Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > Long Term Projects

Old 12-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree
Question Thinking of doing Project Life in 2013 - some questions!!!

So I'm thinking of doing my own version of Project Life for next year, to replace my Month In Review pages but I have a few questions:

1. do you take photos everyday?
2. Do you journal everyday?
3. How big is your album...I mean how many pages? Am I looking at a 365 page book/binder??
4. How many page protectors have you used?? 365? Can you use (or did you use) front and back

for example this page protector has 8 slots...did you only us it for 8 or did you use the "back" too so you could use it for 16 "things"?

I've already looked through the thread here and love what I see....but they all look like the traditional Project Life style....did anyone do something different? can you link me up to ones that have inspired you??

Thanks a million guys....I'm kind of getting excited about this and I wanna get stuff planned!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

While I failed at 2012, I plan on using my supplies to start over and do 2013.
I do not plan on taking a photo or journaling every day. I snap photos and jot things down as they come to me, and I like to tell the story of the WEEK, instead of each day. So if something important happens one week, I give that story more precedence in the spread for that week (maybe 3 photos and 4 journaling spots, for example).
I think a lot of the traditional style albums end up being 2 binders full, but I'm sure someone else can chime in. It depends on how much you save/embellish/etc. I know some of the PL CT end up doing 3 binders.
That page protector that you linked to is meant to fill half a week. 4 photos and 4 journaling cards, and you would traditionally use 2 of them next to each other to tell the story of the week (one of the 4x6 slots is for a "title" of sorts, to specify what week it is, or the dates). There are 60 page protectors in the Big Packs, and you only NEED 1 big pack. You use each slot twice. The front for 1 week, and the back for another.
There really is no "traditional" Project Life anymore. You certainly can use it for a P365 (and then you would take a photo a day, and journal each day) if you want.

ETA: Check this out
http://www.beckyhiggins.com/products...ng-started.php
And this
http://www.beckyhiggins.com/products...oject-life.php

Last edited by ColleenSwerb; 12-21-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

1. do you take photos everyday? almost, but just by choice
2. Do you journal everyday? no.
3. How big is your album...I mean how many pages? Am I looking at a 365 page book/binder?? I am doing the paper version and I did 6 months in one album. It's a very very full album right now. next year I am doing 4 months per album.
4. How many page protectors have you used?? 365? Can you use (or did you use) front and back I use front and back. I have a full spread for each week of design A- 8 4x6 slots plus 8 3x4 slots and add inserts as needed for events and such.

my blog has some of my layouts from earlier this year, and I need to update it this week now that I finally have everything caught up basically from the entire year. jennifermerkley.wordpress.com
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I was too excited to wait till 2013, so I've already started mine as a jump start to see what works for me, what style I'm more comfortable with. I'm not doing the 'traditional' way.

The reason I didn't start until now is that there is no way I can take a photo a day. I tried for 2 years and failed. Many of the weekdays are just routine.. I drop off kids to school, I go to work, I pick them up from school, they get to their homework, while I work for few more hours from home. There is nothing unique about each day. While my weekends could be super busy..and just one photo for a day wouldn't do justice.

So, I've decided to do it my way. Skip the days when nothing happened and cover as much as I can for the busy days. Here's my 5 pages that I've done so far, which should give you the idea. For almost a month, I have 4-5 browsers open with P365 thread to get inspiration along with few other sites. I know the importance of the project and I WANT to do it, but I don't want the restrictions to stop me from even starting it. So, here's my take on it:
This page is from just 2 days - Sat/Sun and included journaling on the same page.

Here's page where I have photos from only 2 days of the weekdays. But Those two days covers enough to make up for missing days.

I made entire page of the journaling... since I want to include more of the story than just the 'highlight' of the photo. I was inspired by Angie's LOs.

Again, weekend packed with activities, so it took up entire page and 13 photos and no place for journaling.

so, here comes the journaling page.

This is not how all of my pages will be. I keep going back and forth if I want to keep the book uniformed, with similar look or try out different styles. So, I'll just go with the flow. Most important thing for me is to document the life. Mine is digital, so I may break up my book in 100 pages for each book? I don't know yet. Depends on how often I scrap!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well mine are in the thread, and they are pretty traditionally PL. I feel like there is a lot of freedom, though. Some weeks, I only do one page, and other weeks I do a 2 page spread plus 1 or 2 inserts.
I use the design that has 4 6x6 to put layouts sometimes, like here:

Sometimes I just use it for big photos

or cut it in half as an insert like here:

I also have do 2 page spreads for special events, instead of confining it all to one week.

