Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-09-2021, 07:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Computer Mouse Recommendation

The last month or so I have had to purchase two new Logitech mice for my computer. The two that moved with me, didn't seem to be working. One the button wouldn't click. The other, the zoom wheel wouldn't move. So I used my father's wired mouse until my new mice arrived. Fast forward to yesterday, I had a Logitech update for my mouse and driver. Now the mouse is glitchy and won't stay connected to my computer. It connects, I move the mouse and it immediately disconnects.

I've read that Logitech has issues with Windows 10 (which is what I have running on my computer), but I'm stuck with this terrible mouse (I already sent the one back) that isn't staying connected and I have to physically shut my computer down every time it goes to sleep for it to register to the mouse.

Does anyone have any mice suggestions, preferably one that is on the smaller side since I have small hands?

Last edited by Neverland Scraps; 09-09-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:41 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I use a Verbatim ergonomic mouse. Works really well.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:58 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

darn that sucks! I use a logitech mouse with my mac - it's just a cheap mouse but I am just so used to the feel of this one that any other type makes me grumpy haha. It's the M100.. seriously super basic.. it's wired
Old 09-09-2021, 11:15 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Another Logitech user here - have used for years but the last one seemed to fizzle out a bit faster I think - who knows, might just have been my imagination. I just bought this one in May - Logitech ERGO M575 Wireless Trackball Mouse. I love a trackball mouse. I've had one for years and can draw pretty well with my thumb in PS

Old 09-09-2021, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’m another Logitech user here, super basic mouse though so no real recommendations from me.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 09-09-2021, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've got an HP mouse that never gives me any problems.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No recs from me. I've got some off brand vertical ergo mouse. I just came to say I've always had issues with wireless mice and Windows. No matter how close the receiver is I get glitches every now and again. I'm currently looking for a wired vertical ergo.
lol

Old 09-09-2021, 01:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I've been really happy with my ThinkPad bluetooth laser mouse from Lenovo. I'm not sure about the size though but I know that brand makes a super thin one.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:09 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I've always used Logitech as well. I preferred the cordless but had problems with it not working. I had a mouse/keyboard combo and both started having issues. I'd put new batteries in thinking that was problem but sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. It got to the point that they would just not respond. And, I tried several different ones. I finally determined that it was because of the transmitter dongle being plugged into the computer USB port and because of the location, the signal just wasn't getting to where it needed to be. When I had a cordless that had the transmitter connecting to the computer with a cord and it sat on the desk I never had the problem that I had with the USB dongles.

So I switched to a corded keyboard/mouse combo from Logitech. No problems but I do hate the cords. I wish I could move the computer but it is in the best spot for me to get to the USB ports and the power button so I guess I have to deal with cords.

All of mine had been very basic models as well. None of this ergonomic stuff for me.
Old 09-09-2021, 02:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've got a Logitech too.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiana View Post
No recs from me. I've got some off brand vertical ergo mouse. I just came to say I've always had issues with wireless mice and Windows. No matter how close the receiver is I get glitches every now and again. I'm currently looking for a wired vertical ergo.
lol
So then are you suggesting the only way to go is through wired?

I never had this issue until I moved here and everything is plugged in to a smart plug. I often joke with my father that I think that is part of the problem!
Old 09-09-2021, 03:36 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I've always used Logitech as well. I preferred the cordless but had problems with it not working. I had a mouse/keyboard combo and both started having issues. I'd put new batteries in thinking that was problem but sometimes it worked, other times it didn't. It got to the point that they would just not respond. And, I tried several different ones. I finally determined that it was because of the transmitter dongle being plugged into the computer USB port and because of the location, the signal just wasn't getting to where it needed to be. When I had a cordless that had the transmitter connecting to the computer with a cord and it sat on the desk I never had the problem that I had with the USB dongles.

So I switched to a corded keyboard/mouse combo from Logitech. No problems but I do hate the cords. I wish I could move the computer but it is in the best spot for me to get to the USB ports and the power button so I guess I have to deal with cords.

