Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-15-2022, 03:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default How do you feel about carpeting?

According to the Internet, Millenials and Gen-X hate carpeting. I am Gen-X and, sure enough, I have over time eradicated all of the wall-to-wall carpeting that was in our house when we moved in. I'd say the house was 75% wall to wall carpet -- it was even in the bathroom! It's been replaced with wood floors, tile and area rugs.

On the other hand, our house is a ranch, so we don't have to worry about people clomping around on the floors above us.

How do you feel about carpeting these days? Do you like it? Do you hate it? Do you have any? Do you think it'll come back into style?
Old 03-15-2022, 04:18 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i'm not a Millennial or a Gen-Xer but I hate it! I don't have any in my house. I have a couple of area rugs, which help with the sound.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Gen-x here, and I hate it. It's impossible to keep clean and just looks tired and dated after a while. We had all hardwood at our previous home, but this one has a lot of carpet upstairs and new floors are not high on the priority list right now. Because, roof.

Old 03-15-2022, 04:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I remember carpet, and in so many ways I do miss it. I miss the thick cushy comfy feel of it. Area rugs will never feel that way. I remember choosing to sit on the floor on the carpet as a kid instead of the couch. I grew up with neat freaks so our carpet was nice. I had friends with gross carpet. So keep in mind- my carpet memories are based on that LOL. My parents were fastidious about cleaning and keeping the carpet vacuumed and we weren't allowed to wear shoes inside or EVER eat in any room except the kitchen because we had carpeting throughout the house.

I know that NOT having carpet means I'm able to be more relaxed about the dog's paws and the kids' friends when they are over because we have tile, hardwoods and area rugs. I do like the way tile and wood looks better than carpet. But deep down I'd love a family room with wall to wall carpeting where you can sit on the floor and play a board game without your butt going numb. haha There's just something cozy and sentimental about it.

Old 03-15-2022, 05:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
I remember carpet, and in so many ways I do miss it. I miss the thick cushy comfy feel of it. Area rugs will never feel that way. I remember choosing to sit on the floor on the carpet as a kid instead of the couch. I grew up with neat freaks so our carpet was nice. I had friends with gross carpet. So keep in mind- my carpet memories are based on that LOL. My parents were fastidious about cleaning and keeping the carpet vacuumed and we weren't allowed to wear shoes inside or EVER eat in any room except the kitchen because we had carpeting throughout the house.

I know that NOT having carpet means I'm able to be more relaxed about the dog's paws and the kids' friends when they are over because we have tile, hardwoods and area rugs. I do like the way tile and wood looks better than carpet. But deep down I'd love a family room with wall to wall carpeting where you can sit on the floor and play a board game without your butt going numb. haha There's just something cozy and sentimental about it.
LOL, that's a great description and I know what you mean. I think having dogs makes a big difference. Plus, I feel like anybody who has carpets these days, has basically light beige or white carpet which shows everything. Back in the day, you were allowed to have other colors.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:30 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

As a boomer and having lived in this house when it was all carpet, I rather dislike it.

I had the 1970's orange carpet removed from the living room, dining room and hall in 2003. Also had the indoor outdoor carpeting that was in the kitchen taken out at that time. All of this covered the original hardwood that my parents had put in when they built the house in 1964. My dad suggested that instead of refinishing the hardwood that I put in laminate so I did. That laminate was replaced in 2017 with waterproof laminate which is great with having a dog.

I kept the carpet in the bedrooms (installed in early 90's) until 2017. I put the same waterproof laminate in these 3 rooms as well. So I have absolutely no carpet in my ranch style house at all.

Biggest benefit for me is that I can see the dust and since I'm allergic to it, I can get it out of there right away. The amount of dust that builds up in carpet is horrible. I use a regular old dust mop and have a robot vacuum to keep things clean. I can do quick mopping of spots if needed and the cleaning lady does a real good mopping once a month.

I have some cheap throw rugs in the bedroom next to the bed. I also have a couple in the bedroom that is used as an office. They can be washed if the dog makes a mess on them. I also have 2 Ruggable rugs, one in the kitchen and one in the foyer at the front door. Love that they can be washed if the dog makes a mess.

