Creative" can it be used as long as Kelly Bangs is still at SSD?

I think the answer is yes but I am not sure.
Yes, Debbie, so long as the collab partner is still here, then you can still use it to scrap and be counted for the challenge.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:06 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I'm stumped for ideas?
Hi Wendy!

Some places do "fall festival" in place of halloween parties. Do your kids do something at school? Like make an art project of leaves? Nature hike at a park? I was planning to do our trip to the cider mill that has a corn maze, pyramid of hay bales, etc.

or what about an un-fun festival. Go to Oktoberfest, but take pics of them NOT being able to get into beer tents, shaking your fingers at them, schnitzel on a stick instead of a popsicle, have them frowning each time, coming out of a portable potty . . . .

hmmm, I think I might do that. get my kids to associate yucky stuff with beer .....
Old 10-21-2018, 08:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wendy, I think I have some pictures from a corn maze/pumpkin patch last year if you want to scrap those