Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Halo 4- yay or nay

So my ds asked me for this game and he's 10.. My dh is not a gamer and neither am I or my bil's, so I can't ask them.

For those of you that do have it or have dh's that have it. Would you let your 10 year old play it and purchase it for them?

Inform me please..

Old 11-08-2012, 11:58 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

me personally, no I wouldn't for my youngest. My youngest son is 9.5 years old and my oldest is almost 21. My oldest son has all the Halo games and he says it's too graphic and violent for Logan to see. It's rated "mature" which is 17+ years old.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

No here, too.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

I am in the minority here because I have 4 boys the oldest is 17 next month, then 15 next month, 9 and 6 it's super hard to not let the younger kids see when the older kids are playing. But that being said if I only had 1 kid that was 10, I wouldn't let him/her play or buy it for them. Though I may be biased as a gamer myself. I just don't really like Halo and I never have. It makes me want to throw up from the motion of the screen when I play so I just don't like it.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Gotta be more appropriate than this!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't, though my oldest boy is 9, so not sure what I'll do in the future!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
me personally, no I wouldn't for my youngest. My youngest son is 9.5 years old and my oldest is almost 21. My oldest son has all the Halo games and he says it's too graphic and violent for Logan to see. It's rated "mature" which is 17+ years old.
Best review, IMHO. My oldest is 20 as well and is very protective of his little brother, I feel so blessed - I'd have no clue otherwise and just say no to everything to be safe

Old 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I do not know this game personally, but IMO it depends on the maturity of your son. If he understands its just make believe, I would be ok with it. I am more laid back on what people watch though. I don't think watching violence will make you violent. I watch a lot of violet movies though.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd say no. I just started letting my 14 year old twins (and I have a 18 and 20 year old) play mature games. Yes, they did see the older boys playing some, but not much because they always had their own game system to play in a different room.

Last edited by maryinaz; 11-08-2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Oops...I forgot my 17 year old is now 18! :P
Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

This is all great input.

I'm not sure yet which way to go because his cousin brings the game over and play's when we step out he's 15. My ds knows it's all fake and just a game but I still have my own yay's and nay's!

Traci that totally made me lol...

Thank you

Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

These choices are always surprisingly hard! I probably wouldn't allow my 10 year old to play that game. Even if they know it's not real, I still worry about it desensitizing them to violence.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My dh has played Halo for several years and ds (now 14) got into it a couple years ago. (He's getting #4 for Christmas). I am okay with my kid playing it but after reading this

Parents need to know that Halo 4 is a sci-fi-themed first-person shooter in which players take on the role of an enhanced super-soldier to kill hundreds of alien enemies in story mode and potentially thousands of human avatars in online matches. Unlike many other first-person shooters, there's no foul language or gore, but there is plenty of blood -- aliens bleed yellow and blue, humans bleed red -- plus new cinematic animations that make hand-to-hand combat kills appear more dramatic. This version of Halo ups the ante in terms of violence as players can now watch Master Chief violently beating his opponents to death. Parents should be aware, too, that this game supports open online communication with strangers.

I probably would be iffy about getting it for a 10 year old. I'm a little disappointed that the violence has been amped up. I thought the other three were similarish to Star Wars Battlefront and I don't remember them having blood.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

What other games is he allowed to play? I'm just trying get a comparison as to what he would usually be allowed play. x