Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 05-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Who do your kids look like? (PMS moment)

I don't know if it's just me, but today nothing puts a bee in my bonnet like comments about who my kids look like. I used to think it was fun when they were babies, but I'm kind of over it now.

I can see why people say it, I mean, I've said it myself at times. But when I really think about it, it's just strange how surprised people seem that our children look like us?! Or one of us, at least. The most annoying thing is when family gets involved or start chiming in... like my in-laws who NEVER say the kids look like me. The most genetic influence they've ever given me is when they say: "yes, they're a good mix of you both".

I have friends who don't realize it, but constantly identify my children's looks with my husband. It's like a 'thing'. I don't know why, maybe people assume because the children came out of my body that I don't need any further connection... so it's their duty to let me know they look like him (and not, say, the mailman)?

/endrant

Old 05-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It kills me when people say that Zach looks like me. He doesn't. lol The other three, yes, though thankfully not with my small eyes. Zach is a carbon copy of my dad, one of my aunts, and two of my cousins. (Well - minus the coloring. They're all olive toned and dark haired.) The funny thing is that the ONLY person other than me to mention it is my dad's step-mom who proclaims every year that there isn't a bit of me or John in him, that he's all my dad.

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 05-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! I love you, Brookie!

People ALWAYS say that Chloe looks like Jeff. I don't see it at all, but I've had complete strangers come up and say how much she looks like her dad. That always weirds me out.

On the other hand, people have also always said that Kendra looks like me which I don't see either. In fact, I was looking at her baby pics a while back (she's 16 now), and I was surprised at how much she looked like HER dad (my ex).

Some days stuff like that annoys me, too. LOL
Old 05-08-2014, 04:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Who do your kids look like? (PMS moment)

This used to drive me insane, too! DH's family would say all the time how j looked like dh, but just don't see where j would get lighter brown hair... Like my genes could not have mixed in at all!!! Like I was just the baby carrier, or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Nope I love it I love hearing how much my girls look like me
Old 05-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

My oldest actually does look like me, but only because we both look like my dad's family. Our youngest looks like my husband's twin brother. I know it's weird to say that since they are twins... But it is what it is. The one that really gets to me is my step-daughter. People telling her on FB that she looks just like her mom and they say nothing about her daddy.... It makes me fume! She actually looks like her aunt on her mom's side and her aunt on my husband's side, depending on her hair, makeup, etc.
Sigh. I try to keep it held in so I don't upset my husband, lol.

Happily Creating For:

Krystal Hartley ♥ Libby Pritchett ♥ Meghan Mullens ♥ Melissa Bennett

Old 05-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

My boys (all 5 of them) look like their dad - except for my nose. *Everyone* and their brother reminds me all the time. No one ever comments that they look like me.

This thread has me curious to see so I can make my own judgements. lol
Old 05-08-2014, 04:39 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyiadeskins View Post
Nope I love it I love hearing how much my girls look like me
Haha, I wouldn't be complaining if everyone would just stick to the script and say they looked like me. That's how I'm feeling today.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My sister's oldest looks like me - especially when she was younger (she's almost 16 now). When my niece was a baby, I went to visit and my sister and I would be out shopping and running errands and people would see me with the baby and gush about how they didn't know I had a baby, how cute she was, how much she looked like me, blah blah blah - even if my sister was holding her! I would correct them, of course. It was constant, though, because my niece really took after my gene pool hard. One day in the grocery store, someone did the whole, "Jenn! OMG I didn't know you had a baby" thing and my sister lost it. Just lost it. She went totally crazy yelling that it was her baby, how difficult her pregnancy was, and this and that, got in the woman's face, then grabbed my niece out of the cart and stomped off.

So yeah, it's not just you.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I find most people think kids look like the parent they know best, especially since they are looking for similarities or are more likely to notice them. Thankfully, I've never been bothered by it one or the other.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My kids are spitting images of my husband and it doesn't really bug me that they don't look like me. I know some people get really upset that they never get those types of comments, but it's just never bugged me, I don't know. Seriously though, they are all identical to my hubby, haha

Old 05-08-2014, 04:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love it. I also do it frequently though. Rian, my oldest, is my mini-me through and through...looks and personality wise. It's said all the time. I comment when I see a picture I her and it reminds me of me.

My just did this again last night after seeing a picture of my mom and realizing my youngest, Lola, looks just like her! I thought she took after my husband but nope, my mom all the way.

