Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Help with a stray dog

I've seen a stray dog on my way to work twice now in the last week. The first time I saw it, I was not in the position to stop, but I promised myself if I saw her again I would try to catch her and get her help, either by bringing her home until I can find her a family or by calling the humane society. I just can't stand the thought of her being hit and killed as the street I see her on is a major highway.

When I saw her today, I followed her into an industrial parking lot and did my best to catch her. A man who was working offered me some of his lunch, apparently they have been feeding her for a week now, and while she would come close enough to take the food and allow me to touch and stroke her ears, if I moved my hand back to her body, she growled or cried and ran away. Then I would have to coax her back. It is apparent that she has recently had pups and is nursing, but she is also starving to death. In the end I could not get her, and once she had ate her fill, she took off. I feel so stupid, but I was afraid to try to grab her in case I hurt her or she hurt me because she was scared.

I came home and called the human society with her location only to be told that they do not go pick up a dog unless someone is there with said dog. I offered to go back after work tomorrow and meet them to pick her up and try to find the pups. They said they did not go on pick ups after 4 p.m. I am going to call the company where the workers have been feeding her and ask them to contact the human society about her and hopefully have some one come out to get her. If that doesn't work I am going to go back tomorrow and see if I can catch her to bring her home. I don't need another dog, but I can't bear the thought of her suffering.

Now my son says I should not catch her or call the company to have the human society get her because of the pups. He says they will die without her. I don't know what to do. If she gets hit by a car they will die anyway. Heck, I don't know if they are even still alive, she is obviously starving so they could already be dead. I think I should still try to save her if I can because at least she will live, but I don't know that I am right or how to catch her. Does anyone have any advice what so ever as to what I should do? How do I go about catching her in a humane manner that won't hurt her if she is already injured or sore because of the pups? And how do I find the pups? She is just a little thing, looks like a Chihuahua mix and it breaks my heart. When I was feeding her and petting her head, she was crying. I didn't know dogs could cry.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Lorie... how would you go about finding the pups? I'm just curious if you have any ideas. Do you think they are nearby?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I found this... it might be helpful: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2151701AAQ1BbM

Old 09-26-2012, 10:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Lorie... how would you go about finding the pups? I'm just curious if you have any ideas. Do you think they are nearby?
I haven't a clue and I don't think they are in the immediate area, cause once she ate her fill she was off and running with a purpose in mind. She is not wandering like many lost dogs will do. The man who gave me his lunch says she comes there from across the highway about three times a day looking for food. They are giving her vending machine crap but she is obviously starving. I could really slap them for not calling the human society.

I did go across the highway to see if I could spot her, but we are talking corn country here, and once she hit the field, she was gone. I am so scared I am going to see her by the side of the road in the morning. I probably should have just grabbed at her what ever the consequences.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Well, my link suggests following the dog... but you certainly don't want to be crossing a highway or trespassing on someone's farmland. You could get shot.

The only thing I can think of is... save one dog? Or possibly save none?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
I found this... it might be helpful: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2151701AAQ1BbM
Thanks Brook, I put a leash and some food in my car earlier tonight just in case I see her tomorrow. I am also going to add some water and a dish. If the human society won't go out, I am going to do my best to catch her.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

i'd take a box or laundry basket too in case you find the pups. She might lead you to them. I think if you feed her she might trust you and show you where they are. I'd also consider taking some can food instead of dry food. The food will stick to her and help her feel full.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Good ideas Meg. Thanks. I also thought about taking my Loki to see if another dog would attract her but I think that could backfire.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure what the outcome was for you, but if you haven't caught her yet, please keep one thing in mind...she's a mom with a litter of pups and a mother's instincts. Even if you do catch her she may run off in search of her pups which could put her in an even more dangerous situation.
A very difficult decision and I wish you the best outcome.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have not caught her nor have I seen her in three days. I am worried but hoping for the best.