Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default It's the year of the... (finish this sentence)

...so what was the theme for your Christmas...and what did you get?

It's the year of the pod for us ... quite unintentionally ... lol

The brothers gave their big brother Itunes gift cards for his Ipod...
We gave the middle ds an Ipod alarm clock ...
We gave the youngest ds an Ipod touch ...
The oldest gave me a monopod for my XTi ...
My dh gave me a Gorillapod for my XTi ...

...thus the year of the pod ... lol

What is the funniest gift (if any) that you were given? ...do you have a pic to share?

Every time we pull into the garage I have to ask the kids "am I in?" ... they have to get out and check. The "light" that tells me I am in for the garage door is not at the right height and can't see the bumper. So for a couple of years now I have asked the kids and dh to just install a hanging tennis ball that would touch my windshield to let me know "I am in".

My youngest ds (14) was so tickled about a present he was giving me. He had the camera ready to take pictures when I opened it ... so that in itself intrigued me ... he said "you might not know what it is for a minute..." Hmmm what could it be?? Take a look at my response...

My favorite antenna balls have been from Jack in the Box ... I like them... there aren't any Jack in the Box restaurants in Kansas City so you don't see a lot of the antenna balls ... which helps when you have a green van parked in a parking lot/sea of green vans. He took a Jack in the Box antenna ball, weighted it, and attached a string ... to hang from the ceiling in the garage to touch my window to let me know that "I am in". Imagination! I like it!
Old 12-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Those are the best presents! Thoughtful, practical and he was tickled to have made his mom the gift she really wanted. Great job!

I have celebrated with my dad's side only so far and thus far I have gotten a ton of GCs for restaurants, gas & Wal-Mart. Plus my grandma got me a bunch of really nice towels. I wanted a new bathroom set and she bought the nice stuff, I would have gone for cheap. lol They are gonna feel nice when I get out of the shower.

My ds has been playing all morning with his new trains, cars, drums & Bat Cave. He's in little boy toy heaven today.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i miss Jack in the Box! i dont think we have any in Indiana. we ate there all the time in Texas when we were stationed at Ft. Hood.

my mom once had a tennis ball hanging in the garage so she'd know when she was fully in the garage too.

i didnt get anything from DH. i got him some shirts thats about it. its more about the kids. i had a blast getting their stuff put up. i was up late, but oh well. my mom and brother are coming over later and they have gifts for everyone. i plan on getting them gift cards to the store of their choice, it will just have to wait til next weekend when we get paid again. i'm sure DH will just tell me to go out and get what i want. i'm hoping he'll let me get a Wii and the Wii fit to go with it. it loooks like so much fun. i had a Wii once and we got rid of it. now i want one again, lol.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

It was the year of the video here. Both movies and games.

DH got 2 movies
I got 2 games (DS & Wii)
DS1 got a movie and 3 games (2 Wii & 1 DS
DS2 got a movie and 4 games (3 DS and 1 Wii) plus a DS lite.

Plus DS1 found the Flip video recorder 2 days ago and it has been like living on a reality TV show around here. I think he videoed every second of the gift openings

The funniest would be the Moon Sand. My brother & I have continued our Mom & uncle's tradition of giving one another's kids obnoxious toys. I went with puzzles - lots of little pieces and parents have to help the kids with with them. He sent each of the boys a big thing of Moon Sand

He wins.

Next year I swear I am getting both his girls a set of Boomwhackers.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

year of the nintendo (again) here haha

we got Monopoly Wii and Wii Sports Resort as a family
kids each got a DS game (3 games total)
ds got a wii game

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 12-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We had "Steal A Gift" last night with a $10 limit. Three different people brought blankets. So for us it was the Year of the Blanket. LOL!
Old 12-25-2009, 04:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap2day View Post
We had "Steal A Gift" last night with a $10 limit. Three different people brought blankets. So for us it was the Year of the Blanket. LOL!
Sounds like a warm idea!
Old 12-25-2009, 05:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Year of the grill here...

My hubby got a new gas grill from his dad, which DH knew about since he had to go buy it and put it together... LOL! So I thought it would be cute to get a play grill for 2.5 year old kiddo... sadly, the play grill is so cheep that I'm sending it back and getting the Little Tikes one... but kiddo hasn't know it has "disappeared"...

Also the year of the computer... I tricked my DH into thinking I was buying him a Nook, and instead he got a net computer... I'm also getting a new laptop, has been on order since November and Dell keeps pushing out the ship date... so I'm still waiting... but DH did surprise me with full blown photoshop!!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Year of the grill here...