I still have the allergies but my problems are not as bad as when I had all that carpet. My personal choice is to never have carpet again. Also much easier to make decorating changes with throw rugs... can switch colors easily
Old 03-15-2022, 05:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think I'm genX? I like carpet in the living areas and prefer wood/tile/linoleum in places like the kitchen and bathroom. We have a darker brown carpet in our living room and bedrooms/hall and I like it. It does not show dirt and keeps our feet so much warmer. Our living room and one bedroom are over an unheated garage so there is no way we'd survive without carpet.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I go back and forth on carpet all the time. I prefer the feel of carpet in Livingroom's and bedrooms, much nicer to wake up to something warm and cozy under foot than a hard cold surface, (also, I never liked the idea of my kids sitting or playing on a hard surface when on the floor).... but am not 'in love' with the look of carpet. I much prefer vacuuming over sweeping, but I'm also a tech girl and would love to be able to have a roomba to do the work for me lol I think wood floors take the lead in the debate when it comes to how much easier it is to clean in the event of someone getting sick / animal mess / someone wearing their shoes and tracking lord knows what on to a carpet *gag*. Tile isn't even in the running.... I personally don't like the look/feel and most importantly how fragile they can be.
Old 03-15-2022, 07:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE carpet, but that's probably because we don't have it in Asia.

It feels so soft and happy on my feet. And you don't have to clean it every day like I do tile. Though I will admit that potty training on tile floors is significantly easier than potty training on carpet!
Old 03-15-2022, 08:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
As a boomer and having lived in this house when it was all carpet, I rather dislike it.

I had the 1970's orange carpet removed from the living room, dining room and hall in 2003. Also had the indoor outdoor carpeting that was in the kitchen taken out at that time. All of this covered the original hardwood that my parents had put in when they built the house in 1964. My dad suggested that instead of refinishing the hardwood that I put in laminate so I did. That laminate was replaced in 2017 with waterproof laminate which is great with having a dog.

I kept the carpet in the bedrooms (installed in early 90's) until 2017. I put the same waterproof laminate in these 3 rooms as well. So I have absolutely no carpet in my ranch style house at all.

Biggest benefit for me is that I can see the dust and since I'm allergic to it, I can get it out of there right away. The amount of dust that builds up in carpet is horrible. I use a regular old dust mop and have a robot vacuum to keep things clean. I can do quick mopping of spots if needed and the cleaning lady does a real good mopping once a month.

I have some cheap throw rugs in the bedroom next to the bed. I also have a couple in the bedroom that is used as an office. They can be washed if the dog makes a mess on them. I also have 2 Ruggable rugs, one in the kitchen and one in the foyer at the front door. Love that they can be washed if the dog makes a mess.

I still have the allergies but my problems are not as bad as when I had all that carpet. My personal choice is to never have carpet again. Also much easier to make decorating changes with throw rugs... can switch colors easily
I have a ruggable in our family room. It's great since I have dogs and a spill-prone hubby. My only objections is that the edges turn up which drives me a little crazy.
Old 03-15-2022, 08:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
I go back and forth on carpet all the time. I prefer the feel of carpet in Livingroom's and bedrooms, much nicer to wake up to something warm and cozy under foot than a hard cold surface, (also, I never liked the idea of my kids sitting or playing on a hard surface when on the floor).... but am not 'in love' with the look of carpet. I much prefer vacuuming over sweeping, but I'm also a tech girl and would love to be able to have a roomba to do the work for me lol I think wood floors take the lead in the debate when it comes to how much easier it is to clean in the event of someone getting sick / animal mess / someone wearing their shoes and tracking lord knows what on to a carpet *gag*. Tile isn't even in the running.... I personally don't like the look/feel and most importantly how fragile they can be.
I live in AZ where it's warm 95% of the time so tile is one of the main flooring materials used here. Our porcelain tile, which imitates natural stone, has held up really well to the dogs and drops and general wear and tear. None have ever broken -- a few very small chips where we've dropped something heavy. But, I don't think I'd want it if I lived in Nova Scotia.
Old 03-15-2022, 09:05 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm Gen-X and have mixed feelings on carpet. I hate it in the first floor of the house. We had our chipped tile (in the kitchen) and disgusting, dirty carpet (throughout the rest of the main level) taken out in 2017 and replaced it all with a wood-look luxury vinyl plank. It looks so much nicer and is so much easier to keep clean now. We still have carpet in the bedrooms, and we need to replace it. We haven't figured out yet if we'll go for carpet again or not. Even though I like the feel of it in bedrooms, it traps dirt and dust and is never truly clean. (Not that I vacuum as often as I should, so there's that, too.) I'd be perfectly happy not to have carpet in the bedrooms, but my kids and probably DH are going to want it.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love carpeting on the stairs and in bedrooms... all the bedrooms are on the second story. It helps with sound and it just feels nice when you get outta bed in the morning. That being said, two of the kid rooms now have flooring. We did one years ago for our daughter with asthma. She wanted it. And last month we just did another room with flooring.
I do love carpet in the family/living room, especially when the kids were little. Fun to sit n cuddle or play games with them. When I started our day care, I took the carpet out of the formal living room (this became the playroom) and put in an area rug (easy to replace in case of, well, messy nasty things that sometimes happen with littles) But it makes this room feel colder, so when day care is retired and this becomes a living room again, I would like cozy carpet again.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 03-15-2022, 11:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My house does not have any carpeting except in my oldest's bedroom in the basement. I'm assuming that when we finish the basement, we will carpet it as well. I don't have strong feelings either way about carpeting but since we are planning on getting a dog, I won't be carpeting any more of the house.