All of mine had been very basic models as well. None of this ergonomic stuff for me.
I'm looking at the ergonomic ones and I'm not sure if I would tolerate the new feel under my hands.

i guess I'm going back to corded because I've owned bluetooth, wireless laser and optical, but all seem to give me issues.

I too thought it was my batteries!
Old 09-09-2021, 03:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post

I never had this issue until I moved here and everything is plugged in to a smart plug. I often joke with my father that I think that is part of the problem!
That's what's worked for me.

Old 09-09-2021, 04:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

I've encountered problems with Smart Plugs causing interference with wireless signals, so all jokes aside, that might actually be the problem.

I'm a Logitech user - I bought the MX Master mouse when it first came out in 2015, and after 6 years of hard use, the internal battery wasn't maintaining a charge like it used to, so I just upgraded to the MX Master 3. (The additional buttons and scroll wheels that can be customized by application are a scrapbooker's dream! The thumb wheel to increase and decrease brush size is one of my favorites, next to the extra thumb buttons to step forward and back through History... but I digress.)

On my mouse, I have the option for 3 different wireless channels. When I've had a flaky connection, I first turn it off and back on. Sometimes just forcing it to re-pair to the computer takes care of the problem. If not, I go into the driver, then flip the mouse over and press the button to change the channel from 1, to 2, to 3, until I find one that's responding.

However in my studio, where I've positioned my mobile workstation, I've had to move the wireless dongle to a USB port on a specific side of the machine so it's closer to where I mouse. If it's on the other side, it's too far away, and gets too much interference from the other stuff running on the back side of the wall.

One more thought: I know when I got my original MX Master it came with a cord you could use to extend where your dongle was placed. That way if you needed it closer to where you moused, you plugged the USB cord into your machine, then plugged the dongle into the other end of the USB cable, and laid it closer to where you worked. Perhaps this is something you could try before you abandon wireless entirely?

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 09-09-2021, 06:15 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I should also say that the cordless mouse works great on my laptop. Probably because there is hardly any space between the dongle and the mouse when I use it. That mouse is also a Logitech and smaller in size. When it gets problematic I know it is because of batteries.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiekey View Post
I've encountered problems with Smart Plugs causing interference with wireless signals, so all jokes aside, that might actually be the problem.

One more thought: I know when I got my original MX Master it came with a cord you could use to extend where your dongle was placed. That way if you needed it closer to where you moused, you plugged the USB cord into your machine, then plugged the dongle into the other end of the USB cable, and laid it closer to where you worked. Perhaps this is something you could try before you abandon wireless entirely?
Well then . . . that would make sense because the last few weeks my father has been giving me more and more of his smart plugs (they drive me bonkers -- all of my motion activated nightlights are on smart plugs ). I didn't think they'd interfere, but it would make sense that my father has abandoned his wireless for a wire mouse in his office!!

I do have a usb hub that I've put the dongle in. I have it almost directly in front of it, but it still loses connection all the time.

I just ordered a wired mouse from Amazon. We'll see how well that one works and if it the wire drives me bonkers.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I should also say that the cordless mouse works great on my laptop. Probably because there is hardly any space between the dongle and the mouse when I use it. That mouse is also a Logitech and smaller in size. When it gets problematic I know it is because of batteries.
That's what threw me off!! The mouse works perfectly on my laptop!!
Old 09-09-2021, 07:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I do have a usb hub that I've put the dongle in. I have it almost directly in front of it, but it still loses connection all the time.
Oh! That may be part of the problem right there - I've never been able to get the Logitech wireless mouse or keyboard to work correctly if the dongle is plugged into a USB hub. It has to be plugged directly into one of the USB ports on my motherboard. Otherwise it regularly loses its connection, just as you've described.

Writing & creating (but mostly writing) for The Sweet Shoppe!
Old 09-09-2021, 09:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I wonder if having it in a hub worsens any problems you're having, making any connection delays worse because the signal has to travel through more connections.