My hubby got a new gas grill from his dad, which DH knew about since he had to go buy it and put it together... LOL! So I thought it would be cute to get a play grill for 2.5 year old kiddo... sadly, the play grill is so cheep that I'm sending it back and getting the Little Tikes one... but kiddo hasn't know it has "disappeared"...

Also the year of the computer... I tricked my DH into thinking I was buying him a Nook, and instead he got a net computer... I'm also getting a new laptop, has been on order since November and Dell keeps pushing out the ship date... so I'm still waiting... but DH did surprise me with full blown photoshop!!
LOl on the grills. Yep Little Tykes one will prob be a long lasting one ... anything we seemed to buy our younger ones (now 14 & 15 yo) seemed to last through both of them, no matter how hard they played.

Yay on the computers! ... and yay with photoshop!! sweet!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
It was the year of the video here. Both movies and games.

DH got 2 movies
I got 2 games (DS & Wii)
DS1 got a movie and 3 games (2 Wii & 1 DS
DS2 got a movie and 4 games (3 DS and 1 Wii) plus a DS lite.

Plus DS1 found the Flip video recorder 2 days ago and it has been like living on a reality TV show around here. I think he videoed every second of the gift openings

The funniest would be the Moon Sand. My brother & I have continued our Mom & uncle's tradition of giving one another's kids obnoxious toys. I went with puzzles - lots of little pieces and parents have to help the kids with with them. He sent each of the boys a big thing of Moon Sand

He wins.

Next year I swear I am getting both his girls a set of Boomwhackers.
Boomwhackers?? Sounds dangerous. My first thought was those "click clacks" from the 1970's...ended up with bruise marks on my lower arms.

I think it's funny about the Moon Sand...and you should be thankful...he COULD have sent you a couple of "ant farms" with a leak in them.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

...by the way...my ANKLES are WARM...I've been wanting slippers that kept my ankles warm ... and I got 2 pairs!

I also got some sheet protectors for the 12x12" scrapbooks so maybe I can start putting away all those paper scrapped layouts I did years ago that have been on shelves...

...and 2 packages of Bind-it-All spiral rings so I can make some new projects! ...and when we got back from our wonderful-marriage-inspiring-trip-to-walt-disney-world ... I told dh I wanted this as a keepsake memory:

...and here he remembered 7 months later! I am so going to love my gorillapod

...and my monopod that ds got me...
Old 12-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Boomwhackers are not only potentially dangerous but noisy as well

Boomwhackers are brightly colored musical tubes that have won many awards including Best 25 of 25 Years from Parents' Choice.

You can tap them to make music or you can tap (whack) them on things to make music

MWAHHAAAHAAA!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our christmas with the boys was definitely the year of non-video games. After getting tons of wii games and accessories the last 2 years we went old school and non-electronic. The boys gots lots of lego sets, Santa brought egyptian playmobil for the whole family to share and everybody got a cool new board game. It was a nice break from the DS obsession everybody has been having the last few months that I've been on bedrest!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

The year of Star Wars - star wars figures, ships, and legos!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
Boomwhackers are not only potentially dangerous but noisy as well

Boomwhackers are brightly colored musical tubes that have won many awards including Best 25 of 25 Years from Parents' Choice.

You can tap them to make music or you can tap (whack) them on things to make music

MWAHHAAAHAAA!
...ummm like your brother's head???
Old 12-25-2009, 09:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy View Post
Our christmas with the boys was definitely the year of non-video games. After getting tons of wii games and accessories the last 2 years we went old school and non-electronic. The boys gots lots of lego sets, Santa brought egyptian playmobil for the whole family to share and everybody got a cool new board game. It was a nice break from the DS obsession everybody has been having the last few months that I've been on bedrest!
gotta love LEGO!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Hmmm... I don't know that we had a major overal theme here. Tristan got a Wowwee Tribot and a Rocky the Robot Truck, this year. He is obsesssed with robots!

Our youngest, Julian got a Dirt Devil Jr and a toy broom. He loves pretending to clean. He's going to be my neat freak !

::Tabatha::
proud mom to Gabriel {11}, Tristan {10} Julian {6}, Sophie {3}, Lucius {1} & Ezekiel {5.28.14}
Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)
Old 12-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Vickilyn

I will just go with the year of Technology....

I got a new battery for the laptop and a new cordless mouse
My daughter also got a new mouse and a digital camera
We got her boyfriend of MP3 player
My youngest son got the PS2 and LOTS of games to go with it
My middle son wasn't overly electronic - but he did get an electric scooter

And I ordered myself the Nook and it's expected to ship on January 15th! I am PRAYING for an early ship date - I can't wait to get it!
Old 12-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Books and outdoor toys! I received 3 books, the kids a couple of books each, my husband a HUGE book. And DD received a new bike, a pogo stick and DS a scooter.

my blog
Old 12-26-2009, 12:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

gosh, ours was overwhelmingly, the year of the baby.

