Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Amazon Student and Amazon Mom

I'm probably the last to know this, but just in case....

Amazon Student gets you Amazon Prime free for 6 months (without the instant videos), but then for $39 a year you can get the full Prime. You have to have a student email address (ending in .edu), but this sounds like a great deal! I'll have college kids for another 10 years. We ordered books from Amazon for my college son this past year and will do that more often if we get this.

Also, Amazon Mom is 3 months of the Prime shipping.

So, does anyone have Amazon Prime for instant videos and do you use it?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just ended a year of free Prime shipping with Amazon Mom. You originally get 3 months, but certain purchases extend your benefits. We buy a ton of stuff there! We didn't get instant videos, but I would like to try it sometime.

My DH now has Prime through his brother - apparently, you can share it with one other person.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

You can share, but the sharee gets none of the benefits of instant video or kindle borrowing, etc. But the free 2-day shipping rocks!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're considering signing up for it since this year we've spent almost the equivalent in shipping costs.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes, you can share your Amazon Prime with upto 5 family members. I have 2 of my neices and a sister on my account. They don't get free TV or benefits of loaned Kindle books, but they do get free shipping. Totally worth it if you can do it as a group buy within family. Or just make it as your Christmas gift! Add them to your plan as your gift!

We recently started watching Amazon's instant videos after getting Roku, but the main reason I never got into watching it on my computer was they don't have the selection that I would watch. Much of their stuff is geared towards Sci-fi or the movies that I'm not interested in.

ETA: I should look into Amazon student account. My daughter did get free membership this year because she started her college. But I thought it was just one year deal. Didn't realize that it's 50% off for later on.

Last edited by ripal; 12-09-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I did the Amazon Mom this year, starting about a month ago. It surprises me what does and doesn't count to extend the shipping. I bought lots of the kids' holiday gifts there, and only a few counted. Now I need to order a new thermometer and some baby gifts (toys and books), and only a couple count. So it's a great deal since it's free, but I'd be curious to know how long most people get extended to. I'd be surprised if I get more than 6 months.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I did the Amazon Mom this year, starting about a month ago. It surprises me what does and doesn't count to extend the shipping. I bought lots of the kids' holiday gifts there, and only a few counted. Now I need to order a new thermometer and some baby gifts (toys and books), and only a couple count. So it's a great deal since it's free, but I'd be curious to know how long most people get extended to. I'd be surprised if I get more than 6 months.
I agree, I had it for about 5 months and then I just couldn't find anything I needed that qualified to keep the minimum purchase requirements. Neither of my kids are in diapers, etc ... and most of the qualifying items are for young children (babies and toddlers).
Old 12-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
We mostly got ours extended for purchasing diapers, but we got at least 3 months extra for a silly remote control helicopter that my DH and FIL bought for my BIL last Christmas. I had no idea until I went into our account and saw that!
Old 12-09-2011, 04:16 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Yep. Diapers. And wipes. We were able to extend ours for a year as well.