I do NOT take pictures every day; I do mine as a weekly recap. I've also been trying to incorporate pieces of everyday life, like the wii games & tv shows he kids like, what we're reading, dinner, etc.

I bought the big variety pack (60) and I put it all in one album, no problem.

Susan Weinroth and Cathy Z inspire me, as well as Amanda.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

no, some days are just represented by journaling, memorabilia or not at all if nothing happened that was "book worthy"

no, sometimes it's just a pic

3. How big is your album...I mean how many pages? Am I looking at a 365 page book/binder??

I have one binder for all of this year and I did two page spreads each week with a few inserts. It's full and if I had more "stuff" in it, I might have needed two, but going mostly digital and printing out the pics to put in the protectors it's ok.

4. How many page protectors have you used?? 365?

I bought the big pack of 60 of Design A and have some left. I mixed in about 15 other styles throughout the year, but seemed to always go back to A. If you figure 1 per week since you'll be using both sides then you would just need 54 (including your front and back pages).

Good luck! It's been super fun this year doing it the PL way. (P.S. Before the end of the year, there will be a new tutorial added here about how I did mine.)

Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies!!! Lot of good info here and ideas!!! One question....Kellie and Tracy, what are these "inserts" that you both mentioned!?!?!

Thanks ladies!!!

Elizabeth

Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I take a photo every day because I have an app on my phone that prompts me to do that and puts it in a calendar form. However, I don't always use those photos in my PL album. I use the photos that tell a story. I do that either by using Cathy Zielske's photo/journal templates or by using a photo and adding a journal card.

I don't do a spread a week or a day or whatever. I just do the stories I want to tell. I do my cards/photos digital, then print and slip into actual PL plastics. I sometimes will plan a whole page with a theme (for example, if I did a photo shoot with my kids, or one page for Thanksgiving with my family) but mostly I just print and fit in page protectors and let it all come together organically. I do try to keep colors and fonts similiar so it flows well.

I just add binders as I need them. I don't do a binder per year or six months or whatever. I'll just add them as my current binder gets full.

The great thing about Project Life is there's no right or wrong way to do it. It's about doing what works for you. Planning spreads and coordinating didn't work for me, so I just do what comes naturally.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Project Life has been so much fun this year!

I've tried taking a photo every day, and was really good about it at times and not so good at others. I really didn't stress about it, though. I have a few weeks, mostly over the summer when the boys were away, that I only used one page per week (so, two weeks per spread), but most weeks were a 2-page spread.

I tend to mostly use 4x6 photos with a few 3x4's mixed in when I want a few extra photos for the week. I journal about most of the photos on the 3x4 cards. My intent isn't to document everything that we do, just enough of the highlights and "everyday" kind of photos to give the flavor of our life at the time. When I want to scrap multiple photos, I usually do a 12x12 layout that goes in another album.

I used a big pack of 60 Design A page protectors and have a few left over. I did use a few inserts, like the others were mentioning. For my inserts, I cut down a Design A protector so that it holds fewer photos. There are also other designs that Becky Higgins makes that are smaller - 6x12, 8-1/2x11, and many others. Generally, when I think "insert", I think anything that's smaller than 12x12. I've also used the 6x12 protectors to hold school event programs, and have even just hole-punched brochures and put them in the album directly.

Last year I used the Cherry Edition core kit and journaled directly on the cards. I think for 2013, I'm going to get the Seafoam Edition kit, but print the journaling on from the computer. I've started going back to 2011 and making the cards from my scrappy supplies and I really like the look of the journaling printed on the cards in a typewriter font. We'll see how that goes.

Like Kellie, I like Cathy Z's album. I also liked looking at Ali Edwards' pages.

Most of all, I'd say to do what you want with the project and have fun with it!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
One question....Kellie and Tracy, what are these "inserts" that you both mentioned!?!?!
I have some 8-1/2 x 11 photo page protectors (I think I got them from an office supply store) that I use for special events when I want to add in an extra page of photos for the week. They have 5 slots for 3-1/2 x 5 photos on them so I can get an extra 10 pics in for the week.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

It's like each week is a 2 pg spread, and you can add inserts between those two pages, pretty much anything smaller than 12x12 so that the week is still encased within the spread. I use the 6x12 page protectes, like here:

Cindy's builders are perfect for this, btw.
I also use 5x7 and 8 1/2x11 page protectors, and a few times I've cut the Design A in half to make an insert.It's basically just a way to fit more into a week.
Here I used an 8.5x11 insert:
Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to add that I use 12x12 page protecters some, too, like here:

I think this is SO versatile, and I really love it. One week I only took 3 pictures and couldn't remember anything that happened except that one event, so I made a one sided page about that event, and it's one of my favorite pages in the album. You can just do whatever makes you happy, and you'll figure it out as you go.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I make digital Project Life pages and I highly recommend it.