With that though, I'm also told over and over by neighbors and strangers that I look just like my dad...who's really my stepdad! He adopted us so I have his last name but that's it haha! (He also claims my girls get their height from him lol which isn't possible!)

Old 05-08-2014, 04:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm convinced this lil guy is going to come out looking like a mini version of Adam because Adam seriously looks exactly like his dad. They even make some of the same facial expressions and stuff, it's funny. I'm sure he has characteristics of his mom but I couldn't tell you what they are.

I do get how it could get old though. My little sister had blonde hair growing up while my parents, my other sister and I all have dark hair and people would constantly mention it, make the jokes about the mailman/UPS guy or even joke about her being adopted. The sad thing is she's since admitted that when she was little, she used to believe people when they'd mention her being adopted because of her hair! That made me sad, especially since both my mom's brothers were blonde so that's where it came from, people just didn't know that. It's definitely a case where people mean well but don't really think through what they're actually saying or how someone might take it.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Both my sons don´t look like me. Not even a little bit. ;-) But they have my character lol.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I often get told that I look like my younger sister (or well that she looks like me, lol) which we all find humorous. She looks exactly my her grandmother - my step-dad's mom whereas I look like my dad's mom. Though I guess to be technical I apparently look like my dad's great-aunt from what family members say. She supposedly was a red headed, freckly version of my grandmother. lol

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 05-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is funny because we are more likely to associate personality traits or temperament with a particular parent rather than physical characteristics.

That being said, I personally think that physically they are a mix of us both. My oldest had dark blonde hair which is both of us. She has hazel eyes which is again both of us ( I have brown/hazel, Jon has blue). My youngest is blonde blue eyed which is on the surface my husband but my brother and my father and my mother all had blonde hair at one point.

I get more frustrated when people ask if my girls are twins. They 19 months apart and my oldest has about 4-5 inches on her sister.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:07 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Well, out of 3...there's only one of them that (from what I can see) looks anything like me! HA. The other 2 are soo much like their dads family it's scary sometimes. It does kinda annoy me when people tell me how much the other 2 look like their dad, mainly because hes an -insert chosen expletive here- but yea, it's nice on the rare occasion that someones says they can actually see parts of me in them too.. even though they're probably just lying to make me feel better! Ha
Old 05-08-2014, 05:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind it, most of the time people are so... hmmm... amazed/surprised, lol! It becomes funny!

Sometimes, the person making a comment sticks their foot in their mouth.

Example... We headed to Friendly's one night when my oldest was about 2. My Dad and Shayne walked in first, then my mom and I. The hostess looked at Shayne and my DAD, and said (no joke) "Oh Oh, we KNOW who his Daddy is!!!" Then she smiled... My husband, who parked the car, had just come up behind us, and he said "Nope, that's his grandfather!" Her mouth dropped, and she stared, lol! It became comical at that point.

So...

My oldest looks like me - and I look like my Dad (when I'm with him, but look like my mom when I'm with her, lol). BUT... he is a mini me of my father.

My youngest looks like my DH - and his uncles. With a smidge of me in there for his looks - but lots of me personality wise. :P

Last edited by jk703; 05-08-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriesmom View Post
I get more frustrated when people ask if my girls are twins. They 19 months apart and my oldest has about 4-5 inches on her sister.
My sisters and I are 2 years and 3 years apart (so 5 years all together) and my middle sister and I always got the twin thing when we were little but we've also gotten asked if we're triplets...as adults. I think it's mostly because we're all the same height now and obviously look alike but yeah, that was pretty weird. And my sisters don't like it because I'm the oldest and they think it means people think they look old.

Last edited by Nettio; 05-08-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:40 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Three of my four kids look soooo much like Brett's mom's family. Those Jones genes are STRONG!!! All five of the kids in Brett's family look like her side of the family, and my kids do too. Ian is the one who has some of the Davis look in him, so I'm glad that my family is represented in there at least a little bit.

People don't necessarily say that my kids look like Brett, but we do hear a lot how much they look like each other.