My parents (who would be considered Boomers) have always had wall-to-wall carpeting (a bathroom in an old house even had carpeting!) in all of their houses including their current one.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I like it in the bedrooms for the warmth on my feet when I first get up, but am not wild about it overall.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We're in the process of rebuilding our house due to a fire, and this was a point of contention between my boyfriend and me. I'm not a big fan of carpet, but my boyfriend feels all the bedrooms should have carpet since he hates the feeling of a cold floor on bare feet (which I sort of understand). We ended up doing tile in the bathrooms, sun room, and laundry room; carpet in the bedrooms; and hardwoods throughout the rest of the house.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:55 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We have carpet in the bedrooms and hallway. I do like having carpet underfoot in the bedroom. It feels cozier and it's definitely quieter. The rest of the house is wood or tile. The tiles floors all have in-floor radiant heat, so they feel wonderful underfoot (otherwise I hate tile.) There's an area rug under the couch and kitchen table. I could do away with that one, but hubby wants to keep it there. I must say, I like the ease of our wood floors. Between my roomba and my swiffer, they're super easy to keep clean.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

GenX - I loathe carpeting - in our house, only the steps to the basement have carpeting. Initially it was pulled out to put in hardwoods because of Hubby and Kiddo's asthma. Now I just love not to have to deal with it... give me a an area rug any day!
Old 03-16-2022, 02:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm a Boomer. The homes I grew up in did not have carpet, so I really like carpet. DH did, and he still likes carpet. We both loathe tile. I don't like how cold it is, even in the summer, and the grout gets nasty pretty quickly - I've seen other people's homes. Our house has carpet throughout except the kitchen, breakfast nook, laundry room and bathrooms. We really need to replace everything. I would love wood flooring/laminate in the den.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:37 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have replaced all the carpet and most of the linoleum in my house. I did replace the carpet with new carpet in the bedrooms and basement family room. The rest went to wood and tile. I still need to do the bathrooms at some point. I don't hate it, but I don't want it in my living room.

Last edited by lovely1m; 03-16-2022 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:02 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

People have asked me about my laminate, commenting how it must be cold. It really isn't even with a basement underneath the whole house. When I thought about it, I realized that there is the sub-flooring then the hardwood from when the house was built. On top of the hardwood is another padding layer then the laminate. So essentially lots of insulation

The bathroom is another story since it has always been tile and only has the 2 layers. That can get chilly.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I love carpet. Almost every house in New Zealand (besides the very expensive ones) will have carpet in all but the kitchen, bathroom, toilet and laundry. A big reason for that is that we don't have central heating like I think a lot of US homes do, and underfloor heating is very expensive too. It gets cold here in the winter, and the carpet helps insulate the house. If you walk into a house that doesn't have carpet in the living areas here, you automatically think "Whoa, they're rich!"
Old 03-16-2022, 05:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We have carpet in our front room and family room downstairs, our stairs and all the rooms and hallway upstairs. We have a laminate wood in our kitchen, dining room, downstairs bath & laundry room. We replaced all our flooring about 10 years ago (replacing old dated linoleum and blue - yes blue - carpeting). I love the feel of carpet in the bedrooms. Now that we don't have little kids playing on the floors downstairs, I might be more open to having the whole downstairs in wood. However, we do have a baby grand piano in our front room and I'm not sure how loud that would be with wood floors vs carpet. I don't see us replacing our flooring any time soon. I would say homes in our area are fairly split between all wood in living areas & carpet/wood in living areas. I don't see many with bedrooms that are all wood. Tile (other than in bathrooms) isn't really much of a thing here - probably because of our cool winters.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like wood or good LVP. My kitchen and powder room are wood, with Ruggable rugs (the top layer can be washed). We renovated our main bathroom last year and we did use large slate(look) tiles with radiant heat underneath, and I've been very happy with those. I prefer carpeting (or minimum very large area rug in bedrooms) - so much warmer and cozier. Our carpets get washed every 6 months - they are off white. I actually find that super easy to maintain - hydrogen peroxide cleans very well (even when we had cats years ago and with a dog now). We don't wear shoes inside. When we had small children we put carpet in the basement and family room - which worked very well for us. Like others have said. We have not had issues with stains.

