Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm
Default dog supplies shopping and advice needed!

My little pup is still months away from coming home with us, but I'm wanting to start looking for supplies. I have not had a dog since I was a child, so I'm needing all sorts of recommendations on everything pretty much! I have been researching dog foods and I already have in mind the brand I'm interested in. But other than that, I'm at a blank on what brands and what items are good.

Here is a list of items that I came up with, but I don't know if it's complete and what brands to even look at. I pretty much just modified a list for pregnant moms. LOLOLOLOL

dog bed for family room
travel carrier for going to vet/puppy class (?)
wire crate
pad for inside wire crate
collar
harness
leash
i.d. tag
baby gates
first aid supplies for dogs (?)
toys
puppy potty pads (?)
treats for training
water and food bowls
storage bin for food
scoop for food
flea and tick medicine (?)
brush
comb
shampoo
nail clippers
dental products
stain and odor remover spray
pooper scooper
potty bags for walks
rawhide treats / bully sticks?

and once I have items in mind... where are the best places to shop? I have a PetCo and a Pet Smart in town, and I also have a Coastal Supply. I know Coastal has the dog food for a good price. I'm looking for online places to buy stuff too. Any recommendations??

Thanks fellow dog lovers!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't answer this, Julie, but just wanted to say I was in Petsmart today and in came a dog just like the one you are getting. So pretty!!!

OK...carry on....
Old 02-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

We feed our dog this:

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com...anine_formula/

She loves it. It is a little cheaper online apparently. We pay a little over 40 dollars for a really big bag which lasts about 3 months. So it is like 15 dollars a month for dog food.

We got ours a crate but barely use it unless someone is coming over and she needs to calm down before seeing them when they come inside. She gets really excited and will lick someone to death LOL.

Got a harness type leash and a regular leash. She chews on the leashes still if we leave them down even when I got the heavier ones. So we just have to remember to put them up.

We bought puppy pads but she trained so fast we did not really use them. You might need them but I think you should see how the dog does on training before you use them. Ours only had a few accidents and it was always on tile not on any rugs so easy to chean up.

She loves toys but they are kinda hit or miss which ones she will like. Stuffed animals are her favorites.

Thats all I can think of right now. Oh youll defenitely need one of these unless you plan on cutting her fur down. It really helps with the shedding for long fur dogs:

http://ca-en.hagen.com/Dog/Grooming/...ng-Tools/91250
Old 02-10-2012, 01:01 AM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
I can't answer this, Julie, but just wanted to say I was in Petsmart today and in came a dog just like the one you are getting. So pretty!!!

OK...carry on....
that doesn't surprise me because Journey (the mama dog) is actually from Arizona. My breeder got her in Arizona and brought her to Washington. From what I understand, there are a couple really wonderful breeders of American Eskimo dogs down in Arizona.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Wow, that's a comprehensive list! I found that my puppy loved tiny little BillJac treats -- they are nice and small so they're good for training puppies (although don't give too many at first or you can upset his tummy). We've had our "puppy" for a year and a half now and have not had to use flea stuff, so you might hold off on that til you need it.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've never used puppy pads... so I don't really think they are needed. Maybe wait and see?

But I can't stress how important a crate is- especially when potty training. I would get a smaller travel one for the puppy and then a bigger wire one when its potty trained. Puppies will potty in the corner of their crate if it's too big. I will never have a dog that isn't crate trained. That's where Justice spends his nights. He seriously prefers to sleep in their. It's just like his cave.

I would also hold off on tick/flee medication until you absolutely need it. I might also hold off on the puppy bed. Justice got one when he was twelve weeks old and destroyed it. We waited about six months and bought him another one. It was soon ripped apart. He will be two on V-Day and hubby and I were talking the other day about buying one more and seeing if he wouldn't destroy it. He has several old blankets in his crate that he sleeps with and seems content.

I'm excited to see puppy pictures!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My sister has nothing to say about this place when she orders her bully sticks - I personally don't know anything about bully sticks as my dog couldn't care less, but she's got a puppy & a rave review!

http://bestbullysticks.com/

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 AM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
My sister has nothing to say about this place when she orders her bully sticks - I personally don't know anything about bully sticks as my dog couldn't care less, but she's got a puppy & a rave review!

http://bestbullysticks.com/
thanks for the link! I'm not really sure about bully sticks, but the Dog Whisperer really recommends them. The whole idea of them just makes me shudder. LOL (You do know what they are right?)
Old 02-10-2012, 11:36 AM

profile gallery send pm

will hold off on the flea/tick medication then! I wasn't sure if people did 'preventative' against fleas and ticks or not. I live in Oregon, so I wouldn't say it's a big flea/tick area, like the south.