We used to get the twins thing with Sean and Ian when they were younger, and I never understood it. They are 22 months apart and, of all my kids, look the least alike. Whatevs.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
My sisters and I are 2 years and 3 years apart (so 5 years all together) and my middle sister and I always got the twin thing when we were little but we've also gotten asked if we're triplets...as adults. I think it's mostly because we're all the same height now and obviously look alike but yeah, that was pretty weird. And my sisters don't like it because I'm the oldest and they think it means people think they look old.
my twin sister & i get asked if we're triplets whenever we're with our mom

i just hope i age as gracefully as she has!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Being adopted, I look nothing like my family, so I love hearing who our kids look like. I know my oldest is a spitting image of me, but my youngest is a mixture of a bunch of people I think. I don't mind it at all - it wonderful to know my blood flows through their veins, and hearing comments about who they look like make me feel all warm & lovey inside lol
Old 05-08-2014, 06:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It surprises me when people say that the kids favor Sean. They all look like me. I've seen a few baby pictures of Sean and they favor him. I don't see it most of the time.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:50 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Just as a disclaimer, so you all don't think I'm a complete b----... haha....

I am just having a PMS moment today, and over the last week I've gotten a lot of comments about Grace looking like DH. So, it just annoyed me today. I'm not typically irate about things like this. Promise.

I do usually LOVE hearing comments about who they look like because I'm just happy they're ours... and I do appreciate the way DH looks so I don't mind the lids looking like him. However, it's annoying when certain people in my family and friends insist and repeatedly comment on who looks like who... especially when they are wrong. haha. My husband and I both agree that Grace looks exactly like I did as a little girl, and Ben is a true mix of the two families although he looks more Aaron & my dad (who I don't really look like) so I understand when people say he looks just like DH.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:03 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

As my oldest son has matured he looks a lot like his dad, and I try to not think about it since that is my ex-husband.

My youngest son looks exactly like my husband. It's funny, like a mini-me of my husband, they have the same mannerisms and everything.

However, there must be some of me in both of them because when I look at baby pictures of them, I have to study them a second to figure out which kid it is. They looked very similar as babies, so that must be my genes.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
I find most people think kids look like the parent they know best, especially since they are looking for similarities or are more likely to notice them. Thankfully, I've never been bothered by it one or the other.
This ^^^^ Everyone at Cheyanne's school will say how much she looks like me and I really think it's because no one ever saw her father plus she has my blond hair. BUT if you put black hair on her she looks so much like her father and her brother it's eerie. My son looks just like their father too except he has my eyes, although his father had blue eyes too. Now my niece (sister's DD) looks a LOT like me.

It's never bothered me though when people talk about it... sometimes I find it interesting to hear the perspectives people have. Everyone always said I looked like my mother but I'm really the image of my father but, again, most people said that because my mom is blond too and my dad is darker.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

it's never really bothered me and the funny thing is my husband and I worked at the same hospital for 3 years and everybody use to joke how much they looked like me and then I would say "have you not seen Matt walking around" LOL! but the funny thing is, I believe out of the 4 of them, Abby is spitting image of me...she looks nothing like her dad and it is obvious....but I think Sam, Ben and Peyton look exactly like Matt as a baby, but it's so funny when people say that they ALL look like me, becuase I don't see it LOL!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

What bugs the CRAP out of me is that people always get it wrong. they ASSUME that Karsten looks just like Patrick because of the darker coloring/eyebrows, when really, other than those two things, he's my clone.

Josiah, on the other hand, is a light colored, thin eye browed clone of Patrick. But no one ever sees it.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Old 05-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is really weird. I have identical twin girls. Very few people in the world can even tell them apart. However, of those that can, each and every one says that Ava looks like me and Ella looks like DH. When I look at Ava I can totally see myself in her. I feel like I'm looking back in time at myself. However, I've never even remotely felt that way about Ella. Isn't that strange? It actually makes me feel sad sometimes because I feel almost like I can't relate to her as well as I relate to Ava. Strange but true.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSheri View Post
That's what I think, too. A few people who know me much better have told me that Ben looks just like me, but I think they must be looking at the wrong kid, LOL. The one and only thing he got from me was his curly hair and even the color is different than mine. He's all DH. As for the other 2, Lauren looks like DH's mother and Jason looks like my father and brother. I take after my mother more, so none of the kids looks like me that much. I really don't care at all.