Both my brother and i had babies this year (the first of the next generation - on both sides) so we have a ridiculous amount of toys, clothes and anything else baby related u can think of. All of our extended family, whom we normally dont exchange gifts with, all came with presents for our babies. And not just one gift. Most people bought the kids two or three presents each. We needed my husbands ute to get all of my kiddos stuff home, and now we need a bigger house to store it all in! lol
Old 12-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovi_girl View Post
gosh, ours was overwhelmingly, the year of the baby.

Both my brother and i had babies this year (the first of the next generation - on both sides) so we have a ridiculous amount of toys, clothes and anything else baby related u can think of. All of our extended family, whom we normally dont exchange gifts with, all came with presents for our babies. And not just one gift. Most people bought the kids two or three presents each. We needed my husbands ute to get all of my kiddos stuff home, and now we need a bigger house to store it all in! lol
Sounds like a very FUN Christmas!! ...but I'm betting it was your brother's WIFE that actually had the baby...
Old 12-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ours was a year of BIG gifts...
A big dollhouse for Marley
A big (as far as price) gift - Xbox 360 Elite bundle for Jaxon
A BIG trampoline for the kids (which we still have to put together-ugh)
A big surprise for me- the kindle (we were not doing gifts this year)
A big pain in the rear- getting a new tv and having to move a big, old school, heavy tube tv out to put the new one in. Thank goodness technology has made them lighter!

Returning from a long scrapping hiatus!
Old 12-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Big Boy Toys!!!

My youngest is finally past the "baby" stage and we can get big boy toys!!!

Evan got TONS of Legos including this set that he's already put together:

Kyle got a bunch of dinosaurs and this (that he LOVES):

DH got computer games, and I got shoes (that I picked out) but really the Legos are my toys too, and I'm pretty taken with the Wall-E too.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to iJenny

This Christmas has been dubbed the Christmas of Legos. Both my boys (ages 7 and 4) are crazy-obsessed with Legos. So, both sides of the family decided that they would get them lego sets.

They each got a big set of Lego PowerMiners (they're so fun!!) and well as two sets of mini-vehicles (the 3-in-ones), a set of space police w/ alien criminal space racers and, the icing on the top of their Lego cake...

TWO sets of Lego BrainStorm nXTs. They are Lego sets combine with fairly advanced robotics that you can build and program. Jeff (DH) and Cameron spent most of the day today teaching their robot how to sing and dance.

creating for
* 9th & Bloom * Jennifer Barrette Designs * Polly & Rufus Designs *

Old 12-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

the year of the Wii.

It took our family a while to catch up with the times, but mom and dad got themselves, my sister's family and us a Wii. And we all went with it and bought games for each other to go with them.

Funniest present was the first aid kit my hubby got me because he knows I am always getting hurt.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It's the year of the Superhero here at our house! My boys are SOOOO into superheros this year! Such a fun boy age!!!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

For Rachel, it was the year of Wall*E...she got the movie, big plush, small action figure, Viewmaster reels, stickers, and a T-shirt.

For hubby, it was the year of video games. He got 5 different ones that Rachel picked out.

For me, I guess it was the year of kitchen stuff, because both Sharon and mom, and my grandma got me stuff for the kitchen. Hubby didn't get me anything
Old 12-28-2009, 02:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJenny View Post
This Christmas has been dubbed the Christmas of Legos. Both my boys (ages 7 and 4) are crazy-obsessed with Legos. So, both sides of the family decided that they would get them lego sets.

They each got a big set of Lego PowerMiners (they're so fun!!) and well as two sets of mini-vehicles (the 3-in-ones), a set of space police w/ alien criminal space racers and, the icing on the top of their Lego cake...

TWO sets of Lego BrainStorm nXTs. They are Lego sets combine with fairly advanced robotics that you can build and program. Jeff (DH) and Cameron spent most of the day today teaching their robot how to sing and dance.
We love the Mindstorms! We got the boys the latest version ... they also have the previous version as well ... this way they have their own robot they can build and program. There are quite a few books out there about building with the Mindstorms ... we have a couple of them.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
For Rachel, it was the year of Wall*E...she got the movie, big plush, small action figure, Viewmaster reels, stickers, and a T-shirt.

For hubby, it was the year of video games. He got 5 different ones that Rachel picked out.