Yes, I started a 365 project 2 1/2 years ago and have never stopped. It's just a habit that I have like showering. haha.

No- but I just added a new app called Day One to my iPhone and it asks me three times a day what I'm doing. I usually type something in quick.

I also rely heavily on my pictures and facebook to remind me what was going on each day.

I will be printing mine all into a photo book, but I expect it will be well over a hundred pages. I will print my other "typical" scrapbook pages in the same 2012 book, so it will probably be really big. lol.

4. How many page protectors have you used?? 365?

I use Traci's free ones she released early in the year. Funny enough, I also planned on using the other ones (and bought them) but haven't actually used them yet. I stick to the normal 4x6 & 3x4 page 100% of the time. Maybe I will expand out a little bit in 2013.

Project Life can become time intensive, but I encourage you to stick it out. Having the entire record of the year is pretty awesome!
Old 12-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlathrall View Post

I also rely heavily on my pictures and facebook to remind me what was going on each day.
It so funny you mention this Marla, I just spent the better part of the last three days doing this to caught up my Month in Review journaling!!! Between facebook, my blog, my photos and my family calendar I think I got all those highlights!!!

Thanks so much ladies!!! For all the inspiration and the info and advise!!! I'm getting excited!!! And I know that it can really be anything you want it to be and I was kind of looking for everyone take on it because I'm wanting this to be SIMPLE!!! *lol* I still want to scrap everyday like I have been for the last 6 years...but I just want those things that don't make it into the BIG pages to be documented!!!

I can't wait to gathering my supplies....I've already wishlisted a TON of stuff on Amazon and I plan to start buying as soon as Christmas is over!!!

Elizabeth

Old 12-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKim View Post

The great thing about Project Life is there's no right or wrong way to do it. It's about doing what works for you. Planning spreads and coordinating didn't work for me, so I just do what comes naturally.
THIS!!!

I've only been doing this for 2 weeks, but I sooo agree with it!

I just ran into this post thru Becky Higgins' blog and love the message it sends!

http://tracy-larsen.com/blog/the-heart-of-project-life/ This has inspired me and motived me to commit to this project.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well I have goodies on the way to my house!!! I think I'm doing it way different then anyone's I seen yet!!! *lol* 12x12 just feels way to big to me so I decided to go the 8.5x11 route!!!

Here is the album and the first set of pages I ordered!!

I was also at the Dollar Tree tonight picking up tape and at the check out they had BaseBall card sheet things in a clip so I grab a pack of those too!!!

I can't wait to get the goodies in the mail!!!

Elizabeth

Last edited by mummytothree; 12-22-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ooh, congrats, Elizabeth! Enjoy!!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

seet Elizabeth...I have done something different every year for the past 3 years (totally behind in 2012) but this year I am going to do super simple....

like this but in digital format

so I am going to use some of Janet's templates and make them super simple

I don't take a picture a day, but I do however journal everyday

Last edited by nun69; 01-01-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Love it Angie and well...I decided to go totally digital too!!! Mine is gonna be totally simple too, kind of like this that I am doing to catch up with my Month in Review pages...

but I'm gonna obviously have more pages and more journaling!!

Elizabeth

Old 01-02-2013, 10:00 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh and I wanted to let you know there might be a template set coming out this weekend that you will want to check out!!!

Elizabeth

Old 01-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The template set rocks.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

No way! Every week, yes. My hubby bought me an iPhone for my birthday last year... mainly so I could use the camera and Instagram. LOL!

Yes. I make a note about each day in a separate journal. It gave me an excuse to buy and use something pretty.

Mine is 12 x 12 and I think I did so much this year, I'm going to need to get another album to hold all of 2012...

4. How many page protectors have you used?? 365? Can you use (or did you use) front and back

I have done many two-page spreads for one week. But lately, I've done more one-pagers. So I can get 2 weeks to a page that way... or about 26 some pages? I only ordered 24 this year.

If you'd like to see mine, there are some pictures on my blog, here:

http://nicole.webseitler.com/category/project-life/

But only through Week 5. I have had NO time to take pictures of this thing... only time to live life and try to scrap about it. LOL!