Last edited by norton94; 03-16-2022 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:25 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Gen X. Love it, we put it in all bedrooms, office, & media room at our new house.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm Gen-X. I have mixed feelings about the carpet/no carpet debate. Most homes I've lived in over the years have had carpet in every room except kitchen and bathrooms. We lived in 2 homes that had original hardwood floors.

Basically, I love the look of a laminate or hardwood floor, but hate the upkeep. We have pets. We will always have pets. The amount of hair that ended up blowing across the floor on a daily basis was insane (and this was when we had less pets than we do now)! The carpet collects hair as well but it is more evenly spread out and isn't blowing across the floor in clumps. We also have a dog that freaks out if his feet touches a slick surface. I mean, he will take a flying leap and jump 10 feet across the dining room to avoid the laminate floor if the runner isn't in place. Our carpet is OLD (original to the house built in '79) but it is in decent shape still and I don't foresee getting rid of it while we still have Peanut. He's about 5, so it could be another 10 years or so.

We are putting in a floating floor in the basement. We ripped out the gold and orange shag carpet from in there and it is just cement right now but the flooring is in the garage ready to be put down. Once we move my son downstairs I will rip the carpet out of his old bedroom upstairs and that will be my office/craft room. I think I'll do a laminate flooring in there. I don't expect Peanut will be going in there often. He doesn't go in there now.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:11 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

We had lots of carpet in our house when we moved in. I like it and think it's cozy. We did remove the carpet in our living room about 5 years ago because it was badly stained by kids and pets and found hardwood underneath, so we just refinished the hardwood. I do miss the cozy feel of the carpet, but the hardwood looks so much better. I think we will always keep carpet in our bedroom and family room, but otherwise we have wood and tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. When my kids move out I will burn the nasty carpet in their rooms and will refinish the hardwood that is underneath and then add area rugs.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen_ View Post
We had lots of carpet in our house when we moved in. I like it and think it's cozy. We did remove the carpet in our living room about 5 years ago because it was badly stained by kids and pets and found hardwood underneath, so we just refinished the hardwood. I do miss the cozy feel of the carpet, but the hardwood looks so much better. I think we will always keep carpet in our bedroom and family room, but otherwise we have wood and tile in the kitchen and bathrooms. When my kids move out I will burn the nasty carpet in their rooms and will refinish the hardwood that is underneath and then add area rugs.
I really think area rugs are a great compromise. You can get a nice area rug for warmth and comfort. You can get them relatively cheap these days, they can be cleaned and then after a few years when they get grubby, I just get a new one. Ruggables are a nice idea and I do have one that I like but they are definitely not as comfy as a nice thick area rug.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:45 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
I really think area rugs are a great compromise. You can get a nice area rug for warmth and comfort. You can get them relatively cheap these days, they can be cleaned and then after a few years when they get grubby, I just get a new one. Ruggables are a nice idea and I do have one that I like but they are definitely not as comfy as a nice thick area rug.
But Ruggables are great if you have a dog that likes to poop in front of a door instead of letting you know they need to go out. I had to wash my first one I got 3 days after I put it down. But in her defense, turns out she had an UTI that was messing with her.

And, since I can't physically get down on a floor any more (can't get up if I do), comfy rugs aren't a big deal.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
But Ruggables are great if you have a dog that likes to poop in front of a door instead of letting you know they need to go out. I had to wash my first one I got 3 days after I put it down. But in her defense, turns out she had an UTI that was messing with her.

And, since I can't physically get down on a floor any more (can't get up if I do), comfy rugs aren't a big deal.
I agree! now that I don't have kids who play on the floor but do have dogs, having a washable rug definitely takes precedence.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate it but didn't mind it when the kids were little bc it buffered the noise some. Now that they are older I want to rip it all out. Despite cleaning it regularly there are stains from the previous owner that seep out eventually.
Hubby likes it, hates the hard floor on his feet and would prefer carpet in bedrooms at least. We are looking to replace the carpet in main areas soon. Our foyer, bathrooms and kitchen are tile.