For me, I guess it was the year of kitchen stuff, because both Sharon and mom, and my grandma got me stuff for the kitchen. Hubby didn't get me anything
Make sure you use the spray (i.e. Pam) all over that pan and the divider before you use it ... I love that brownie/coffeecake/breakfast casserole divided pan!! Had to get you one since I loved mine so much.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:44 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

For DH - no particular them - book, cd and new earphones
For me - the year for books... I now own all 7 hp book
my delightful tomboy - the year for Bling. Jewelry and keychains wallet diary and album all very shiny. she also has an afinity for the skull and crossbones at the moment so may things had that motif on it.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It was the year of LEGOS(for the little one), Netbooks(for the teens) and 360/Wii Games (for dad)- I'd like to use the excuse that we went a little overboard because next year Jay will be deployed, but the truth is I LOVE christmas!

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Yup, a legoland Christmas here too (Santa had a loooong Christmas eve setting up the lego garage for the four year old). And an airhog helicopter toy bonanza for the grown up kids (hubby brother and father). They have been racing them around the house for days.
For mummy, it was a Kindle kind of Christmas!!! yayyyy

my sassy blog
Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal Miller View Post
For DH - no particular them - book, cd and new earphones
For me - the year for books... I now own all 7 hp book
my delightful tomboy - the year for Bling. Jewelry and keychains wallet diary and album all very shiny. she also has an afinity for the skull and crossbones at the moment so may things had that motif on it.
Cool on the hp books! I need to get back to reading them with my boys ...
Old 12-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

OMG OMG well our "POD" theme has also been joined by another theme from celebrating Christmas at my mother & stepdad's house!!!!!!!!!!!!! My sister's family gave me a Coca Cola light up sign for my dining room ... it's cool.

...but my parents gave me AND dh EACH $800!!! We were soooooo shocked! I kept looking at the check thinking it said $80 (and was happy for the $)...then I realized the decimal point was not in that spot! .... so at least right now I am seriously thinking about a new camera lens ... but have to really check it out good because I never have that kind of money to spend on my camera!!! Wow...still have to keep checking the check to make sure the decimal point hadn't moved. lol
Old 12-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
Make sure you use the spray (i.e. Pam) all over that pan and the divider before you use it ... I love that brownie/coffeecake/breakfast casserole divided pan!! Had to get you one since I loved mine so much.
I'll probably have to call you to figure out how to use it LOL...the instructions left much to be desired. And LOL, hubby seems to think it means I'll make him brownies more than once every couple of years...told him NOOOO...so he says 'fine, then I'll make them!' Heehee, fine by me, since he eats them all anyway.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It was the year of camping for us -
Each of us got new folding camping chairs
DD's (7 and 11) got sleeping bags, travel games and flashlights
DH got flashlights, a new lantern (with remote), stuff to make the fire glow different colors, a new card game and a french press coffee maker
I got a new fleece blanket to take camping -

It was really the year of jewelry for me - I got a lot of necklaces, earrings and bracelets to wear to work which I'm thrilled about. I'm sure my co-workers and the doctors I visit will be happy to see me wearing something new too! The best gift - a new fan for my computer, he,he Mine keeps breaking and no digiscrapper should ever have a broken computer!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
I'll probably have to call you to figure out how to use it LOL...the instructions left much to be desired. And LOL, hubby seems to think it means I'll make him brownies more than once every couple of years...told him NOOOO...so he says 'fine, then I'll make them!' Heehee, fine by me, since he eats them all anyway.
It's quite easy although watching QVC and picking up on their tips definitely helped. I really really like that pan. Just make whatever in the pan...and put the "sprayed" divider down into the batter...and bake.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by julifish View Post
It was the year of camping for us -
Each of us got new folding camping chairs
DD's (7 and 11) got sleeping bags, travel games and flashlights
DH got flashlights, a new lantern (with remote), stuff to make the fire glow different colors, a new card game and a french press coffee maker
I got a new fleece blanket to take camping -

It was really the year of jewelry for me - I got a lot of necklaces, earrings and bracelets to wear to work which I'm thrilled about. I'm sure my co-workers and the doctors I visit will be happy to see me wearing something new too! The best gift - a new fan for my computer, he,he Mine keeps breaking and no digiscrapper should ever have a broken computer!
Guess we know what you will be doing this year. lol Definitely need the fan for the computer!! that is a necessity!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I almost forgot - It was also the year of the Snuggie!!! I think everyone I know got a snuggie! I also got the divided brownie pan! Thanks for the tip - I was going to make brownies with it later today!

My BLOG & Adventures In Wonderland

Last edited by nonnie; 12-29-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't know.... princesses?? haha! Of course not for dh and i, but with 3 little girls, it's hard not to have little princess toys for all of them!