My son and I both use the Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse. He's had his for about 3 years and loves it. The way his computer and mouse are situated, he's only got about 6 inches between his mouse and the USB port connector thing. He uses it for gaming where quick response is essential, and he doesn't have problems.

I've only had mine about 3 months. My computer and mouse are about 2.5 feet apart, and the computer is 15 inches higher than the mouse. (I'm using an external monitor, so the laptop is on a shelf rather than the desk itself.) Most of the time it works perfectly, but every once in a while the mouse isn't as responsive as it should be. Often when that happens it's because I've put a cup or something else something between the mouse and the laptop, but sometimes it's when the computer is just running a little slow overall.

We just bought a 3rd M510 for my son's computer from school. It seems to have arrived broken, but Logitech customer service has been good and there's a new one on its way to us.

I hope you're able to get everything working well!

ETA: At first I said it was a laser mouse, but I'm not entirely sure so I took that out. In one place Logitech says it has "laser grade tracking" and in another it says "high precision optical tracking."

Last edited by rach3975; 09-09-2021 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 10:16 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I wonder if having it in a hub worsens any problems you're having, making any connection delays worse because the signal has to travel through more connections.

My son and I both use the Logitech M510 Wireless Laser Mouse. He's had his for about 3 years and loves it. The way his computer and mouse are situated, he's only got about 6 inches between his mouse and the USB port connector thing. He uses it for gaming where quick response is essential, and he doesn't have problems.

I've only had mine about 3 months. My computer and mouse are about 2.5 feet apart, and the computer is 15 inches higher than the mouse. (I'm using an external monitor, so the laptop is on a shelf rather than the desk itself.) Most of the time it works perfectly, but every once in a while the mouse isn't as responsive as it should be. Often when that happens it's because I've put a cup or something else something between the mouse and the laptop, but sometimes it's when the computer is just running a little slow overall.

We just bought a 3rd M510 for my son's computer from school. It seems to have arrived broken, but Logitech customer service has been good and there's a new one on its way to us.

I hope you're able to get everything working well!
I do think the distance between the USB dongle and the mouse (and keyboard in my case) was the problem for me. My computer is about 2 feet to the left of the keyboard with the mouse to the right of the keyboard. And, my desk has the pull out keyboard tray that I used with the cordless keyboard/mouse so they both had the desk interference as well. Even moving the cordless to the top of the desk didn't help because of the distance. And, I was using a front USB port as well.

I know those dongles keep from having extra things on the desk but IMO they need to go back to the little transmitter that had the cord connection to the USB port. I never had a problem with that one. Used it for a long time until I spilled a bottle of pop on the desk hitting both the keyboard and the mouse.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've always used Logitech, but really would benefit from ergonomic mouse. They're so expensive though...I don't want to spend all that money on one and then hate it
Old 09-10-2021, 12:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just buy an inexpensive mouse from Meijer, Target or Walmart. It has a battery and a plug for my computer. Works just fine!

Now I'm wondering what all these fancy mouses are you all seem to use! But, I'll stick to my cheap-O no name...works better for the budget! Just turn it off when not in use, replace batteries if it isn't working, and if it really is glitchy, purchase another one for less than $10!
Old 09-10-2021, 01:43 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegirl View Post
I just buy an inexpensive mouse from Meijer, Target or Walmart. It has a battery and a plug for my computer. Works just fine!

Now I'm wondering what all these fancy mouses are you all seem to use! But, I'll stick to my cheap-O no name...works better for the budget! Just turn it off when not in use, replace batteries if it isn't working, and if it really is glitchy, purchase another one for less than $10!
The Logitech I've always used are the cheaper ones and I've always gotten them at Wal-Mart. Maybe $15.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:44 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Logitech wireless here. The cheap one from Walmart. I also have Win10 and have had no issues unless the battery was going. Since it lasts so long, I keep forgetting that yes, at some point I do need to replace it! (Even with the light changing from green to red when it is dying!)

Old 09-10-2021, 10:42 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I have some cheap $10 microsoft cordless mouse from about 7 years ago that i bought at best buy.