But you know what does bother me? When you have a newborn and family members obsess about who they look like. Umm...they look squishy and swollen and not like anyone at all. A few months later, sure, but not at birth. Why are people so hung up on that?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

People never really comment about whether my boys look like me or my husband - probably because (in my opinion)they are a mix. However, I'm often asked if they are twins - but they're nearly two years apart and don't look at all alike - except the younger one is almost as tall as the older one.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:52 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My daughter looks a lot like me, but my son doesn't look like either of us. Yet everyone insists he looks just like my hubby. I don't see it. Drives me crazy sometimes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gallery
Old 05-09-2014, 03:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Six months ago my father in law passed away. My baby was only two weeks old and someone saw me walking with Cole (my 4 year old). It was a guy my husband works with. He said you can tell who his daddy is. Before I even thought about it I said, I would hope so! I totally blame it on the stress and hormones. However, I am normally like that regardless lol!

IMO Cole looks like me and Cade looks like his Daddy. Cole has dark hair and eyes. Cade is blonde with blue eyes. Yet, everyone says they both look like their Daddy. We shall see
Old 05-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Noah has my colours (eyes and hair) but other than that he looks like his dad.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

In a shoe store once I overheard a man at the end of the aisle say "you must be their (pointing at my children who were playing with a little display) daddy, they look just like you". As I rounded the corner he turned and said "oh my gosh! YOU have got to be their mom!" then went on to say how they are both such a perfect mixture of the two of us. He said he had never saw children look so much like their parents in that way. It surprised me at the time.

When DD was born she looked nothing like me. She had curls and hazel eyes and that's the closest she got to looking anything like me. She didn't look like her dad either. She looked like my step-son. She was almost identical to his newborn photo. In fact, several people thought the newborn photo of him WAS her.

As she grew, her eyes turned brown and her brown hair turned red, then settled back to a reddish brown. She really looked like my niece (on my husband's side). Some of their toddler pictures are hard to tell apart.

When my son came along, I couldn't make out why he looked like at all. The first time my IL's saw him they said he looks just like my husband. It took a while before I could see it, but he does look like his dad. He has red hair, freckles and my pale skin but the rest of him is all his dad. My daughter has her dad's coloring and eyes and looks like him in a lot of other ways. Every now and then I see a little glimpse of myself in her though.

I don't mind that they don't look like me. I know they are mine, that's all that counts.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son looks a lot like me. He has my eyes and seems to have the build from my side of the family. When he was born he had a pile of red hair just like my DH. That all fell out and his hair came in the color of mine. He does still have some reddish undertones in it if he's been in the sun.

My Dad always said (referring to infidelity) " Babies have to look like their Daddy at birth, otherwise they get left on mountain tops!"

Last edited by kristijoy; 05-09-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:42 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I know that my kids are mine duhhh and yes they all look like their dad except Gio my 11yr old he has all the traits of my side of the family!! It bothers him when they(inlaws) say OMG he doesn't look like his dad & I just say yeah b/c he's on the hot and gorgeous side of the family to shut them up!
Old 05-10-2014, 01:50 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My oldest son looks like my mom (with my personality).

My younger son looks like me (with a mix of his dad and grandpa personality wise).

My baby totally looks like DH's family. (Can't tell yet on her personality...but she's a really happy baby...)
Old 05-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter looks a lot like me and really did as a small child, too. She and my son are definitely a matched set when you see them together but I don't really think he looks a lot like me. There must be enough of a resemblance because everyone always says they look like me.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

This bugs me, too! My son looks exactly like me only he has darker hair, eyes and skin coloring which his dad also has, so people will say he looks like him, but as children I was much darker while his dad was much lighter. He looks like me. Personality-wise, he is like his dad though.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cody looks a lot like his dad, but he also looks a lot Jenna. Which is weird cause they do not share the same father. Everyone says Jenna is a mini-me. Xander & Quinten look just like Des, which works for me.

Sonja ~ tuneskids

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Seth definitely looks like Tim but the other boys look more like me.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

My kids look so much alike, I'm sure I'll be getting twins comments when they get older and you can't tell their age apart so much (they're really close in age too). They both look really like DH... the only ones who said DD looks like me are those who've held me as a baby. Apparently, she looks like me when I was small.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

oh brook :-D you know, be happy that they identify them with dh, because it would be much more painful if he was left out of the equation all the time. meaning: maybe he wasn't even involved in making them in the first place. i've seen that happen and even if i am not a parent, it just freaks me out ;-)
Old 05-15-2014, 10:09 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

and btw... your daugther looks JUST LIKE YOU!!! :-D