Thanks for the recommendation on the BillJac treats. See, this is exactly why I'm asking, because I've never heard of them!

Marla, Great suggestion on the smaller size for a travel carrier. I guess I'll have to get 2, one for when she is really small and then a bigger one for when she is grown. Maybe I'll borrow a friend's cat carrier for the puppy stage. Do you think that would work?

And boo on ripping apart a dog bed. Of course, that is to be expected, but I would be bummed. I guess waiting to see if she is a ripper-upper is a sensible idea!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

my youngest pup is allergic to red dye which was pretty hard to figure out..she kept a constant ear infection/red smelly ears and was pretty rowdy and the vet had us change her food to one w/out it to see if it was the problem..she was a diff dog in 2 days.

I'd just get a crate, a blanket that you make sure and rub or have the breeder put near mama dog, dog food and a collar to start then go from there.

We do flea/tick prevention here but I'm also in the south and they are BAD here. Mine take an all in one pill for heartwork/fleas/and parasite (Trifexis). I do switch to just heartworm in the winter to save some $$ since the fleas are pretty dormant in winter.

what else...my dogs love rawhides with the meat inside..the vet said my dogs have the best teeth lol pretty sure that's why.

If I think of anything more I'll come back and post

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I'd probably hold off on a bed too. If you are crate training, you won't have a bed in there anyway (or they may potty on it) and our dog showed no interest in his bed, actually until this month when we shaved all his fur off! Well, I should amend that to say that the only interest he showed in his bed before was . . . um . . . amorous interest.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
Yeah, I'd probably hold off on a bed too. If you are crate training, you won't have a bed in there anyway (or they may potty on it) and our dog showed no interest in his bed, actually until this month when we shaved all his fur off! Well, I should amend that to say that the only interest he showed in his bed before was . . . um . . . amorous interest.
lmbo totally thought of the dog and duck from Click? Did you see that movie?

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 02-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No, but I might have to see it now!
Old 02-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'd ask about the flea medicine when you take her to the vet. We're in Ohio. Our "puppy" is almost 3 and has always been on Advantage and we've never had any issues . . . until this winter! Apparently some fleas are getting resistant to the Advantage. I'd been getting these strange random bug bites since before Christmas and jokingly said maybe I had fleas. My DD then informed she had seen a couple fleas on the dog. She was due for the vet anyways, so they treated her (although she is not itching and they couldn't find any fleas on her at the time) and Termnix came out & treated. We've still seen an occasional flea on her and I just found a bite this morning on me. We're supposed to give it 2 weeks (that would be Monday) and then call Terminix again. Sorry for the long post, LOL! Guess my point is you don't want to give the fleas a chance to get started if you can avoid it!!! The vet can let you know how at risk you would be for your area.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
that doesn't surprise me because Journey (the mama dog) is actually from Arizona. My breeder got her in Arizona and brought her to Washington. From what I understand, there are a couple really wonderful breeders of American Eskimo dogs down in Arizona.
Oh, I didn't know that! That's cool. This one was just perfect, so I figured she was a pure-breed.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:12 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
I'd just get a crate, a blanket that you make sure and rub or have the breeder put near mama dog, dog food and a collar to start then go from there.
when you all are talking about a blanket for the crate, are you meaning a fullsize blanket, or like a baby receiving blanket, or ??
Old 02-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Julie I have a large-ish size crate for my little Haggis but when he was a little puppy I blocked off half of it as has been said before if the crate is too big they can just go to the other side of it away from where he sleeps to wee. Once he got toilet trained and a bit bigger we took the divider away to make his nest bigger and then I didn't have to buy another one as he grew. I have a smaller version of the crate that sits on the back seat of my car and Haggis always travels in it whilst we are in the car and Dad has one on the back seat of his car. Whilst he doesn't sleep in it now (he snuggles with me in bed) we still have his crate at the back of our living room behind the sofa and he hops in it whenever we go out of the house and have to leave him alone, to be honest it's not very often as he usually comes with us wherever we are going but we still put him in a few times a week just in case we ever have an emergency and we need him to go in it
Old 02-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Haggis just has fleecy blankets from IKEA, he has them in his crates because they are really easy to throw in the washing machine every couple of days and they dry quickly